Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Preferred Question  (Read 6120 times)

thedrone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Chase Sapphire Preferred Question
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »
I was reading the terms and it says that existing card members do not qualify for the extra bonus.

I have an existing Chase credit card (not sapphire preferred.)

If I apply for this card, would I be eligible for the 40,000 bonus points?  Just curious if anyone knows or if they did the same thing.

Thanks for your help!

mrigney

• Stubble
    • Running of the Fools
Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
You should be eligible. Existing card members refers to people w/a Chase Sapphire card. Great card, btw!

$200k

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
I held three other Chase credit cards and did qualify for the bonus.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
Holy crap this is a nice looking card.  I just got mine.  Thanks for the clarifying question about the bonus. 

Another one (that I assume would be of mutual interest, if not then sorry for threadjacking): You get an extra 5,000 points for adding an authorized user (after you fulfill the terms of the 40,000 bonus).  An authorized user gets a hard pull on their credit score so I didn't want to put my spouse.  I put my business name.  It's unofficial, not registered anywhere, doesn't have a bank account, basically just what I put on the invoices so I seem more legit.  Anyway, should that work?  If no one knows I'll report back when I know, but that won't be for a few months.

apoclater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
Holy crap this is a nice looking card.  I just got mine.  Thanks for the clarifying question about the bonus. 

Another one (that I assume would be of mutual interest, if not then sorry for threadjacking): You get an extra 5,000 points for adding an authorized user (after you fulfill the terms of the 40,000 bonus).  An authorized user gets a hard pull on their credit score so I didn't want to put my spouse.  I put my business name.  It's unofficial, not registered anywhere, doesn't have a bank account, basically just what I put on the invoices so I seem more legit.  Anyway, should that work?  If no one knows I'll report back when I know, but that won't be for a few months.

That's not true.  You can add an authorized user called McLovin McPoop and you'll be fine. 

Ok, I wouldn't actually do that, but your credit report is based on social security number, not a name.  Adding an authorized user just says they can use the card and you're liable to pay the bill.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I know it was contradictory cuz they didn't get any # for my business name, but this is what it says:
For authorized users, this account will be reported to the credit reporting agencies as an authorized user's account. This could potentially impact an authorized user's credit score. If my spouse is an authorized user when the account is opened, he/she will not be able to remove the account or account history from the credit bureau report.
I guess that might just be hot air.  And then I googled around and other people were saying being an authorized user meant a credit check or that it was being reported because it was suggested as a way to build or rebuild your credit if you couldn't get a card yourself to get made an authorized user on a relative's card. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
You can actually already have a Chase Sapphire card, just a different variety. 

At one point I had four different Chase cards (different types).  For three of them, I got an "invitation" to convert them to Chase Sapphire cards for a $200 bonus.  Done.  I have three Chase Sapphire cards (Visa Signature, Mastercard, Preferred)

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »
Chase didn't pull my credit when my wife added me as an authorized user on her Sapphire Preferred. The account shows up on my report, but no hard inquiry from Chase.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:56:05 AM »

Not to threadjack myself, but speaking of interesting looking cards... does anyone else have a Capital One VentureOne? I just got mine in the mail, and, um...

That picture doesn't even do it justice. It's a gaudy gold thing that just SHINES. It looks like C3PO in my wallet. I seriously don't even want to pull the card out and use it, it's so ridiculous.