Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve: can I decline rental car insurance at the counter?  (Read 2298 times)

Swat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just got the CSR card and love all the great benefits. While there are many, one that I was particularly looking at with an upcoming trip is rental car insurance protection. A quick read suggested you're covered up to $75k of collision/theft but didn't seem to cover liability if anyone got hurt (if I read it correctly).

-Do most people decline the additional coverage?
-If you do get into an accident and there is injury/liability, is it typically covered by your auto policy? What about umbrella insurance? 

I'm just trying to make sure that I am appropriately covered in the event of an (very unlikely) scenario where I get in a major accident driving a rental car and there are injuries to other parties. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
1) Yes. Decline it all.
2a) Yes (but be aware of deductibles).
2b) I don't know.

IrishMustacian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What if you have the CSR card but don't own a car (and therefore don't have any car insurance)? Is it okay to only use the coverage provided for free by the CSR card when you rent a car on occasion?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Check your auto policy if you own a car. Often the coverage extends to the rental the same as your vehicle. Between that and my credit card coverage, I never take the rental policy.

What if you have the CSR card but don't own a car (and therefore don't have any car insurance)? Is it okay to only use the coverage provided for free by the CSR card when you rent a car on occasion?

Read and understand the policy, but yes, it covers everything your regular auto insurance would cover, with a couple important exclusions.

https://www.chase.com/content/chasecom/en/card-benefits/benefit-details/Sapphire/sapphire-damage-waiver-primary-consumer.html

Someone who actually used the coverage:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2018/03/05/my-experience-using-chase-sapphire-reserve-rental-car-insurance/