Author Topic: Car totalled  (Read 6964 times)

brokemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car totalled
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
My 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid is no more.  Now, I have to secure replacement transportation when I had planned on 3 or 4 more years to save for a car. My job makes being carless impossible ( and much as I would love to, I cannot get another job with the same income and flexibility at 65)
I need something safe and reliable, I don't want to find myself stranded 50 miles from home.
Since my preferred solution, buying a new Volvo and picking it up during a month long tour of Europe, is not feasible, what should I do?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Car totalled
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
My 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid is no more.  Now, I have to secure replacement transportation when I had planned on 3 or 4 more years to save for a car. My job makes being carless impossible ( and much as I would love to, I cannot get another job with the same income and flexibility at 65)
I need something safe and reliable, I don't want to find myself stranded 50 miles from home.
Since my preferred solution, buying a new Volvo and picking it up during a month long tour of Europe, is not feasible, what should I do?
Another 2010 Honda Civic?

My 2001 Prizm was totaled several years ago.  I did end up with a new car (a Civic, ha!), but had I been able to find an 01 Prizm or Corolla (same car), I would have purchased it.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 06:31:40 AM »

Could you provide more info? Are you getting an insurance check? Were you at-fault with liability-only coverage? Do you have any money?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 06:44:21 AM »
I hope you are safe.  Car accidents are terrible.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »
Yes, what kind of insurance coverage do you have?  I think you should be able to take the insurance check and get exactly what you lost, a 2010 hybrid in about the same condition.  If you can't go, go back to the insurance company and tell them they need to adjust the claim payment.  I think that is how it works... 

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
Many car insurance companies will pay for a rental until your claim check appears. Take that and invest in another car.

I would consider upping my emergency fund amount to cover situations like this.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
Why not an old Civic (my 2001 still runs great, though it was given to a teen, I upgraded for spendypants seat warmers). Here are still early 90s models out there) until you can save for the car you want.

If you weren't at fault, the other drivers insurance should cover replacing what you had though. (If you were, well if you don't have collision coverage you are probably out of luck.)

brokemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »
Still waiting for the insurance company to tell me what they think the car is worth.  The painful part is , no matter what the coverage, I will not be made whole.  My work means I drive a LOT and they will lowball the car's value because of high miles.  Also, I lose knowing that the car was well maintained and whatever I get used is a crap shoot.  I have  decent emergency fund, but had just started saving to replace this car in 3-4 years.
I am on the road too much to get a really old car and feel safe as an old lady driving a hundred miles to see a client.
I guess I am looking for a middle of the road solution that won't kill me emergency fund but until the insurance comes through I am going to have to rent something

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 05:06:25 AM »
Many car insurance companies will pay for a rental until your claim check appears. Take that and invest in another car.

I would consider upping my emergency fund amount to cover situations like this.

Yes, I think this would qualify as an emergency, which is exactly what this fund is for.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 06:58:25 AM »
Still waiting for the insurance company to tell me what they think the car is worth.  The painful part is , no matter what the coverage, I will not be made whole.  My work means I drive a LOT and they will lowball the car's value because of high miles.  Also, I lose knowing that the car was well maintained and whatever I get used is a crap shoot.  I have  decent emergency fund, but had just started saving to replace this car in 3-4 years.
I am on the road too much to get a really old car and feel safe as an old lady driving a hundred miles to see a client.
I guess I am looking for a middle of the road solution that won't kill me emergency fund but until the insurance comes through I am going to have to rent something

Who was at fault? What were the circumstances of the crash?

Either way, insurance should be paying for the rental. Especially if they've yet to make an offer on the write-off. If the other driver was at fault, they'll probably offer you a settlement in addition to the value of the car. It may just be a token amount, but it's still something.

Worst case scenario, you can always finance a used car. With a large down payment (insurance check + EFund contribution) on a reasonably priced car, you wouldn't be looking at a huge monthly payment for a long period of time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 07:19:43 AM »
Wait a minute - have you read MMM's latest post about how he just leased a brand-new Leaf? Look into it. I know you drive a lot of miles, but they can usually be purchased up front for less money.so you don't get hammered at the end of the lease.

