Author Topic: car question-newbie  (Read 3208 times)

SKB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
car question-newbie
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
We are finally paying off stu loans soon, and discovered we are wasting lots in the dumb places! A car question: We have a Honda crv 2013 with 17k miles (face punch) mainly used (now that we moved closer to my work) for a 15 mile round trip 5 day commute with one kid, and for the weekend family things, and for occasional road trips. Most mileage was from pre - move. It is worth 19k, owe 12k at 0.9%. We also have a 2010 VW jetta tdi, 90K miles. Owe 9k at 3.9%, worth 12k. (Face punch). That's a standard transmission so only DH drives that for his longer 20 mile one way commute. We can pay both off by fall. Should we sell one instead? We would need 2 cars, no bike options yet. No credit card debt, paying some pmi but have thrown everything at 6.5% stu loans to get them GONE! 11k to go, should be about 6K stu loans left in a month.  Or should we keep crv, take the tdi for longer trips and ride it out?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:05:41 PM by SKB »

ritchie70

• Bristles
Re: car question-newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
Neither one is a radically absurd car from a fuel efficiency perspective, especially given how little you drive the CRV.  It isn't like it's a Suburban.

You owe less than either is worth. If you want to free up some of their value and trade down,  that's certainly fine but I don't personally think it's a BAD choice to just keep the two cars you have.

SKB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
Thanks. I don't know what we were thinking, could have paid off so much instead of these depreciating hunks of metal!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Dump the CRV and buy something cheaper with the difference. Learn to drive a stick, they are great. Better efficiency, lower cost, lower maintenance costs - where's the down side? Today's hydraulic clutches are incredibly light.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:02:54 PM »
Both are great cars from a safety perspective, but you could get nearly the same amount of safety for significantly less with, say, a 2007 CR-V and a 2005 Jetta. In your position, I'd ditch the Jetta simply from a maintenance perspective; those things aren't reliable. In return, I'd get another mid-sized sedan with side airbags and ESC standard, like a 2008 Accord.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 05:11:27 AM »
Both are great cars from a safety perspective, but you could get nearly the same amount of safety for significantly less with, say, a 2007 CR-V and a 2005 Jetta. In your position, I'd ditch the Jetta simply from a maintenance perspective; those things aren't reliable. In return, I'd get another mid-sized sedan with side airbags and ESC standard, like a 2008 Accord.

Reliability on the Jettas are dependent on country-of-origin. Made in Germany? Usually quality is better, maintenance is lower.

..and those TDIs can get some aweseome mileage, though less than the older ones. I forget the year that they switched to the thirstier engine.