Author Topic: Challenge: Cheap, Lazy, Healthyish Meals  (Read 49398 times)

Tai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Challenge: Cheap, Lazy, Healthyish Meals
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
1. lentil stew, basic soup starter, add lentils + whatever other veggies you have. Potatoes and carrots are good. I clean out the fridge/freezer when I make it. My kid calls it our "broke food"

2. chickpeas/tuna/corn salad, literally open 3 tins and drain, mix together and add either a salad dressing or olive oil, balsamic vinegar and whatever herbs you like - good for lunch of dinner.

3. scrambled eggs with a small tin of baked beans on toast.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
My favorite quick, lazy meal is whole wheat pasta with tomatoes, basil, and garlic:

Layer in this order:
Chopped green onions
Chopped garlic (from the jar)
Basil leaves (torn into pieces or sliced up a bit)
Chopped tomatoes

Then boil the pasta of your choice and when it is finished drain it and make it the final layer in the bowl. Give it a few minutes for the pasta to cook the tomatoes and basil, then stir it up. Total time is about ten minutes for a dish suitable for company.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2014, 06:18:16 PM »
My crockpot is my best friend! Almost any chicken dish can be done in the crockpot. I get the rice cooker going at the same time. A current favourite:

Chicken breasts (or thighs) in bottom of crockpot, top with a small container of salsa, a can of drained black beans and a can of drained corn (or a couple of handfuls of frozen corn).

Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.

30 minutes before serving, chop up a block of cream cheese and stir it in. Serve over rice. Add a veggie or salad.
SO good!

Another good one is chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot, dump over a can of cream of something soup (mushroom, celery or chicken all work) -- dice up an onion on top. Serve over rice. Add a veggie or salad.

supersudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
This is one of the things I've been working on lately as well. I like cooking, but I view it as a hobby only when I feel like doing it, and a chore when I don't (i.e. it's a pain in the butt when I have to do it right when get home from work).

I am a big rice eater, and have a Japanese rice cooker that I wouldn't give up for anything. I don't want to get a crockpot as well, because I feel like it'd take up too much volumetric real estate, and I wouldn't be able to justify it. So I looked around for some alternatives.

One thing I've started exploring lately is freezer meals. It's basically like making your own "frozen dinners" and you can make them in individual portions, family size, or anything in between. You can get these out when you're hungry, pop 'em in the oven/microwave, and eat when your food is cooked. It's that easy.

I'm working through the recipes here: http://thrivinghomeblog.com/healthy-recipes-index/healthy-freezer-meals-recipes/
This philosophy is all about doing a ton of prep/cooking for a few hours one day, and then resting on your laurels for a week or two (or longer, with more freezer space). Anything that lets me not cook when I get home on a weekday is a good thing in my book. It facilitates buying in bulk, which is usually cheaper. I always add extra veggies and make the dishes as healthy as I want to.

I recently bought 2 of these 18 pc sets for $23 each at Costco: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-food-storage-containers/
They're the best rated food storage containers on the market, and they're glass (safer), water/airtight, oven/microwave/dishwasher/freezer safe! They come out to <$2.56 per container, which is a great deal. The lids are guaranteed for life, pyrex is guaranteed for a shorter duration.

I can prep my soon to be frozen lasagna in one of these containers, and freeze it. When I want to cook it, I can put the container directly from the fridge to oven! So easy!

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
Really cant go wrong with a crock pot filled with ground beef, black beans, salsa and onions.
Served over some white rice, this meal is dirt cheap/healthy and lasts all week.

MA_Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
I love these ideas! I've got two meals in the oven now from these suggestions.

Here's two super-easy, no-chopping weeknight meals for one (or two)

Irish tacos-
Microwave bake a potato. Top with refried beans, salsa, cheese.

Stuffed sweet potatoes-
Microwave bake a sweet potato. Top with (heated) frozen broccoli florets and sour cream.

6 minutes from concept to table.

somecobwebs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
One thing I've started exploring lately is freezer meals. It's basically like making your own "frozen dinners" and you can make them in individual portions, family size, or anything in between. You can get these out when you're hungry, pop 'em in the oven/microwave, and eat when your food is cooked. It's that easy.

