Author Topic: vegetarian casseroles (or freezer meals)?  (Read 1905 times)

lentil

• Stubble
vegetarian casseroles (or freezer meals)?
« on: September 04, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »
It's the time of year when we repopulate the chest freezer. I usually make some big lasagna-ish pasta bakes, but would love ideas for other frozen casserole-type meals. (Vegetarian) things I can make, freeze, and then pop into the oven on some chilly autumn evening. Anyone want to share a favorite?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
Re: vegetarian casseroles (or freezer meals)?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
I would love to see the responses too. I bought a chest freezer recently and can't wait to fill it up! I've never done casseroles before but I like freezing soup. One favorite is this Vegetarian Moroccan Stew.

Dianalou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
One I really like is a Weight Watchers recipe, but me and my husband both really like it and it freezes well:

1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 cup(s) canned yellow corn, drained, or frozen, thawed corn kernels
1 Tbsp canned green chili peppers, chopped, mild or hot
15 oz canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup(s) long grain cooked brown rice, fresh or day old
7/8 cup(s) Mexican style blend shredded cheese
3/4 cup(s) fat free sour cream (or plain greek yogurt works great too)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), chopped (dark green part only)
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 2-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine corn, chilies, beans, rice, 3/4 cup of cheese, sour cream, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir in scallions.

Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and casserole is slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes to firm up before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.

I usually use whatever other veggies I have around that could go in (like bell peppers, onions, etc) and use chili beans in sauce instead of the regular pinto beans. Double it, put it in a foil pan and it freezes great!

secondchance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »
Stuffed peppers are my go-to freezer food.

Whenever I have extra rice pilaf, jambalaya, etc I stuff green peppers with the leftovers.  Any kind of flavorful rice will do.  Then freeze them and store in gallon ziplocs.  One makes a perfect lunch! 

Or for nostalgia value, you can serve them like my mom did.  Nestle them into a pan of marinara sauce, bake until hot through (warning: takes longer from frozen than you expect), and serve ladled over white rice.

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »
I’ve made most of these and have really enjoyed them:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thekitchn.com/15-vegetarian-freezer-meals-for-easy-weeknight-dinners-recipes-from-the-kitchn-205039

Bonus - there is a good variety here and not all casseroles. The lentil pockets are absolutely amazing, but they take a lot of work to make.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 04:11:39 AM »
Thanks for this @briesas  -- The pierogi recipe looks amazing.  Definitely going to try that this fall. 

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »
Hearty lentil/bean type soups are awesome, can take them for either lunch or dinner

Waffles and pancakes freeze well for breakfasts (not the most healthy though). Ours are vegan but I think they freeze well with eggs and milk too.

If you can bulk buy good veggies, you can make a more economical version of the store bought frozen veggie mix bags, makes for effortless stir-fry (guilty of buying lots of those bags)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!