Author Topic: Car Question  (Read 3445 times)

Kjmiller1984

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car Question
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
I currently drive an 02 corolla. It has 190k miles on it. The car still runs and drives down the road just fine (other than needing new struts) It was a car that was given to me free by someone who didnt really take that good of care of it. i currently only drive it 3 miles each way to work (looking into getting a bike, but havent really found anything that will fit me, i am 6'8"). The car currently only gets about 24-26mpg per tank of gas. As i said it wasnt taken that great care of, and that generation of corolla are notorious for having sludge and oil leakage, due to lack of holes in the piston rings.

My question is, i have been thinking lately of selling my corolla and using the proceeds to pick up a used civic. Would the difference in improved gas mileage be enough to cover the cost difference? I could get 1500 maybe 2k for the corolla and i constantly see civics on craigslist for 3-5k.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Car Question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
What does the math say?

How many miles a year do you put on the car, what's your anticipated Civic fuel economy, and what's your average price of gasoline?

surfhb

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
I wouldn't.    It runs fine.

We're talking a very small amount of savings here based on your driving habits

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
Nope. Your Corolla is a known quantity and runs fine. Even if you could save money on gas, it seems like an unnecessary hassle. Also be sure to calculate including sales tax if your state charges that (mine does upon registration of a newly purchased used vehicle). And way to go on the bike - get on that! 3 miles is a super easy commute you'll hardly have to think about it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
I would also say no.  Your relatively low gas mileage could be due to only driving it 3 miles to work.  Short trips get lousy mileage.

Replace the struts, catch up on other maintenance if you have to and drive it until it dies.  If you live 3 miles from work, a breakdown wouldn't be the end of the world anyway.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
24-26 mpg isn't completely unexpected if you're driving primary city roads for short distances. The rated city fuel economy for the 2002 Corolla is 25-28 mpg (depending on transmission). Your engine is more efficient when at normal operating temperature which you might not even be reaching in a 3-mile trip, so that will hit your fuel economy as well. Switching to a Civic might not even help you save fuel for this use case.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:54:00 PM by RWD »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »
Your engine is more efficient when at normal operating temperature which you might not even be reaching in a 3-mile trip, so that will hit your fuel economy as well. Switching to a Civic might not even help you save fuel for this use case.

Totally this.  I wouldn't switch given the listed use case.

My wife's 1.8 L 2002 Celica gets her 28 MPG on her work commute.  I get 34 MPG out of my older, less efficient 2.2 (1991) in a heavier car on my commute.  Because I drive further...  We took her car on a long trip and it got 42 MPG...

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
You'd only gain a few MPG by switching to a Civic (you'd gain a lot more by going to a Prius, but at a significantly increased cost).

If you're only doing a few miles a year, the savings made in gas alone by going to a Civic probably won't be worth it.

I'd just hang onto the Corolla, and drive it until it drops. If it does go pop, you'll likely have the cash ready to pick up something anyway.

That and look into a bike for your commute. 3 miles should be a fairly easy 20min ride. :)