Author Topic: Career decision  (Read 2701 times)

firebird00

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Career decision
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
Hello everyone this is my first post in the money mustache forum. I am a Texas Real Estate Agent. I am seriously considering a career change. People call me all hours of the day, weekends and holidays. I spend hours and money working sometimes only to have a deal fall through. I calculated this years income after tax deductions and I only made $17,000. I've been told that it is quite an achievement to earn that much money the first year but I am not sure it is worth it. The job stresses me out!! I feel like people are needy, dishonest and ungrateful. I love the freedom this job gives me because I have three young children. I am able to spend a lot of time at home with them but a lot of the time I am on the phone or my computer.

I want to take a part time job at Home Depot. I can make the same amount of money with less stress and I will know that I am getting paid at the end of the day. I can set my own schedule.

My husband doesn't think I will be happy working a part time job. I am an Army Veteran and have a Masters degree. I don't feel like I will be disappointed. I told him that my home and happiness are my priorities not the status that comes with working a certain job. I would love your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Financially: We could really use the extra money right now. I always feel like I am desperately waiting for my next house to close.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Career decision
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
What was your military experience and what was your master's degree in?

firebird00

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 01:43:30 PM »
I was an Army firefighter. I taught at the DOD fire Academy after I got out but resigned my position to be a stay at home mom.  My degree is in business management.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
Hello everyone this is my first post in the money mustache forum. I am a Texas Real Estate Agent. I am seriously considering a career change. People call me all hours of the day, weekends and holidays. I spend hours and money working sometimes only to have a deal fall through. I calculated this years income after tax deductions and I only made $17,000. I've been told that it is quite an achievement to earn that much money the first year but I am not sure it is worth it. The job stresses me out!! I feel like people are needy, dishonest and ungrateful. I love the freedom this job gives me because I have three young children. I am able to spend a lot of time at home with them but a lot of the time I am on the phone or my computer.

I want to take a part time job at Home Depot. I can make the same amount of money with less stress and I will know that I am getting paid at the end of the day. I can set my own schedule.

My husband doesn't think I will be happy working a part time job. I am an Army Veteran and have a Masters degree. I don't feel like I will be disappointed. I told him that my home and happiness are my priorities not the status that comes with working a certain job. I would love your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Financially: We could really use the extra money right now. I always feel like I am desperately waiting for my next house to close.

You state that you made $17,000 after tax deductions... did those deductions include a lot of things that will be simply expenses when you have a W2 job?  For example, say you considered your car, a home office, some of your home internet bill, etc to be business expenses, but you will have to pay those expenses anyway working at Home Depot, perhaps netting 17K from realestate is like grossing 50K at a w2 job?

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
Possibly with your background, I would look at property management.  It kind of uses your business mgmt background and even leverages your Texas Real Estate Agent background.  You might be able to throw together a nice resume to get your foot in the door.  I think for the Texas area you could shoot for 30k min plus they tend to have set schedules and I am sure that part time jobs are also possible.

firebird00

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »
Possibly with your background, I would look at property management.  It kind of uses your business mgmt background and even leverages your Texas Real Estate Agent background.  You might be able to throw together a nice resume to get your foot in the door.  I think for the Texas area you could shoot for 30k min plus they tend to have set schedules and I am sure that part time jobs are also possible.

Property management isn't an option with the franchise I work for but I do need to look into other companies thank you.

firebird00

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »

You state that you made $17,000 after tax deductions... did those deductions include a lot of things that will be simply expenses when you have a W2 job?  For example, say you considered your car, a home office, some of your home internet bill, etc to be business expenses, but you will have to pay those expenses anyway working at Home Depot, perhaps netting 17K from realestate is like grossing 50K at a w2 job?

I only did my deductions that are specific to my business. I didn't deduct  the internet because I would be paying for that anyway. I would put a lot less wear and tear on my vehicle. I show a lot of farm and ranch so I drive all over the place right now. I would no longer be able to claim my home office. Good things for me to think about!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!