Author Topic: Career advice: moving from nonprofit to private sector  (Read 1239 times)

tyrannostache

• Bristles
Career advice: moving from nonprofit to private sector
« on: July 15, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »
I’m looking for advice on a potential career change. While I love my nonprofit and its mission, I’m frustrated by the salary limitations. On my current trajectory, the top salary I can aim for in the next 5 years is about $85k/year, and that’s if I climb a few rungs and take on additional responsibility.

Current position:
Communications/philanthropy. 6 years of experience with increasing responsibilities. I coordinate publications and messaging for high-end donors as well as foundations. I have a consistently high success rate in proposal writing, and my supervisors think I'm amazing. Prior to working at this org, I focused on higher ed and teaching (PhD in English with lots of side jobs along the way, which is why I’m still building a career in my 40s).

I’m wondering about private sector positions that would build on this skill set and give me a pathway to a higher salary. I’ve been thinking about corporate communications and content strategy. Are there any MMM folks out there in these fields who could provide some perspective? Thoughts on other careers that might be a good fit?

Valvore

• Stubble
  • Formerly known as FireryFIRE
Re: Career advice: moving from nonprofit to private sector
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »
While I am not in your field, I work with people who do similar work. They do a ton of grant proposals/writing. It pays well and is a specialized field. Government groups and Universities are always seeking good grant writers because they can get you free money! Government positions have their pay scales posted online. Sounds like the current work you do would fit in at Universities too; they always staff for donor outreach.

The opportunity to make money in the private sector is huge. Especially right now with such low unemployment. Start applying places with your min. desired salary and see what you get. You have nothing to lose. Go for it! :)

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
Thanks, @Valvore! I appreciate the encouragement.

I'm not considering at federal government positions--I have too many friends who have gone that route. I've looked in to university development/outreach, but as far as I can tell it would be a lateral move.

To put it plainly, I'm interested in hearing about careers where I could use my communications, proposal writing, and content strategy skills to work my way into the 90K+ range. That's about what it would take for me to make the jump from my current career.

I'd love to hear from folks who do corporate communications or internal communications, or even weird niches like executive presentation coaching.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:13:46 AM »
Any  bank that does B2B would need someone skilled at proposal writing. Think of a bank that has a credit card branded with a baseball team or some other company.

And banks pay well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!