Author Topic: CFIRESIM not working  (Read 2535 times)

themagicman

• Bristles
CFIRESIM not working
« on: April 02, 2020, 07:34:13 AM »
CFIRESIM has not been working for the past week (well at least the past week, that is how long I have been checking) I get the error below.

I thought I remembered there being another link to get to the "legacy" version of cfiresim. I was wondering if that was working and if so, will someone post the link!
Thanks!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: CFIRESIM not working
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »
@bo_knows - Hopefully you’re fine and hunkering down and just have other things on your mind than cfiresim.

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »
https://www.firecalc.com/

Thanks! I have used it in the past but it just does not have the variable spending options that CFIRESIM has. (I know there is a couple but they are not nearly as robust)
Also do not find the inputs to be as good.

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 06:10:11 AM »
Does anyone have any other good alternatives?

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »
Doesn't actually help right now, but I did run across https://github.com/boknows/cFIREsim-open, so hopefully all is not lost and this great project can be recreated by someone if the original never comes back.

jamesplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
I had some quarantime so I started working on a cFIREsim-like calc. You can try it out here:

https://ficalc.app/

This is just a few days of work, so there are a lot of missing features. I know that one of the things people are interested in are saving simulations. I can add that, but it will cost me money each month to store the saved sims.

I have a question for you all: is saving simulations something you would consider paying a one-time payment for? I’m not trying to make money off of this app, but I would want to cover the costs of upkeep (about $20/mo).

Anyway, let me know if there’s any other specific feature you would like me to add and I can add it to the todo list!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:47:50 PM by jamesplease »

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 01:55:08 PM »
I had some quarantime so I started working on cFIREsim-like calc. You can try it out here:

https://ficalc.app/

This is just a few days of work, so there are a lot of missing features. I know that one of the things people are interested in are saving simulations. I can add that, but it will cost me money each month to store the saved sims.

I have a question for you all: is saving simulations something you would consider paying a one-time payment for? I’m not trying to make money off of this app, but I would want to cover the costs of upkeep (about $20/mo).

Anyway, let me know if there’s any other specific feature you would like me to add and I can add it to the todo list!

I really like the look of the site! I like the yellow color years (I have not come across a site that has this feature) . I also really like being able to click in on a year for detail. A couple of things I would enjoy having:

A few more withdrawal plans (guyton klinger, 95% rule, VPW, others)
Ability to add additional income and spending for different years
Ability to say you are able to cut back 10% or so current your constant withdrawal bad years.

As far as saving sims, I do not think having that is a big deal to me, other people might feel differently though!

Overall I really like the site!

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »

Ability to say you are able to cut back 10% or so current your constant withdrawal bad years.

I guess this part could be achieved by doing the below!

jamesplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
I really like the look of the site! I like the yellow color years (I have not come across a site that has this feature) . I also really like being able to click in on a year for detail.

Hey, thanks! I hadn't seen that feature, either, but I thought it might be something people would find interesting.

A couple of things I would enjoy having:

A few more withdrawal plans (guyton klinger, 95% rule, VPW, others)

I definitely plan to add more of these. Guyton-Klinger and Hebeler Autopilot will be next.

Ability to add additional income and spending for different years

This is useful to know. If you have time, could you tell me more about how you plan to use these? For instance, for spending, do you want to set aside, say, $5k every 10 years for a new car? How about income? If you have a specific use case in mind, it would be useful for me to know more about it.

Cool, cool. I saw your post below, and yup, hopefully the other withdrawal plans will cover this use case.

As far as saving sims, I do not think having that is a big deal to me, other people might feel differently though!

Good to know!

Overall I really like the site!

Thank you!

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:51 AM »

This is useful to know. If you have time, could you tell me more about how you plan to use these? For instance, for spending, do you want to set aside, say, $5k every 10 years for a new car? How about income? If you have a specific use case in mind, it would be useful for me to know more about it.

I would personally use them a few different ways. It would be great if you could add to or take a way from the normal withdraw amount in a given year and if those could be adjusted for inflation or not. Some examples on how I might use it:

Extra expenses
Mortgage remaining   $12,000 a year (non inflation adjusted) from year 1- 18
Kids college               $24,000 a year (inflation adjusted) from year 10-14

Extra income
Social Security        $20,000 a year (inflation adjusted)    from year 30 to year 40
Inheritance             $100,000 a year (inflation adjusted ) from year 35 to year 35

jamesplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out for me, @themagicman ! It definitely helped me understand the use case more clearly. It makes a ton of sense to me how that would be valuable. I'll go ahead and add it to the todo list ✌️
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:18:42 PM by jamesplease »

jamesplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 10:31:24 PM »
I just updated the app to include Guyton-Klinger! I expected it to be easy, but it ended up taking quite awhile to get right, ha!

Anyway, I don't want to take over this thread @themagicman , so this will be the last update I post here unless you want me to keep you updated. Either way, I'll keep working on adding more features.

Thanks again for all of your feedback and suggestions :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:19:44 PM by jamesplease »

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 06:27:25 AM »
I just updated the app to include Guyton-Klinger! I expected it to be easy, but it ended up taking quite awhile to get right, ha!

Anyway, I don't want to take over this thread @themagicman , so this will be the last update I post here unless you want me to keep you updated. Either way, I'll keep working on adding more features.

Thanks again for all of your feedback and suggestions :)

I looks great! The thread is dead so I do not mind. But if you do make a new thread about your changes can you post the link here when you post it, so I can be alerted to it! Thanks for doing this! I find it very useful!

jamesplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
Heads up: cFIREsim is alive!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
Heads up: cFIREsim is alive!

Huzzah! :-)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
My favorite is Rich, Broke or Dead.

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

You can add multiple income streams and start dates by separating with ;  examples would be pensions or SS (read the instructions)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:27:29 PM by TomTX »

jamesplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 12:21:25 AM »
@themagicman , I updated FI Calc to include the 95% Rule. Thanks for that suggestion, btw! I had never heard of that one until you suggested it.

Also, since cFIREsim is alive and kicking, I figure it might be best to retire this thread so I went ahead and made a standalone thread for FI Calc over here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/fi-calc-a-new-retirement-calculator/

Feel free to follow along there if you want to keep up with the latest progress of the app.

Thanks again!