Author Topic: Cell phone service recommendation - NOT Republic Wireless  (Read 2468 times)

balkanbabe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cell phone service recommendation - NOT Republic Wireless
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Moving to the US - looking for a recommendation on cell phone provider and plan.

Need a provider that has good long distance rates to Canada, and can provide cellular coverage while in Canada through an add-on. We would like "lite" smartphones. Talk, text, data.

(We are not going with Republic Wireless because they do not offer cellular coverage in Canada, where we spend several months a year. They provide coverage through wifi, but we are often places where there is no wifi, like hiking). There is no work-around when you are on a Republic phone, like for example, swapping out a SIM.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Cell phone service recommendation - NOT Republic Wireless
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
Your best option is to go with a GSM MVNO down in the States and swap SIM cards up Canada way. That said, it's going to be a bit difficult to recommend specifics without a better idea on frequency and volume of usage, and the region you're moving to to determine the best carrier. T-Mobile MVNOs are the cheapest on bundled plans, but they don't have the coverage of AT&T MVNOs.

Try starting with the guide if you haven't already (unabridged here), and I'll help where I can. Also, for the sake of academic curiosity as I'm sure at least one person will eventually chime in with GOOGLE FI! GOOGLE FI! despite the $650+ phone buy-in, here's a deconstruction on how to replicate it for roughly the same monthly cost on nearly any blasted Android handset you like. Pair the knowledge with the guide, you can mix and match to fit.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
we have been very happy with Ting, but I have no idea if it works in Canada.  The only down side for me is not being able to have data when we are away. 

balkanbabe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
Wow - lots to read, thanks IP! Will sift through that and get back to you with any questions.....we move in August/September, so I am doing prelim research right now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!