Author Topic: Case study - Civil servant, hate my job, searching a creative, meaningful life  (Read 6361 times)

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello fellow Mustachians!

I've been reading the MMM blog and forum for a long time now, but my Mustachianism is older than this blog. Unfortunately, I'm a bit lost and deperate. I'd really appreciate your advice.

I am a civil servant, lawyer, working for the public  administration in Spain. My job is a very stressful, high resposibility one. And also I don't like what I do. Paying is not bad (for the country standards) but not great either. Best thing: it's a job for life. They can't fire you (unless unexpected catastrophes). That's a great point for a country with a 25% unemployment rate!

I'm in my mid 30's, quite frugal, no kids, and I've been a decent saver (but a mediocre investor!).

Some more data:

- Income: aprox. € 30,000 p.a. (after taxes) (My eyes roll everytime I read about salaries in the USA, specially for lawyers, IT, etc...).
- Annual expenses: never calculated them properly, but around € 12,000 (including rent)
- I don't own a house.
- Savings (deposits, stocks, funds, etc.): around € 200,000

What I want:

- Quit my job a.s.a.p!!!
- A simple, relaxed life. Maybe in the countryside.
- Do some creative activities, and hopefully make some money out of them. I'm not bad at writing and I am a music composer (contemporary classical). Being a professional composer is my dream.
- Keep learning, mainly music composition. I'm already attending every course I can. I'd love to study a Master's in Music Composition in a good university (America or Europe).
- Learn more languages (still working on my English... Sorry for any mistakes!).
- Travel. I love it.

Fears and doubts:

- After making some calculations, trying different ER calculators, etc., I'm still not sure that I can get a decent return out of my savings. After some losses in the stock market, I'm not very self-confident about investing. I'm now mainly in index funds (unfortunately, not Vanguard in Spain) and some low interest deposits (now lower than ever). I feel lost here.

- I've worked very hard to get my job. I hate it, but I have to admit it's not a bad one when you consider the Spanish labor market right now. But every morning I think "what am I doing with my life?". I can't get fired from this job, but what's the point of living a life you hate?

- I am not confident that I would be able to make any money with my music (or writing), specially in this country. Very few composers live of their music. Very few writers. I could start a blog, but I know it's not easy to monetize it.

And that's about it. I hope you can help me. Any advice is welcome!

Thank you very much!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
I'm not familiar with Spain, but how's real estate there? What would your expenses be without rent, and how much would it  cost to buy a permanent residence? Is it feasible as an investment strategy? Could you buy a place for 200k where the rent could meet your living expenses? Doubtful; I think you'll have to work a few more years at least unless you can transition to a part-time gig doing something else.

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you for the advice skunkfunk!

Spain's enormous real estate bubble burst some years ago and was based on "buy high, sell higher". Now that's over. Also renting is not a good business here (returns are really low).

I suppose  that you are right, I'll have to work a few more years...

Thanks!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache

Spain's enormous real estate bubble burst some years ago and was based on "buy high, sell higher". Now that's over. Also renting is not a good business here (returns are really low).

Thanks!

You say you hate your job. What would it take to move somewhere where you could either put that 200k to better use or get a more pleasing job?

Annamal

• Bristles

I am making some assumptions here but are you subject to the same generous holiday provisions as other European countries?

If so, why not try out a simple relaxed life in the countryside for a month or so a year for a few years?

I've only spent a little time in Spain but one thing I do remember is that even during the boom times leading up to 2008, a lot of the rural villages were economically depressed (and this was alongside the Camino which brings in a lot of international money), surely you could find a cheap holiday place to rent or house sit to try out quiet rural life?

You could also use it as a chance to experiment with art and frugal living.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache

I am making some assumptions here but are you subject to the same generous holiday provisions as other European countries?

If so, why not try out a simple relaxed life in the countryside for a month or so a year for a few years?

I've only spent a little time in Spain but one thing I do remember is that even during the boom times leading up to 2008, a lot of the rural villages were economically depressed (and this was alongside the Camino which brings in a lot of international money), surely you could find a cheap holiday place to rent or house sit to try out quiet rural life?

Now you've got me imagining him calling it quits right now, and buying a little farm in Thailand where he makes/grows everything he needs himself.

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

My holydays are roughly 4 weeks per year. I've already tried rural life and I like it (as long as I can escape from time to time, travel, etc.). :)

Living in the countryside is cheaper, indeed. And the kind of work I'd like to do (composing, writing...) doesn't need a specific location. I've tried it and I like it. I hope I can do that full time in the future.

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Thanks!

You say you hate your job. What would it take to move somewhere where you could either put that 200k to better use or get a more pleasing job?

I'm researching that possibilities. I'm looking for new jobs and investment opportunities every day. And MMM is a great source of information.
Thanks!

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Now you've got me imagining him calling it quits right now, and buying a little farm in Thailand where he makes/grows everything he needs himself.

:D

I think I'm not brave enough for that! (yet)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
$200k*.04=8k so you need 300k to have enough to pay your current expenses. So maybe make that your goal so you are more confident about quitting? How about starting your blog/composing now? It will take a few years to start making money, and then you can easily transition into it full time.

You say you won't make much money, but can you make a little? Say you were composing now and making 4k a year (sorry don't know how to convert to euros). 8k + 4k = 12k which is what you need.

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
$200k*.04=8k so you need 300k to have enough to pay your current expenses. So maybe make that your goal so you are more confident about quitting? How about starting your blog/composing now? It will take a few years to start making money, and then you can easily transition into it full time.

You say you won't make much money, but can you make a little? Say you were composing now and making 4k a year (sorry don't know how to convert to euros). 8k + 4k = 12k which is what you need.

Thank you for your advice, mozar!

I'm already composing, more and more everyday. Not making any real money by now. I hope this will change. Maybe I'll start my blog soon.

My concern now is getting a decent return out of my investments. I'm quite conservative now, after some losses in the stock market. So I'm really far away from 8 - 10% returns. I think I'm not even getting 4 or 5%. So a 4% SWR wouldn't be "safe" in my case.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Well if you're conservative you won't get higher returns :-) but I'm sure you know that.

takemitsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Well if you're conservative you won't get higher returns :-) but I'm sure you know that.

Yes, I know :D  I'm just trying to find a balance there.