FXF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:59:11 PM by FXF »

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
Re: Car wont start
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
Should we consider getting a new battery? If so where is the most economical place to do so?
2015, battery maybe covered, start with dealership.  If dealership doesn't do anything, Walmart.

Should we consider just buying one of those mobile jump start kits for such cases?
Cheaper than buying/wasting your time on road side assistance.

Could it be something else or does anyone have another suggestion?
Take it to the dealership.  Potentially the alternator, but I highly doubt it. 

I have a Hyundai as well.  I believe the battery is covered for 2 years at least, 3rd year, they prorate I believe.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:24:45 AM by Easye418 »

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »
go to an auto parts place (Advance, AutoZone, etc) that can check your battery and alternator for free. If you had to get it jumped once, and you didn't leave any lights on, that means something's wrong with it. The good thing about getting it checked is they'll also normally have a new battery in stock for you and replace it for free. (i.e. you pay for the battery, they install it for you)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
Could you seek help from the dealership? A 2015 should have bumper to bumper warranty through 2019.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
I second getting your battery checked at something like an Autozone.  My van wouldn't start one day for my wife.  When I got home it started right up, and continued running fine for months.   I promptly forgot about it until we were on vacation months later...

It turns out there was a dead cell or two that was only a problem periodically (battery testing would have found this prior to vacation).

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
First; check the clamps on the battery - cables.  Make sure they are relatively clean and tight.
Dirty or loose connection doesn't pass enough 'juice' to 'run' the starter.
Really dirty or loose won't pass enough to charge the battery.

Low / dead battery can be caused by;
The engine - charging system not charging the battery - malfunction
The car not driven enough to charge the battery - many short trips, ie not operating the charging system enough
Something draining the battery - either malfunction or something left connected / turned on
The battery not taking/holding the charge

A 'shade-tree' check of the charging system: park facing a wall at night (and kinda close).  Watch the brightness of the headlights and slowly give the running car some gas.  As the engine goes faster (off idle) the lights should get brighter.  Note this may not work with a 'weak' battery as the battery may 'suck-up' all the energy the charging system makes.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
Do you drive it regularly or does it routinely sit for days w/o a start?

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »
Charging your battery takes a while, just bring it to AutoZone and have them check it. They'll be able to tell you if it's even worth charging. I wouldn't buy the portable jump kit, unless you plan to keep the bad battery for a while.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
Sounds like a dead cell or 2 in the battery. I agree that a new battery is needed.

Did the dealership charge you for the tow truck? My guess is no due to the warranty. They should be on the hook for the battery, so I would just keep calling the dealership every time the battery fails ( or the roadside assistance that probably came with the new car purchase). When it becomes cost effective to solve the problem the way they should, they will. Until then, they will just make it inconvenient enough for you that you just fix it yourself. Sounds like you are ready to do that. No way I would cave. I would make them do it right. Not to mention once you do something outside the warranty, they no longer have to cover it.

I would call every time and NEVER pay a bill until they do what they agreed that they would do when you gave them the $15,000 for the car.

I would buy this one before the one you linked.
https://www.amazon.com/Beatit-14000mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B01DGJHUYA/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490711704&sr=1-4&keywords=car+jump+starter

The trouble with the jumper is that it is a great thing to forget about. You will get this problem fixed, put it in your trunk, and not think about it until your next battery issue in about 5-10 years. It will be dead and you will need to get a jump anyway. A good set of jumper cables sounds like a better insurance policy to me.

If you also use it to charge a phone, it is more likely to get regular use to remind you to keep charging it.

Keep us posted.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
FWIW, I once managed to drain the battery on a car with automatic headlights. Turns out there was a "secret handshake" to make the lights stay on forever even without the key in the ignition. I managed to trigger it one night by accident, and by morning the battery was dead. Probably not the issue in this case, but it can happen.

And just generally, any time I have to get a jump start, my re-charge trip always ends in an Advance/AutoZone parking lot, just in case it fails to start again the next time. Have them check the battery while you are there.

Also, if the battery checks out, then you may need to look at the alternator.

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
And just generally, any time I have to get a jump start, my re-charge trip always ends in an Advance/AutoZone parking lot, just in case it fails to start again the next time. Have them check the battery while you are there.

same here. my car gives me a warning start or two, then that's it. i'll get it checked after the first warning start.