Author Topic: Car recommendation for 65 yr old mom with high step in height  (Read 3686 times)

drobots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm currently helping my mom plan for her retirement, and her 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe (that she still owes $26k on) is on the chopping block. She got it because it was higher up than her slightly older sedan, and at 5'11" with two total knee replacements it's uncomfortable for her to get in and out of a low car. But most SUVs are so pricey it's hard to justify.

So, if you had to get a used SUV, which one(s) would you get? I'm thinking something like a 2010-ish Honda CR-V?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Car recommendation for 65 yr old mom with high step in height
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:23:52 PM »
Time to donk:

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »
We looked at the CRV and the Rav4, both were great but the Rav4 just felt nicer and had nicer finishes inside. It's a 2011 and going strong, no issues at all. It's probably hard to go wrong with Honda or Toyota.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:47:28 PM »
We looked at the CRV and the Rav4, both were great but the Rav4 just felt nicer and had nicer finishes inside. It's a 2011 and going strong, no issues at all. It's probably hard to go wrong with Honda or Toyota.

Yep, Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV as well as the Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage would also work if you are looking in that category of smallish SUVs, but a much more mustachian choice (since your asking on this site :) ) would be something like a used Kia Rondo from 2008 or so.  Its got the higher seating, loads of space, decent fuel economy if you get the 4 cylinder and is pretty cheap to pick up in good shape with reasonable mileage.  Its a very popular car with older folks around my area. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:35:49 AM »
The CR-V is a good choice, mechanically simple and reliable. Spacious while being smaller than the Santa Fe and better on fuel.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »

I'm currently helping my mom plan for her retirement, and her 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe (that she still owes $26k on) is on the chopping block. She got it because it was higher up than her slightly older sedan, and at 5'11" with two total knee replacements it's uncomfortable for her to get in and out of a low car. But most SUVs are so pricey it's hard to justify.

So, if you had to get a used SUV, which one(s) would you get? I'm thinking something like a 2010-ish Honda CR-V?

The CR-V is a good choice, mechanically simple and reliable. Spacious while being smaller than the Santa Fe and better on fuel.

Honestly, a 2010ish CRV isn't going to be cheap, and although its slightly better on gas and might be slightly more reliable than a Santa Fe, you're not going to save her much staying in the Newish-SUV category.  If you are really looking to help her with pre-retirement saving and get her post-retirement costs down, go for a taller economy car or small crossover.  Like i said, the Kia Rondo is an awesome choice, or maybe something like a Mazda 5, although i haven't driven the Mazda, but it seems similarly higher up and might work. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
Have she tried using something like this? Apologies for the cheesy commercial acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BerjmgPcXbQ

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
My folks got a Kia Soul for this very reason.  It is one of the easiest ingress/egress cars I've been in, and surprisingly comfortable. 

drobots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:56:31 AM »
Thanks all! I did not expect a lot of Kia recommendations, but I did check out the Soul and Rondo. I'm not a huge fan of getting a car that's discontinued in the US (the Rondo) for parts/serviceability, and I think the Soul is probably too "boxy" for my mom, but I'll run it by her. The 2010-ish CR-Vs I'm seeing are around $13k so I might still be leaning that way: a brand I know (and my mom knows) and trust, still sold in the US, and at least slightly better gas mileage.

Also, I did check out the car jack - that is a great idea! But my mom has very little upper body strength and refuses to work out in any way (I've tried), so I don't think that will work for her either.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
Thanks all! I did not expect a lot of Kia recommendations, but I did check out the Soul and Rondo. I'm not a huge fan of getting a car that's discontinued in the US (the Rondo) for parts/serviceability, and I think the Soul is probably too "boxy" for my mom, but I'll run it by her. The 2010-ish CR-Vs I'm seeing are around $13k so I might still be leaning that way: a brand I know (and my mom knows) and trust, still sold in the US, and at least slightly better gas mileage.

Also, I did check out the car jack - that is a great idea! But my mom has very little upper body strength and refuses to work out in any way (I've tried), so I don't think that will work for her either.

Why would you worry about a discontinued model?  All cars are outdated within 5-8 years.  Even models that have been around for 50 years like the Toyota Corolla, yeah they still make them under the same model name, but try putting 2016 corolla parts in a 1972 model.  Or even a 2002, it's not gonna happen.   Also, the Rondo uses basically all the same major parts as many of the same year Kia and Hyundai vehicles (they are made by the same manufacturer) and can be serviced at either dealer or better yet any independent shop.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »
My 74-yr old mum got a Ford Focus and loves is!  She has had two knee replacements too. No prob getting in and out. When she gets in my car, she has to use her hands to get her leg in the car!