Author Topic: Celery tops/leaves - any one have a good recipe?  (Read 2524 times)

happy

• Walrus Stache
Celery tops/leaves - any one have a good recipe?
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
I currently have an abundance of celery growing - mainly thin green stalks and leaves. Its far exceeding my current rate of general use.

Does anyone have a really great recipe?

lollylegs

• Stubble
Re: Celery tops/leaves - any one have a good recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »
I always save the celery tops & leaves & freeze them. Then I add them to homemade stock, soups and stews, the add a great flavour and I just take them out before serving.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:55 AM »
That might be the easiest thing to do. I usually chop celery stalks into stock, but the leaves and ends should work too

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:44:52 AM »
I just add them to green salads and in any kind of wok dishes or soup. The tops can be put on top as garnish.

Maybe you can use them in a healthy smoothie?

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
The leaves are not dissimilar to parsley.  I use them anywhere parsley is used, but usually they go into the scraps freezer bag to make stock later.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:04:03 PM »
Dehydrate it, blitz it up and make celery salt

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:21:26 AM »
I'm planning on making Ina Garten's celery salad this week:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/celery-and-parmesan-salad-recipe-2102575

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 02:21:16 PM »
Sounds very nice Better Change. Being my home grown celery ( ie lots of leaves and thinstalks and almost no heart/broad stalks)  I won't have celery hearts so I won't be able to replicate it, but I might use the ideas in a salad somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. At the very least I will freeze some for use in stocks/soups/stews etc.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
I've always just added to salads, but it looks like you have more than that would require. 

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »
I think I've had a Greek porc fricassee similar to this where they just keep all the leaves.

https://www.littlecookingtips.com/content/greek-pork-and-celery-stew-hirino-me-selino

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »
I like Brightfire's idea. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can always pull just the leaves, wash them, dry them off, then leave them in a dish in the fridge for a couple of weeks - they'll dry to a crisp, perfect for later use. I dry mint this way, sometimes accidentally.

But generally, I'll use celery leaves in, or as a garnish on, chicken soup. Clove, celery, and chicken go so well together.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »
Would the leaves work to make a pesto? We've done that with carrot greens and radish greens and some other greens before, but never celery greens. Just put it in a food processor with some salt and nuts and a generous amount of olive oil, and you might have a nice pasta sauce.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 09:13:55 PM »
Mix into tuna or chicken salad.

Use it in green soup (Google splendid tables recipe)

As a pp mentioned, it's similar to parsley, so you might be able to make a chimichurri.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:45 PM »
I've been eating a sort-of waldorf salad for years, and I prefer it with leafy celery to chunky hearts:
Chop celery (if the stems are woody, don't include them -- save them for one of the other ideas) cube apples of a type you like. Add walnuts, and dried cranberries or cherries. Dress with a sherry vinaigrette (good olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt, maybe a dot of mustard, maybe some thyme). Add crumbles of blue cheese (I like blue cheese! -- if you don't, maybe try goat cheese?)

As a chopped salad, it'll keep for a few days, so I make heroic quantities and eat them for several lunches in a row.  If you like mayo, you could also try a more traditional waldorf salad recipe -- maybe dress with ranch or thinned-down mayo?

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
If you really have a lot, you can also saute them and serve them as a vegetable, in the same way you do spinach (though with a very different flavour, of course).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!