Author Topic: Car rental tip?  (Read 2043 times)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Car rental tip?
« on: November 25, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
Last month, there was a decent deal for the week before Christmas.  I thought there may be a better deal, I was wrong.  Each passing day the rates have gone up.  At this point, do I just bite the bullet and book something before the rates go even higher?  Or just wait until the very last minute and hope for a deal?

I'm going to be southern California.  If it was strictly for me, I would forego the car and just rely on public transportation/car share, but I need a car for some family chaperoning.  Mitigating it somewhat by renting for 4 or 5 days out of 7. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Car rental tip?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 02:10:09 AM »
Book it. Read the fine print. You can usually cancel up to the day of pick up with no consequences. Also check and compare weekly rates. I’ve found that weekly is often the same or cheaper than 3 or 4 day rentals.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 06:15:53 AM »
Always book a rental as soon as you decide to go on the trip. My experience has been that they're super easy to cancel, so I just keep an eye on the rates as the trip approaches and rebook if they drop. Make sure you understand the cancellation terms before you do this of course though.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 06:25:09 AM »
I've gotten a couple of great deals through Costco.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 07:17:32 AM »
Check Autoslash for discounted rates.

I always book a pay-at-counter rate as soon as I know I need a rental car.  Most places don't even require a credit card to reserve - so they are very easy to cancel.  Then I check often to see if prices go down and rebook.  Sometimes they do, but usually they don't.

FrenchToast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
Agree, book ASAP as long as you can cancel. Then keep an eye during black friday/cyber Monday. Also check credit card portals, Costco etc for the best rates.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
Yes, I was so distressed by the prices going up, I forgot that not all of them were pay upfront.  I guess I should go ahead and book the least worst non payment upfront deal now and hope something comes along.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
Book it. Read the fine print. You can usually cancel up to the day of pick up with no consequences. Also check and compare weekly rates. I’ve found that weekly is often the same or cheaper than 3 or 4 day rentals.

Yes, the overall total price isn't much higher for a whole week but factoring in insurance and gas, the extra 2-3 days adds another hundred or so.  I do not own a car so when I rent I buy all the insurance from full car coverage to liability.  It adds up nicely...for the car rental company.  I used to rely on my credit card for car coverage but my brother, who works in insurance, advised me to buy from the rental companies.  He does it himself even though he has his own car insurance.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
+1 on Autoslash. It's found me great deals several times, and even automatically rebooked me.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
Autoslash got me the lowest rate so far for a free cancellation deal.  It's actually from the airport so I'll have the car for the entire trip.  So if there's a better deal for the same dates, will Autoslash update me?  Or should I keep checking daily?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
Autoslash got me the lowest rate so far for a free cancellation deal.  It's actually from the airport so I'll have the car for the entire trip.  So if there's a better deal for the same dates, will Autoslash update me?  Or should I keep checking daily?
If you plugged your reservation info into their 'Track a rental' form, they will notify you of price drops.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »

Yes, the overall total price isn't much higher for a whole week but factoring in insurance and gas, the extra 2-3 days adds another hundred or so.  I do not own a car so when I rent I buy all the insurance from full car coverage to liability.  It adds up nicely...for the car rental company.  I used to rely on my credit card for car coverage but my brother, who works in insurance, advised me to buy from the rental companies.  He does it himself even though he has his own car insurance.
[/quote]

Look into buying non-owner car insurance . . . we paid $25 a year when we were overseas, so when we rented a car in the States (or borrowed from a family member) we had our own insurance.
That plus renting with a credit card that offers insurance will almost certainly be cheaper than buying insurance from the rental car company.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »

Look into buying non-owner car insurance . . . we paid $25 a year when we were overseas, so when we rented a car in the States (or borrowed from a family member) we had our own insurance.
That plus renting with a credit card that offers insurance will almost certainly be cheaper than buying insurance from the rental car company.
[/quote]

I did buy liability non owner insurance last year.  The cheapest was Geico at about $30 per month for 6 months.  This is in the US, not sure it can get any cheaper.  I didn't drive enough this year to warrant keeping that insurance.  As I already explained, I'm following my brother's advice to buy insurance from the rental car company.  I, for many years, relied on my credit card to provide coverage.  After hearing some horror stories from people who declined coverage from the rental car companies and my brother's advice--I decided it was worth the cost.  Trust me, every time when I'm at the counter, I waver on whether to buy the insurance.  After all, I had rented over 15 years without any problems.  But I have decided that the extra $17 a day isn't going to prevent me from retiring and it's worth the piece of mind.  Especially as I'm driving and parking in southern California.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
My travel CCs cover rental/CDW insurance. The Chase is even primary.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!