Also, keep in mind that the insurance company's first offer on your totalled vehicle isn't necessarily their best offer. Counter their high mileage claims with your superior maintenance and the fact that you were planning on driving it (say) five more years.  Negotiate, baby!

Most important: Sounds like you're okay, which is something to be thankful for. Car loans are still cheap and not the worst thing in the world. Don't drain your EF completely and don't lose sleep over this. You'll be okay.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
Wait a minute - have you read MMM's latest post about how he just leased a brand-new Leaf? Look into it. I know you drive a lot of miles, but they can usually be purchased up front for less money.so you don't get hammered at the end of the lease.

Does a Leaf have the kind of range she needs? I thought it wasn't  good for people driving hundreds of miles at a time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »

Does a Leaf have the kind of range she needs? I thought it wasn't  good for people driving hundreds of miles at a time.

Quick Google search produces this:
"The second-generation Nissan Leaf will have a range of at least 200 miles, provided by a new battery pack with a capacity of 60 kilowatt-hours. This will help the next version of the Leaf compete effectively with the upcoming 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV and the future Tesla Model ..."

I'd call it a contender.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
Second-gen Leaf isn't for sale currently. A PHEV might be a great option for OP; used they are substantially discounted, but I don't think a BEV would give her the security she needs.

brokemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
$5800 for my completely functional 2010 civic hybrid?  I don't think so.  I could not replace it for that.  They are pushing the high miles thing, but I am countering that I had a well maintained car and could not replace it for that pittance.
I am going to have to  borrow to get something i feel confident in, even if I get them up a bit.
And I have been having nausea, headaches and incessant ringing in my ears since the accident.
I guess I am just bitching, but really?  Did I need this?

MattC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »
If your car had 100k miles on it, then they're giving you about private party blue book value for it.  Sure you can negotiate for more money (get at least the retail kbb value I would say), but the offer isn't crazy.   

That said, you can definitely get a reliable car for $5800.  If you're driving a lot of miles, get a $5k mid to late 00's Prius.  They last a lot of miles.  There are other reasonable options too, but there are so many Priuses they're probably the easiest one to find. 

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:39 AM »
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your car! I also just had a car totaled - my beloved 2004 BMW convertible which I bought used but still during my spendypants pre-MMM days.  I am now frugal, but still loved the BMW, so I found a 2007 BMW with only 38000 which made it doable. Then the insurance company said I could buy the smushed vehicle for under $500 I'm going to buy it and either part it out (engine is worth over $2000 on eBay), list "as is" on Craigslist and make maybe $1000, or fix it and give it to my kiddo - I am not sure which yet.

Point being - can you get a low mileage older used car, and could you make any money off the car that was smushed? Just a thought....

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:18 AM »
And I have been having nausea, headaches and incessant ringing in my ears since the accident.

Have you sought medical attention for this? It's almost textbook signs of TBI.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
I just searched Autotrader.com for Toyotas under $6000 and came up with 140 listings in my area. They start at around 80k miles, but you could still get a lot more miles out of a Toyota.

The Yaris, Corolla and Matrix are the most common ones popping up, although I see quite a few Avalons too. The Avalon would use a bit more gas, but would certainly be a nice long-distance cruiser.

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
I feel you. I'm in pretty much the exact same situation. My 07 Honda Accord was totaled and now I have limited time to find a replacement. I always planned on driving it til the wheels fell off 10+ years from now. I was able to negotiate after looking at how they came up with the value of the car - two of the comparisons were $1500 lower than the other six comparison cars. Of course, my car was a manual and they are next to impossible to find older with lower mileage - mine only had 59k, so the value doesn't really account for the fact that I can't find one like mine to replace it with. They didn't offer me that much more, but the offer came up about $400.

Definitely talk to them about the medical stuff. I'm having to pay out of pocket for the medical costs until we reach a settlement, but it will be covered - I wasn't at fault.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 01:51:27 PM »
$5800 for my completely functional 2010 civic hybrid?  I don't think so.  I could not replace it for that.  They are pushing the high miles thing, but I am countering that I had a well maintained car and could not replace it for that pittance.
I am going to have to  borrow to get something i feel confident in, even if I get them up a bit.
I guess I am just bitching, but really?  Did I need this?
First, see a doctor so you can document your symptoms. Not kidding one little bit.
Second, fight them until they cough up more money.
Third, anybody have a good used car for brokemom? Start looking, your next great used car is out there. Used car loans are still pretty cheap, so don't fret if you need to get a small loan. Just be glad you're still living in a functioning body and move on with your life. You'll be fine.

