Author Topic: Car Repair or Replace Question  (Read 2745 times)

Dr. A

• Stubble
Car Repair or Replace Question
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
Just looking for some thoughts on what some of you folks would do in my shoes.

I've got a 2005 Toyota Matrix at 140,000 miles. We are a 1-car family and put on 10-12,000 miles a year, which includes a fair number of business miles for my wife (self-employed) and me (reimbursed). We don't depend on it every day, and bike most everywhere local. I've had it for going on 2 years, and repairs have been limited to the no-big-deal items of O2 sensor and charcoal canister. Unfortunately, that streak has ended.

I've been getting an intermittent code (P0741 if you're interested). The transmission shop tells me that it's probably a valve body, which would run me $1,500. Of course (they say), because of the mileage it's possible that changing the valve would change the pressures and could start triggering other parts of the (automatic) transmission to fail, so they're recommending a total rebuild for $3,500.

The vehicle is currently running and shifting fine, so I've got time to make a careful decision. I'm bringing it to another transmission shop for a second opinion and a quote. I am building my DIY skills, but this one is way, way over my head, so that's not an option. Clearbook says that it would be worth just less than $4,000 in good working condition. FWIW, the shop said that they'd buy it from me if I wanted to sell.

So, A) Do you think the shop is bullshitting me over the rebuild? B)What would you do?

I may chime in later with where I'm leaning, but I'd rather get your "from the hip" reactions first.

WingsFan4Life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • LGRW
Re: Car Repair or Replace Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »
I would get like 4-5 quotes and make your decision from there. In the meantime, look for another vehicle?

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Car Repair or Replace Question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »
There was a recall for this issue....an engine management problem.  Simple reprogramming should fix the issue.  If your car is shifting fine then it's not a transmission problem.  Google your pCode and how to remedy before paying $$$$ having unneeded work done on your matrix.