I'm working through the recipes here: http://thrivinghomeblog.com/healthy-recipes-index/healthy-freezer-meals-recipes/
This philosophy is all about doing a ton of prep/cooking for a few hours one day, and then resting on your laurels for a week or two (or longer, with more freezer space). Anything that lets me not cook when I get home on a weekday is a good thing in my book. It facilitates buying in bulk, which is usually cheaper. I always add extra veggies and make the dishes as healthy as I want to.

THANK YOU for that link!!! I cook large portions for the freezer constantly, and this is amazingly helpful!! I'm going to work my way slowly through these as well. I wonder who I can get to start a Freezer Club with me... my sister, maybe?

Plus, WOW, that jam sounds so easy!! I can't wait!

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »

THANK YOU for that link!!! I cook large portions for the freezer constantly, and this is amazingly helpful!! I'm going to work my way slowly through these as well. I wonder who I can get to start a Freezer Club with me... my sister, maybe?

+1

I don't currently do any freezer cooking, but I want/need to start, so that link is perfect.  Thanks!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
Another thank you for the link to the freezer meals! I went rooting in the freezer yesterday for some meat to defrost for dinner and stumbled across a fully cooked beef stroganoff that I'd even clearly labeled a month ago. Apparently I cooked a double batch and froze it. All I had to do was boil noodles and heat the sauce. I was like this is too easy, what do I even do with the rest of my afternoon?! I've gotta keep doing this. That link couldn't be more timely!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
I had one this weekend which was an emergency redo of a recipe I was missing one ingredient for.

Put one 8-oz container of sliced mushrooms, one sliced onion, and one sliced pepper in the crockpot. Throw in a jar of spaghetti sauce and a glass of red wine. Add a pound of stew beef. Cook on low for 6 hours. If it's too watery for you, crank it to high and take off the lid while you run a couple of cups of rice through the rice cooker. Done. I'm sure browning the meat before it went in the crock would have made it even better, but I had ten minutes in the house between engagements. Still worked.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Stir fried anything! ---

For cheap but questionably healthy try chicken and dumplings.   You can add anything you want to the dumplings.

all recipe Google for the instructions.

My uber healthy vegie soup recipe --

One or two large cans veggie juice (generic $1.30 a can).   What ever frozen or left over veggies in the cabinet.  A little chicken, hamburger, ham or whatever you have meat wise. (even canned halibut)

Dice some potatos and brown them in bacon grease.  Add to pot.

Sautee the meat and veggies and some onion while the pot is heating.  When brown add to pot. (grease and all) Add salt, pepper,  onion powder and garlic powder to taste.   Throw in some rice or noodles if you like.  simmer 10 minutes.

About 30 minutes to prepare and maybe 6 bucks.  Could feed 2 people for 3 meals.     

Pour over old stale bread if you like or just crumble the bread over the top.   

This is a very flexible approach to cooking.   I find that veggie juice works well for chili as well.    I always keep plenty of veggie juice on hand for cooking. 

fitzgeralday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »
Broccoli/Chickpea Mash!

Ingredients: frozen broccoli, canned chickpeas (drained), olive oil, garlic (chopped), onion (chopped), seasonings of choice (I prefer salt, pepper and crushed red pepper at minimum).

Throw everything into a pot, cook until done.  Easy, peasy, lemon-squeasy!

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Every Sunday I take 20 minutes out of my day to put 4 cups of cleaned/rinsed pinto (or black) beans in a crockpot with 8 cups of boiling hot water, two tablespoons of lard or butter, and a whole sliced onion (and for variation, a can of green chiles or a fresh green pepper).  Cook 4-5 hours on highest setting of your crockpot.  Add some salt to taste (about a tsp does it for me) toward the end, as if you do it too early the beans will be harder.  No need to soak first.  If I get home late, beans, rice, and cheese is super easy to throw together.  It is good for lunch (had a bowl today at lunch time with some cheese and a tortilla), dinner (with chicken and something green like a salad), breakfast (with an egg or two).  No cooking skill necessary, takes only 20 minutes a week, very cheap, and healthy.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »
Quiche. Lazy if you buy pre made pie crusts ($1.98 for 2)
 *ingredients* 4-6 eggs depending on size, 1/4 cup milk, pie crust (9 inch deep dish are the best) & fillings (shredded cheese, diced/cooked meat/ defrosted or fresh veggies)!!!

