Author Topic: Car Questions, confusing myself  (Read 3768 times)

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car Questions, confusing myself
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
I am trying to figure out our car situation and what the smartest path is.  Right now we have a 08 Acura worth a minimum of 16k but hoping we can sell for 17k.  It has 101k miles, and doesn't get great mileage, maybe 20mpg?  It also takes supreme gas.  My husband has agreed to sell it, we are compromising because he wants a motorcycle (3k limit). 

That part is something I agreed to, but I said we needed to downgrade from luxury car to something cheaper.  We are a one car family, and he has a very short commute, we are in an apartment now about 4 miles from his work, but when we buy a house we should be no further than 8 miles I would say.  I was looking at a prius.  A 2007 for $9500 with 93k miles.  We have two in carseats, and do not drive much in a year, besides the commute we maybe drive to a vacation and some random family visits a couple hours away. 

I feel like we would save money even downgrading to a Honda Accord of a similar year with less miles and less luxury.  But I like the mileage you get with a prius.  Am I overlooking anything?  I always think about the costs associated with trading cars around and I want to save money- not waste money. 

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
Re: Car Questions, confusing myself
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »
Am I overlooking anything?

You could get insurance quotes for the cars you intend to replace the Acura with.

You probably are already looking at private-party sale and purchase, but might as well put that out there. Plus cost of inspecting the vehicle to be purchased.

Generally it looks like value of a used vehicle is most affected by mileage, and second by age, and then by a new generation of the model being introduced.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
Just be aware that battery replacements aren't cheap, we're talking $3-$4k.    Don't get me wrong, I love our Civic hybrid but we have had to replace the hybrid battery once under warranty at around 75,000.   

If it were me, I'd look at something like the Civic HF.    It has a very simple drivetrain and Honda reliability, but it uses some aerodynamic tweaks to squeeze out gas mileage that's almost as good as a hybrid.     You could probably sell your Acura and just about cover the cost of a brand new one.    Or buy a used one that's only about 2 years old and walk away with a little bit of money.

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
I definitely wanted to buy the motorcycle with profits from the sale.  Thanks for your input- ill check out that civic

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 01:22:39 AM »
How many miles do you do a year?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:37:32 AM »
Why a motorcycle? Worth pointing out that motorcycles are many orders of magnitude more dangerous than bikes.

With the amount of driving you do, I'd worry less about fuel economy and more on finding a good deal - which can sometimes require patience.

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »
I will GUESS 6000 miles a year, but I have never tracked it, and we are in a new area with a new job/new commute.  But I would say low around 6000.  The motorcycle isn't to save or anything.. its just something he always wanted to do, and I don't mind at this point.  It also may be a small convenience for us on days I need the car for doctors appts or toddler meet ups- he could take the bike.  I love biking, and I use a Burley, but biking here isn't as easy as it was in my last town.  I can't go to town here without getting on a pretty busy parkway with a small shoulder.  Not worth it with my two small girls.

That may change when we move to a house in the next year or two… but I am also rambling and it probably isn't relevant. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!