Author Topic: Career Improvement? move from sales to BS in Math/Programming  (Read 3349 times)

Singularity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have completed 92%+ of my Bachelor's of Science in Mathematics; however, that was 10 years ago and that state college requires half of the degree credits to be completed within the last 4 years.  What are are few cost effective online colleges I should look into?

The local PA community college (associates only) offers part time credits at $153/credit (including fees).
WGU is $252/credit (~$3k/semester) but has Bachelor degree options
My old state college costs $579/credit

Online Degrees is Mathematics appear rare, so its looking like good options may be Computer Science, which I have done work as a Computer Tech/Network Admin/Research Programmer years ago.  Currently I am in a mediocre outside sales job after a few successful inside sales jobs.  Looking at options but insurance sales is the majority of the options posted (the ugly annuities/whole life/supplemental/...).  No debt currently.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:53:50 PM by Singularity »

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Career Improvement? move from sales to BS in Math/Programming
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
Go for the CS degree...  Says the CS graduate ;)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »
Go for the CS degree...  Says the Mathematics graduate ;)

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Career Improvement? move from sales BS in Math/Programming
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
Most universities have an in-residency requirement for a degree, precisely to prevent people from using transfer credits to claim a degree from a school they barely stepped foot on.

Have you tried going back to the original university and asking for an exemption to the 4 year rule? The original institution may be your best bet. You might be surprised what you can get waived if you pester the right signatures and are sincere. If they say no, ask about escalation. If they insist, you might be able to negotiate a certificate, double major, or a post-bachelors degree or certificate, rather than literally redo the same classes.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »
Go for the CS degree, with a minor in mathematics... Says the mom whose son is planning on majoring in CS (and would only need one additional class for the mathematics minor). ;)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »
Sometimes schools will let you transfer and will count more than 2 years worth of credits. Have you looked at other options in your state? Another idea is to check out ASU Online. They only require 30 credits taken from ASU to graduate. They have a pretty wide selection of their degree programs online, and it's a real accredited school that will come with a better reputation than the unaccredited degree mills online. And they have compressed scheduling so you can take a class in 7 or 8 weeks. That helps a lot with prereq requirements. You might have to take a lot of CS classes to get a CS degree. And most of those classes require another CS class as a prereq. CS is no joke either. The classes can be hard.

Look at the requirements and see what you'd need to take to get one degree vs another. That info is readily available online for most universities. And they include online transfer credit calculators too, so you can see what your classes will transfer as.

https://catalog.asu.edu/undergraduatereq
http://asuonline.asu.edu/

Looks like ASU doesn't offer math or CS online, but they do offer an Interdisciplinary Studies degree where you get to pick any two subjects you are interested in (which could be math and CS), complete the requirements to get a minor in each of them, and take 4 BIS classes, satisfy the university's minimum degree requirements, and you get the BIS degree.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 12:14:22 AM »
Go for the CS degree, with a minor in mathematics... Says the mom whose son is planning on majoring in CS (and would only need one additional class for the mathematics minor). ;)

Skip the math minor...says the CS graduate who graduated one class short of the math minor and has ended up no worse off for failing to finish it.