Author Topic: Carpet color  (Read 3654 times)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Carpet color
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
After 8 years here, I asked for the carpet in my rental to be changed.  I was pleasantly surprised management agreed.  They have asked me if I wanted to stick with the same color.  I think my carpet was originally cream colored...it's sorta crappy blotchy yellow/off white/grey now. 

This is all new to me.  As a renter, I've gone with whatever carpet was installed when I moved in.  I'm tempted to go with a dark color.   I have black hair and two cats and let's just say against the light colored carpet, it's really embarrassing how much hair is visible hovering on top of the floor.  I actually use a hard bristle broom and comb the hair out before I vacuum. So a dark color carpet seems sensible.  I'm just worried that a darker carpet will make the apartment rather gloomy.  I do have great light as my apartment windows faces north and south.  In terms of interior design, my stuff is a mishmash of Craigslist, thrift shops and Ikea so I don't really much design to worry about...

For those who have installed carpet and own rentals, etc...any suggestions?  I want to go with a dark color but a part of me wonders why many apartments have light/creamed colored carpets.  Maybe there's an advantage to lighter colored carpeting?  Or is it simply because light colored carpets are a neutral safe choice?

My mom's apartment was switched over to cheap dark brown office carpet a few years back.  It is truly hideous stuff but I do notice that it's harder to spot the scruff and dirt.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:13:22 PM by dodojojo »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Carpet color
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:00:18 AM »
We have the ubiquitous light beige in our house.  Man it gets dirty fast. 

We looked at one house that had a medium grey carpet.  Grey tones are very in right now, compared to browns.  I liked the cooler color tone, and it was a good balance between hiding dirt, and being so dark it made the house house seem dark. 

In our old house we put a mocha brown color, so a fairly light brown, but definitely darker than a beige.  Again the goal was to balance hiding stains with making it seem like a sad dark cave.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:31 AM »
Two thoughts
1.  Mottled colours camouflage hair and dirt better than solids.  Dark solids will also show things, just different things that you are not seeing now with the light carpet.
2. Pet hair and carpets - before you vacuum, take a barely damp sponge mop and "mop" your carpets - you will be amazed at how much hair/fur gets picked up.  Also, when I bought this house I got rid of the carpet and put in hardwood floors (it was only 2 bedrooms so not a huge expense) and fur management is so much easier.  Would your management go with some sort of solid flooring instead?

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
Yes, it seems dark solid colors have their cons as well.  I'm leaning towards a light-medium brown with subtle patterns/mottling.

I did bring up hardwood floors but management nixed it.  It costs a lot more and they worry about sound proofing.  The sound proofing in the building is non-existent and even with carpeting I can hear my neighbors breathe. All that separates the floors is plywood.  Definitely my most hated feature of my apartment (the location and relative cost are top-notch though, thus the 8 years).

But yeah, hardwood floors is the ideal.  I really hate vacuuming and would rather use a broom.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
2. Pet hair and carpets - before you vacuum, take a barely damp sponge mop and "mop" your carpets - you will be amazed at how much hair/fur gets picked up.

I use a stiff broom to brush up the hair and fur and "amazed" isn't quite the word to describe it.  More like "disgusted!"

Pegasus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
I'm going to put in a mottled color.  I got a few carpet samples from a home improvement store's in stock options and have been putting cat hair on it and various stains to see which shows the least and cleans up the best.  The mottled color is winning!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
Pegasus, sounds like you're going about it the right way!  As a renter, I can't really do much of it.  Texted management my preference and the reply was no mottling or patterns--just solid.  And hey they have been using light brown anyway so that's that.