Poll

If you are in my shoes, which route would you take?

Web Developer
Accountant
mix of both
Too Long Didn't Read :)

Author Topic: Career change!? From Accountant to Web Developer  (Read 45387 times)

Perseid13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Career change!? From Accountant to Web Developer
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »
Hi there,

First of all, thank you for coming back and posting an update and congratulations on your new job.

I am currently in the same situation you were in last year. I work as an auditor and I find what I do very unfulfilling. I live in CA and I'm interested in joining one of the bootcamps in SF, but I had few questions, hopefully you can shed some light:

Prior to joining a bootcamp, what was your level of expertise in programming? Did the bootcamp require you to have a minimum background? And did you have to quit your job in order to complete the bootcamp?

After completing the bootcamp, how long did it take you to find a job? What would you say helped you the most in landing a job?

What languages did you study on your own prior to joining a bootcamp? Did you complete any projects? Did you have a portfolio?

I am currently teaching myself HTML/CSS and will study JS next. Any recommendations in terms of what I need to do to prepare myself? Any websites you used?

From what I read, I'd have to quit my job in order to attend a bootcamp as they're very intensive. I am a female so I'm considering hackbright, although I'm not sure if the culture reflects the tech community culture. Also considering hack reactor and app academy. App academy offers an online pre-bootcamp for $2k and guarantees admission to at least one of the schools mentioned above in addition to few others, do you that would be worth it or should I stick with teaching myself?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

GreenHorn101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2016, 11:08:27 PM »
Prior to joining a bootcamp, what was your level of expertise in programming? Did the bootcamp require you to have a minimum background? And did you have to quit your job in order to complete the bootcamp?

I took the CS50 class from Edx, a python class from Coursera and a C/C++ class from NYU. The bootcamp i went through does not require any prior background. They do want you to finish some pre work before attending. I quit my job in order to attend the bootcamp.

After completing the bootcamp, how long did it take you to find a job? What would you say helped you the most in landing a job?

I got a job offer a week after I finished the bootcamp. Show your passion! There are a lot to learn and there are no way you will know everything from 3 months of bootcamp. Your interviewer knows that. Show them you are genuinely interest in the topic. Talk about yourself. Tell them your story and how you become interested in Tech. Talk about the things you are working on. Geek out. Most techie love to talk about tech :)

What languages did you study on your own prior to joining a bootcamp? Did you complete any projects? Did you have a portfolio?

I went thru a web bootcamp in C#. My portfolio consist of work i did throughout the bootcamp. its a bit embarrassing, not much to show on my portfolio :p

I am currently teaching myself HTML/CSS and will study JS next. Any recommendations in terms of what I need to do to prepare myself? Any websites you used?

Cousera and Edx have some great intro class to computer science. I highly recommend CS50 from Harvard. As far as web dev go, Codecademy is not bad. If you have time, FreeCodeCamp is pretty good too. My favorite is probably PluralSight.

Some resources that i used...
https://prod-edx-mktg-edit.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
https://www.coursera.org/learn/interactive-python-1
https://www.freecodecamp.com/ <- Quite buggy back when i use it, i heard it got a lot better now :)
http://eloquentjavascript.net/ <-- great book on JS, and its free!
http://nodeschool.io/ <-- International Organization with meetup throughout the world.
https://www.pluralsight.com/ <-- You can get free Trial via Microsoft Dev Essential

From what I read, I'd have to quit my job in order to attend a bootcamp as they're very intensive. I am a female so I'm considering hackbright, although I'm not sure if the culture reflects the tech community culture. Also considering hack reactor and app academy. App academy offers an online pre-bootcamp for $2k and guarantees admission to at least one of the schools mentioned above in addition to few others, do you that would be worth it or should I stick with teaching myself?

I heard really good things about App Academy and HackReactor! I am not familiar with hackbright and the prebootcamp program.

There are communities that help woman to get into Tech. Take Advantage!

Are you planning to quit your job soon? Have you talk with anyone who went through bootcamp around your area? I suggest joining some programming meetup group(if you have not already). You will be surprise the amount of people that are willing to help you and give you advice... (and FREE fooddddddd!!!!)

jstay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2016, 06:15:51 AM »
Wow, I think its fate I read this article. I passed the CPA and am awaiting certification from NYS. I hate this career so much - it just is not for me, I need to change my life but don't know what to do. I think about coding and web development a lot, can you tell me more?

I am in your situation where I am 23 with no debt and will have my CPA hopefully shortly. I plan on changing my career after the 10/1 deadline

jstay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me more about analyst positions? What is the work/life balance?

Honestly, I think I am just looking for a 9-5 job where I can make decent money and not be at a  dead end job, any suggestions?

I really don't know if I have the patients for coding and software.

GreenHorn101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »
Wow, I think its fate I read this article. I passed the CPA and am awaiting certification from NYS. I hate this career so much - it just is not for me, I need to change my life but don't know what to do. I think about coding and web development a lot, can you tell me more?

I am in your situation where I am 23 with no debt and will have my CPA hopefully shortly. I plan on changing my career after the 10/1 deadline

Hey congrats on the CPA! If you hate every minute of your job, and it is financially feasible for you to quit your jobs, then do it!
What do you hate about your current job? Have you tried coding? What would you like to know about coding/web dev?

Can anyone tell me more about analyst positions? What is the work/life balance?

Honestly, I think I am just looking for a 9-5 job where I can make decent money and not be at a  dead end job, any suggestions?

I really don't know if I have the patients for coding and software.

Patience is important in most job :)
I wouldn't say working as an accountant is a dead end job, and it does bring in money...

As for Analyst, it is a very vague position. In my (limited) experience, most analyst work on the business side to gather requirement and put together new features/documentation. Their work hours are really base on the company culture. BA at my company has 8/5 work schedule and stay up late at night for production push.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
Jstay and Greenhorn --
-------------------------
Try for an accounting position with a small startup company...  e.g., less than 20 people.  There is such a variety of work when there are few people, that you will be amazed.  Getting on the web developer team part time would be quite simple.
------------------------------
As a business analyst, (for a  Fortune 50 company, not a Big 4) I was called upon to do quite a bit of database development, Graphical User interfaces, and anything and everything to support operations decision making.
------------------
Try temp agencies, to get a rotation of work / business experiences to see what all types of positions do, while helping with accounting and gaining experience.
------------
CPA have a short path to Financial Planner designations, too.

-----------------------
So much variety for CPA's beyond audits, Tax, and Big 4 Accounting!