I tend to make ham/cheddar, bacon/ spinach/ mozzarella, butter & garlic chicken/ spinach/ mozzarella, 3 cheese  or spinach & cheese. If you don't like spinach - broccoli or peppers works.

Beat the eggs in a bowl, add in milk, add in Veggies and COOKED meat that has been diced up. Mix it!!! Pour into pie tin of crust. Cover in foil and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, take off tin foil and cook another 15-20ish minutes until the quiche is no longer liquid. If you have leftover (cooked) chicken or bacon or ham it takes about 5 minutes to gather ingredients, mix, pour and foil while the oven heats up. *helpful hint: put pie tin on baking sheet so you don't spill liquid putting into oven. Much easier to handle and the bottom crust stays nice and soft.

3Owls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »
This is from my website... www.findyourgray.com  A few more recipes are listed there.  A favorite...

While I try to limit the amount of prepackaged foods in my (and my family’s) diet, I do enjoy experimenting with a variety of wraps using Rudi’s Gluten Free Spinach tortillas.  With 5 grams of fiber and void of high fructose corn syrup, these gluten/dairy/soy free tortillas are moist enough to ensure your meal is nutritious as it is delicious.

Fill your wrap with anything but here is one of my favorite creations for a wrap that can be eaten any time of the day!

1 egg scrambled or sunny side up
1 Rudi’s gluten free spinach tortilla
1 garlic clove minced or sliced
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh cilantro leaves
1 thinly sliced tomato any variety
1 tsp Spectrum Canola Mayo
1 tsp Dijon Mustard *
1 TBSP Ghee

Melt ghee in a frying pan on medium heat. Add garlic. Prepare your egg as desired. Spread mustard and mayo over tortilla. Add tomato, basil, egg & cilantro. Roll and enjoy!

*please note that all ingredients in my recipes are organic unless noted with an asterisk

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »

+1

I don't currently do any freezer cooking, but I want/need to start, so that link is perfect.  Thanks!

+1 Used to pretty much be on the cook on Sunday plan and eat all week.  Seems we always arrive home late and tired on Sundays now.  Will need to rethink this and plan a Friday night cook-a-thon (maybe a few cocktails and special together time with wife?).    If we are smart we can cook a whole weeks dinners, label them and be free for a week.   The prep and clean up is such a big time consumer.  And if I'm making rice for Mexican,  might as well make it for Chinese too!

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Been lurking for awhile, now that I have an account I'll contribute some things we've been using in our house.

5 ingredient meals that are tasty and low cost.
http://thestonesoup.com/blog/images/free_stonesoup_ecookbook.pdf

Cookbook focused on quality cooking with healthy ingredients on a food stamp budget.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/08/01/337141837/cheap-eats-cookbook-shows-how-to-eat-well-on-a-food-stamp-budget

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
I know there are a lot of awesome recipe threads on here, but how about for those of us who don't like to cook? Or clean? :) I know we should just suck it up and make a big batch of chilli, but baby steps are important. List as many cheap, easy, and healthyish meals you can think of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just suck it up and make a big batch of chili!!!

A few cans of Rotel (diced tomatoes and chiles), a few cans of beans, a pound of ground beef, and an onion.

Brown the meat, put it all in a pot and wait.  Get fancy and add chili powder and cumin.

Seriously easy, and you now have meals for like a week.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast every day, either a fried egg with cheese on an everything bagel (kind of like an egg McMuffin breakfast sandwich) or a pumpkin muffin (in the fall/winter, I make these: http://www.marthastewart.com/355570/pumpkin-muffins and they are about 400 calories per muffin, so add a cup of coffee, a bit of butter, and I'm set--I re-warm in the microwave).

For lunches, I like leftovers from dinner, or I make a sandwich with turkey or ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cucumber, whatever veggies I have in the fridge, mustard/mayo, and an apple, pear, other fruit, plus maybe some nuts (pistachios or almonds).

For dinner, I try to make a wide variety of things.

