Author Topic: Has becoming a Mustachian made you a terrible gift giver?  (Read 14669 times)

icemodeled

• Stubble
Re: Has becoming a Mustachian made you a terrible gift giver?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
I have done well for quite awhile on buying necessary purchases and knowing what is worth the money and what isnt. My husband, well hes still a work in progress! Yes, each Christmas I change more and more of opinions on gifts. Its frustrating to say the least. I wish our entire family were more mustachian - even a little! Theyre not, really nobody but us. We are the only ones who feel Christmas shouldnt be about gifts, maxing out credit cards or going into debt. Since we are still expected to give gifts (or else be shunned) we have a lot of strategic ideas that go into it. We start our Christmas shopping for the next year starting dec 26. I write out names, gift ideas based on hobbies and likes then go on the hunt. We buy on clearance,  at garage sales, ebay, ect. Our budget, $5 per person! So the first year we did this, it failed somewhat. Gifts werent that great.. but since we have gotten good. Even if we buy from a yard sale, we only buy new in box items. Same with Craigslist. Yard sales are the best though. For example, this last Christmas I bought a brand new name brand decorative Christmas plate for my sister in law for only $1! She loves entertaining and I know she will use it. Then we bought her a clearanced bath/body gift set for $3!  Anyways, its almost fun now compared to before when we spent more and got less. Its a challenge.  Toughest is my husbands nephews. Theyre at the age where they outgrown toys and only wanting expensive gadgets.

We may soon finally say we no longer will give/get gifts and explain why we prefer not to. Actually, I have been really suggesting it more and more. We can have a great Christmas without presents.

Tundra_Man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
I don't think it's made me a terrible gift giver. I love to give people things I know they'll enjoy, appreciate and use. If I can find something that meets these needs then it makes me happy.

However, it has made me a terrible gift receiver. My wife's family and some of our friends are always asking me for Christmas lists and birthday gift ideas. I never have any ideas. It frustrates them to no end that I really don't want anything. I've even asked them to give the money they would spend to charity instead, but they don't seem to respond well to that idea. So lately I've been asking for socks, seeing as I tend to wear them out fast and probably won't seek out second hand replacements.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
I don't think it's made me a terrible gift giver. I love to give people things I know they'll enjoy, appreciate and use. If I can find something that meets these needs then it makes me happy.

However, it has made me a terrible gift receiver. My wife's family and some of our friends are always asking me for Christmas lists and birthday gift ideas. I never have any ideas. It frustrates them to no end that I really don't want anything. I've even asked them to give the money they would spend to charity instead, but they don't seem to respond well to that idea. So lately I've been asking for socks, seeing as I tend to wear them out fast and probably won't seek out second hand replacements.

There was a thread around here with some great ideas of gifts to ask for for ourselves. This year from my in-laws I got placemats/napkins, cycling gloves, and some kitchen stuff.

thatbrowncat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2016, 12:21:11 AM »
Being a mustachian has made me give gifts deliberately.

For starters, I don't give alarm clocks, planners, calendars. I can't add another clutter into their lives.

I would usually ask what they don't have and would like to have .( for material gifts)

Or, I would give them gift certificates. (something that's consumable)