Author Topic: Career advice?  (Read 1132 times)

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Career advice?
« on: March 20, 2020, 07:08:48 PM »
So I thought I would as the Mustachian community if anyone had any recommendations for a job I could work on trying to get, or possibly to go school for, or learn about online.

Some back story about me:
I live in a rural town in Michigan. I currently work at a hotel and spa very close to my house. I can ride my bike there if I feel like it. Its about a two minute drive. (Well I say currently work, I've been on unpaid maternity leave since the beginning of February and then the plague showed up so I've yet to go back to work.) I make $10.50 an hour and when I do go back to work I told them I want about 20-25 hours a week so I don't have to have a baby sitter too often. My mom and my husbands mom are going to baby sit for us.

I've had hopes and dreams of finding a better, more satisfying career. I actually really enjoy most parts of my job, but I thought I would just see if anyone had an good ideas for something I could be suited for.

I have an Associates in Graphic Design and an Associates in Visual arts. I really enjoy organizing things, like paper work or computer files. I really like using Excel at work. I'll get coworkers calling me on my day off to ask me how to do something on Excel because they know I'm the only one that's bothered to try to learn more than the basics, and if there is something I don't know how to do I'm fairly confident I could figure it out with googles help. I like doing secretary like tasks.

I don't mind working with people but having a job that didn't involve interacting with customers/guests would be amazing.

I was thinking something like an accountant could possibly work? I did take one accounting class in college but I recall it being a pretty confusing field. In general it would have to be something that I could even get hired for in rural Michigan, or something I could do online. There are a few bigger cities around me and if it was really worth it I could commute, but I really would rather not. And Mr. Money Mustache would probably agree that I should stick close to home. My husband has been some what interested in moving to a town where he could get paid more, he works in tech support. I'd really rather stay close to family now that we have the little one, we could use the extra help. But we could always move one day.

Any constructive help is appreciated. I'll leave a link here of some of my artwork as well. I do illustrations and watercolor, so that's always another possible direction. Maybe make art for children's books or something.

https://www.deviantart.com/maglomanic/gallery/

Thanks!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Career advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »

I've had hopes and dreams of finding a better, more satisfying career. I actually really enjoy most parts of my job, but I thought I would just see if anyone had an good ideas for something I could be suited for.

OP, Take a Strong Interest Inventory Profile. You may discover  occupations that never occurred to you consonant   with your interests and preferences.

"The Strong Interest Inventory® Profile gives you a list of careers highly admired and highly chosen by those with interests and preferences similar to yours. It breaks down your preferences and inclinations into six General Occupational Themes, which give a broad record of what sorts of jobs you would enjoy."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:45:48 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »

OP, Take a Strong Interest Inventory Profile. You may discover  occupations that never occurred to you consonant   with your interests and preferences.

"The Strong Interest Inventory® Profile gives you a list of careers highly admired and highly chosen by those with interests and preferences similar to yours. It breaks down your preferences and inclinations into six General Occupational Themes, which give a broad record of what sorts of jobs you would enjoy."

That sounds really interesting. Do you know if the only way to do it is to pay for it? I'll keep looking into it. Thank you!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »
There are jobs called UI or UX design where you design the visual elements of a website. If you know Adobe creative suite there is a lot of remote work available.

For excel how advanced are you? If you know pivot tables and macros then you can take classes online to become an accountant. Or become an excel certified trainer.