Super quick favorites:
tuna melts - mix tuna, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, mayo, pepper, put on toast, melt cheese on top
big salad with greens (various lettuces, spinach, kale), topped with nuts (pecans or walnuts) and cheese (usually feta), add balsamic vinegar and a bit of olive oil
scrambled eggs/messy omelet with whatever veggies I have (onion + carrots, celery, tomato, etc.) and cheese (I keep mexican blend shredded cheese on hand always)
BLTS + avocado (BLTS are amazing, then add avocado... mmm!)

More involved but still pretty quick favorites are:

tilapia or other white fish with this topping + baked potato or other veggie: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan
chili - 1 lb. ground beef, cooked with one large onion + 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 1 can diced tomatoes + extra tomato sauce to taste
soups like this (my absolute favorite and I skip the bacon): http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html or this http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/carnation-cafe-closes-thursday-for-renovations-at-disneyland-park/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+DisneyParks+%2528Disney+Parks+Blog%2529&utm_content=Google+Reader

Señora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
My new favorite:

Easy Huevos Rancheros
Cook two eggs over easy
Stack a tortilla, the eggs, cheese and green chile
Throw it in the oven on low for a couple minutes

Snacks:
an avocado with mayo and balsamic vinegar
chessy bean dip: cheese and beans and spices, melt and mix

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2014, 06:46:28 PM »
This is a great thread.  I am always looking for quick meals that only need to be reheated for a dinner.  (I prefer recipes that have 3 ingredients or less and NO chopping.  Trader Joe's does have a package of chopped onions, celery and carrots together which is great so I can just add it in any recipe.

OTOH, I sometimes feel like cooking and can make a double batch of some of these great meals to freeze. 

Thanks LibraryJoy for starting this thread and thanks to all who have contributed. 

How do I get to your word doc when it is done?  It will definitely be used by me.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »

just found this thread, super excited to read through it but don't have time right now BUT just wanted to say that one of my fave cheap/fast/not terribly unhealthy meals is super simple burrito bowls... rice (I usually do brown), black beans (used to use canned but now I batch cook 2 lbs in the crockpot and freeze them in can-sized baggies), Rotel (or, you know, store brand diced tomatoes and green chiles), pepper jack cheese. om nom nom. if I'm trying to convince my boyfriend it's a meal, add shredded taco meat from the freezer. maybe add some greens too, for health purposes. :)

Dude!  I can't believe I hadn't thought about batch cooking, then freezing beans!  With only two of us at home, I find that 1 can of beans is too many, so sometimes I forgo the beans altogether, which I wouldn't have to do, if I batch cooked them, and froze in 1 cup portions!

Thanks for the tip!

Stockmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
Toast a piece of whole wheat bread or naan. Smoosh an avocado on top. Sprinkle with flake salt and crushed red pepper.  Drizzle with best quality extra-virgin olive oil. Then eat!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
How I batch cook beans in the slow cooker:

Place 1" of beans in the bottom of slow cooker. Rinse with water and drain. Fill up to the top of the slow cooker with hot water. Cover , plug  in and set to high for 4-6 hrs or low for 8+ hours.

That's it! Only kidney beans don't work  with this method as they need to be boiled due to toxins (google it). 

You know the beans are ready when you blow on one and the skin peels back and if you can squish the bean on the roof of your mouth easily with your tongue. Drain, cool, and bag em up!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
I have a weird one for you guys. But something tells me it's right up some of your alleys.

Make some oatmeal on the stove. When you add the oats, also add about 1/2 tsp of harissa paste (or curry paste would be good too). Then, lightly fry an egg until the white is just done. Eat the oatmeal w/the egg on top. Add cheese if you like (but my cheese just got lost in the flavor explosion of the harissa). So good & it took me about 7 minutes to make!

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
Roasted vegetables as others mention. Olive oil, salt, little pepper, maybe garlic.

Very easy to clean, just foil a baking sheet, no cleanup except plate serve on, or if eat right off sheet. Simple, nutritious and long term low cost because you will avoid diseases like diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, saving you money from doctor visits, surgeries, hospital visits, medication, etc.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »
Crustless quiche for 1 or 2 people.

