Author Topic: Certificate of Achievement- useful or no?  (Read 3115 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Certificate of Achievement- useful or no?
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
I have a Bachelor's in an arts field and although I have worked in that field the jobs are typically not well paid and frankly I'd just like a change. I was contemplating getting a second Bachelor's in Business Administration because I am interested in fields like Human Resources or Medical Administration and while researching a the business administration I found a local community college offering certificates of achievement in a number of fields including business administration. The pros are that the certificates are very reasonable, about $3-4k with the program costs and the cost of books considered and the time frame is very reasonable, about 18 months. The con is I don't know if this is an effective strategy to change careers or if these certificates are better utilized by people who already work in an organization and want to advance within the organization. Has anyone ever gotten one and did it help you change careers?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Certificate of Achievement- useful or no?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Not useful unless your prospective employer is very specifically looking for that certificate.  A certificate of achievement in business administration doesn't mean anything.  A BA in the field is a known commodity.  I wouldn't hire someone with a certificate of achievement (why didn't they get the proper education being the main question running through my head).

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
I would agree and say probably not very useful. Honestly I would say reach out to your extended network and see if you can find someone either in a field you want to get into or at a company you would want to work for and just ask them. Most people are more than happy to give advice to friends and even friends of friends.

Find out what they would suggest. You may find alternative ways into your field or perhaps a good company that you can start in some other position and let you shadow someone in the field you want to get into or pay for whatever education they feel would help you get into the position.

Another option is to ask a specific question on these forums. Chances are there is some mustachian who works or has worked in the type of job your are interested and can tell you there story. Or they'll have a friend.

Best bet is do both. Your network can help where you live. The forums can help you navigate the world at large. You can combine the two for the best of both worlds. Getting the job you want where you live now and having what you need to move if you so choose in the future.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »
I would argue that not everyone in business has a degree in Business Administration.  I'd go for entry-level jobs in something related to the kind of business you want to end up in.  I mean real entry-level jobs, the very lowest on the chain, not the ones everyone imagines where they give you impressive responsibilities and you show off your fabulous skills.  The go-fers, the donkey work.  Maybe start in arts administration if you already have an in there.   Then learn on the job and work your way up. The bonuses: you won't take off several years from earning money.  You won't accumulate more debt.  Instead of you paying someone to learn, with unclear job prospects at the end, you start by having a job (experience is invaluable) and they pay you while you learn.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!