Second-gen Leaf isn't for sale currently. A PHEV might be a great option for OP; used they are substantially discounted, but I don't think a BEV would give her the security she needs.
What did Pete just buy er, lease?

ETA: Apparently this never went out, sorry for the delay.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:48:08 PM by Diane C »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »
The six-year-old Civic was the right option before the crash, so there's no reason to change that plan after the crash. Just flip the insurance money into something similar. I've seen newer Nissan Versas with less than 60k miles go for less than your insurance company's first offer.

Your question is how to shop. Step 1 is to avoid dealers. Step 2 is to use the internet or your local paper. Step 3 is to check on your state's vehicle sales tax laws (you may be able to avoid tax if you but within X days.). Step 4 is to be open-minded to at least 6 models/ages ("the deal" could come from any angle. Also, there's never a need for despiration.). Step 5 is to make cash-in-hand offers, and make them quickly when a deal comes along.

If you need more time to shop, just extend the rental car's term a week or two. Beats feeling forced into a quick decision.

brokemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I am heading to the doctor today- finally got an appointment- because I still feel off.
So, maybe it is TBI, but how crazy would it be to lease a Sentra for  $49/mo w/$2999 down for 24 mos, and continue to save to purchase something at the end of the lease? How badly would I get screwed when I went over the 12,000 miles a year?  I could put away $350 a month for 24 months and have @ $8000, plus about $3000 left over from the insurance payoff.
Remind me why this is a bad idea.  I think I am so sick of looking at cars I just want to resolve this

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 06:52:52 AM »
Even if you do not go over 12k miles, you'll be spending $4200 for 24 months or $175/mo. If you just buy a $6k car and make it last 4 years you'd save $50/month! Considering you can get a Toyota in the $6k range with 80-100k, you can easily make such a car last much longer than 4 years.

Speed and convenience can be very tempting, very expensive luxuries. Take an extra day or two to find a good car you can buy, and you'll be thanking yourself for years.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
So, maybe it is TBI, but how crazy would it be to lease a Sentra for  $49/mo w/$2999 down for 24 mos, and continue to save to purchase something at the end of the lease? How badly would I get screwed when I went over the 12,000 miles a year?  I could put away $350 a month for 24 months and have @ $8000, plus about $3000 left over from the insurance payoff.
Remind me why this is a bad idea.  I think I am so sick of looking at cars I just want to resolve this

If you go over the 12,000 miles a year, they will probably charge you 25 cents per mile for the overage. They may also hit you with extra wear and tear charges.

Go to truecar.com and search for used Toyotas (or whatever) in your ZIP code. Set the max price to $6k, sort by mileage descending and see what you get. I did it for my ZIP, and there's a Toyota Yaris with 32k miles for $6k. That's pretty good. My mom has a '99 Yaris that is still going strong and has never given her any trouble.

Here's my sample search: https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listings/toyota/location-08034/price-0-6000/?sortOrder=MILEAGE_ASC&used_opt=usedmake

Personally, I would avoid the Nissan Versa like the plague. It's just a horrible car for he money, considering what else is out there. Also, Nissan's reliability has dropped a lot according to Consumer Reports. I would stick to Toyota and Honda products.

brokemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
Interesting-  I did a local search and while there are some possibilities, I cannot replace what I had for what I will get. Either a lesser model or older car is all that comes up in that price range. Almost nothing in Hondas around here, and very few Toyotas.  Lots of Nissans, which goes to your point.
I will probably have to spend more to get something I feel is reliable enough for the long trips I do routinely.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
I can only assume you living in either a very high cost of living area, or really, really far from civilization :)

In my HCOL area, 2008 Honda 2008+ with less than 100k for under $6k are pretty easy to find.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/search/cto?max_price=6000&auto_make_model=honda&min_auto_year=2008&max_auto_miles=100000

Toyota is similar. Something like this would be great / economical: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5892570564.html