4 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. shredded cheese
3 slices of onion, diced and sauteed
Whatever other veggie you have (if a harder one, like broccoli, then saute first)
1/2 tsp. salt
White pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Whisk eggs, add milk, cheese and spices.  Saute onions (and hard veggies if applicable) using a pot that you can put in the oven. Pour the egg mix over the veggies.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.  Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. 

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »
The Make It Fast, Cook it Slow cookbooks (there are two, the first is better)--slow cooker recipes that hit a nice balance between not too many prepared products and not too much prep required)

+1 on the slow cooker.

You need to wake up 30 minutes earlier every day but slow cooker meals are literally the following:

Cut up some veges (from the back of the refrigerator ok)
Cut up some meat (cheaper cuts ok)
Chuck it all in the slow cooker, add some salt/pepper (and a bay leaf or some other non-fancypants spices) and a little liquid (water/wine/blood/etc). Come back in 8-10 hours.

Last night's dinner:

Permanent Portfolio Irish Stew
25% potatoes, peeled and diced
25% carrot, peeled and diced
25% green beans, cut into 1 inch bits
25% chunks of lamb

Season with a little salt & pepper, add a bay leaf and a cup of water. Stew will vest in 8 hours.

Kingomri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »
My old grad school go-to when I was both poor and had no time: Fish with rice and mixed veggies
Get a rice cooker with a basket that you can use to steam things above it.

Cook rice, put frozen tilapia and veggies in the steaming basket. Season as desired. Set rice cooker to cook, and you have practically no work, and a very healthy meal.

One of my current favorites: Red Beans and Rice
A little more work, but still not too bad, and incredibly cheap.

Cook rice in a rice cooker. Cut up some sausage (preferably Andouille, but not 100% necessary - we use half Andouille and half cheaper sausage/kielbasa). Toss the sausage, rice, and a can of kidney beans into a skillet/wok. Heat, and add cajun seasoning to bring to desired level of spiciness (our preferred brand of seasoning is Tony Chachere's). The meal reheats really well, so you can make a big batch of it and reheat it for a week. Rice and beans give a great, cheap source of protein. If you're feeling deprived of vitamins with this meal, you can steam some veggies along with the rice you're cooking, like in the example above.

When it comes to making easy meals, rice cookers and crockpots are gold.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:26:18 PM by Kingomri »

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
If you're gonna do your beans in the slow cooker, why not try this one:

Bad-ass Boston Baked Beans

1 onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, chopped
1-2 tablespoons mustard (dijon or "yellow")
3 dry cups of navy beans*, rinsed
6 cups water
1 cup ketchup or tomato puree
up to 1/2 a cup of molasses (I leave this out)
Salt to taste

Combine in slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours.

* Some may prefer to soak overnight instead (and reduce the water) but the fact that you don't have to is what drew me to the recipe in the first place
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:02:15 PM by dungoofed »

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »

1 onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, chopped
6 cups water
Salt to taste

* Some may prefer to soak overnight instead (and reduce the water) but the fact that you don't have to is what drew me to the recipe in the first place

This recipe looks awesome, can't wait to try it!

Question - do you notice any additional digestive issues if you don't pre-soak dried beans?  I've heard that the soaking activates or deactivates some enzyme and ultimately helps keep one from getting gassy. Thoughts?

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
I haven't made this in a while but don't recall any more gas than I usually have lol.

Unfortunately I didn't scribe the amount of water required when cooking with pre-soaked beans but you could probably find a formula on the web, or otherwise go with a little less than you think you'll need and add towards the end of the cook time if necessary. I reckon you would be safe with as little as 1 cup even.

1 onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, chopped
6 cups water
Salt to taste

This recipe looks awesome, can't wait to try it!

Question - do you notice any additional digestive issues if you don't pre-soak dried beans?  I've heard that the soaking activates or deactivates some enzyme and ultimately helps keep one from getting gassy. Thoughts?

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2014, 11:17:04 AM »
As many others have mentioned, I'm a huge fan of using my slow cooker.

This chicken burrito bowl is awesome (and I've also made it without the chicken and it was good too) - http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-burrito-bowls-recipes-from-the-kitchn-207333

At the risk of tooting my own horn (it's my blog), one of my favourite recipes is this really easy and lazy beef and chickpea curry.  I usually reduce excess liquid and serve it with naan/pita and a garlic yogourt drizzle, but it's also good over plain rice.  And since it's the crockpot, you can use a tough cut of beef and just let it stew all day.

Recipe here: http://definitelynotmartha.blogspot.ca/2009/01/easiest-best-thing-you-will-ever-make.html

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »
Yesterday I made African peanut soup for lunches this week.  The original recipe calls for rice, but I'm a low carber and don't use it.  Below reflects a half recipe.  I cooked it in the slow cooker for 6 hours on low.

1.00 2 cans chicken broth
0.00 tomatoes, fresh from the garden
0.50 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1.00 red bell pepper
0.20 spices, olive oil
Total 2.70 for about 4 servings

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
A staple in our house with 2 working people and little time/inclination to cook dinner every singe weeknight is a simple chicken salad.

I basically grill 10 chicken breasts at a time on the weekend, slice them up and refrigerate.  While I do that my wife chops up all sorts of vegetables and the lettuce base and puts it in a huge tuperware bowl.   Dressing is some olive oil and balsamic mixed together.   To serve we just throw the salad mix in with chicken and throw a little vinigarette and some pine nuts on top.

Total prep time is probably an hour total on the weekend.  Total time to make salads at night is 4 minutes. 

I know it's lame and not a 'recipe' but it's super quick, cheap, and honestly really delicious and surprisingly filling.  We eat this at least 2-3 nights a week for dinner and aside from being easy has been great for weight loss. 

When we are feeling fancy or get a good deal we will substitute salmon instead.  Another thing you can do if you don't have time to grill the chicken in a pinch is get one of the rotisseries from the supermarket for $5 and shred that up.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
A staple in our house with 2 working people and little time/inclination to cook dinner every singe weeknight is a simple chicken salad.

I basically grill 10 chicken breasts at a time on the weekend, slice them up and refrigerate.  While I do that my wife chops up all sorts of vegetables and the lettuce base and puts it in a huge tuperware bowl.   Dressing is some olive oil and balsamic mixed together.   To serve we just throw the salad mix in with chicken and throw a little vinigarette and some pine nuts on top.

Total prep time is probably an hour total on the weekend.  Total time to make salads at night is 4 minutes. 

I know it's lame and not a 'recipe' but it's super quick, cheap, and honestly really delicious and surprisingly filling.  We eat this at least 2-3 nights a week for dinner and aside from being easy has been great for weight loss. 

When we are feeling fancy or get a good deal we will substitute salmon instead.  Another thing you can do if you don't have time to grill the chicken in a pinch is get one of the rotisseries from the supermarket for $5 and shred that up.

Terrestrial, I love this idea and don't think it's lame at all.

Something I do which is similar is make a 7 layer salad, refrigerate it overnight then divide among large single serving plastic containers for work:

Romaine, rinsed, dried, torn into bite size pieces.  Put in an 8 x 8 dish.
Add diced onion and bell pepper.
Add a few pieces cooked bacon, peas, and cheddar cheese.
In a bowl, mix mayo, sour cream, a ranch dressing packet (I used one for the first time earlier this month only because it was free, and will not do so again-yuck), and some lemon juice.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Prior to the packet, I was using just a bit of ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Cover and refrigerate several hours.

I also add canned chicken as one of the layers for a more substantial meal.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
I have a weird one for you guys. But something tells me it's right up some of your alleys.

Make some oatmeal on the stove. When you add the oats, also add about 1/2 tsp of harissa paste (or curry paste would be good too). Then, lightly fry an egg until the white is just done. Eat the oatmeal w/the egg on top. Add cheese if you like (but my cheese just got lost in the flavor explosion of the harissa). So good & it took me about 7 minutes to make!

That sounds great!  I make something similar: oatmeal, frozen mixed veggies microwaved till hot, nutritional yeast, and a bit of soy milk, hot sauce, and salt.

Druid

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »
Garam Masala Chick Peas:

Grill onions with butter
Add can of chickpeas, cup of tomato sauce, and table spoon of garam masala"from indian store or online"
Cook at medium low heat until tomato sauce has a paste consistency
Add about four or five tablespoons of cream