Author Topic: Car parking in front of driveway - suggestions?  (Read 9930 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Car parking in front of driveway - suggestions?
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
So, today I went to put the garbage out at the curb, only to discover that there was a car parked in front of my house, blocking about two feet of my driveway.

I live on a court.  The court has houses on it with wedge shaped lots, with the narrow edge of the wedge at the front where the road is, and then widening to the back yards.  In front of my house there is a section of curb about 10 or 12 ft wide between my and my left hand neighbour's driveway.  Every once in a while someone decides that this is the perfect place to park their car, and then they block about a third of my (or my neighbour's) driveway.  The neighbour on my right hand side has a driveway that meets my driveway, and usually parks his vehicle at the bottom of his driveway close to where the two driveways meet.

The upshot of this is that when my driveway is blocked by someone parking in front of my house, it's extremely difficult for my wife to maneuver the car out in the morning.

I've called traffic enforcement a couple times, and they'll come out within 3-4 hours to write a ticket.  But they require that I be there when they're writing the ticket.  This doesn't really work on weekdays when I work.  Extra annoying is that today was garbage day, and the car was blocking where I put our garbage bins out.

What is the best resolution to this problem?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: Car parking in front of driveway - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:14:30 AM »
Sounds like you don't have an HOA? Are there HOA's in Canada?

Do you have any idea who is actually parking there? Is it always the same car or different?

Parking can be a huge problem in my neighborhood as well. I live in a townhome, so everything is really tight. Everyone complains about the parking situation, but there aren't any easy solutions.

One thought I have is to get the curb in front of your house declared/painted as a fire lane. Cars can likely be towed immediately in that scenario. Would still be a ridiculous hassle for you in the mornings though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »
Sounds like you don't have an HOA? Are there HOA's in Canada?

Do you have any idea who is actually parking there? Is it always the same car or different?

Parking can be a huge problem in my neighborhood as well. I live in a townhome, so everything is really tight. Everyone complains about the parking situation, but there aren't any easy solutions.

One thought I have is to get the curb in front of your house declared/painted as a fire lane. Cars can likely be towed immediately in that scenario. Would still be a ridiculous hassle for you in the mornings though.

This doesn't happen too frequently, maybe once or twice a year, and I don't know whose car it is.  It's just really annoying.  I've also just checked Ontario's highway traffic act and it appears to be illegal to park within a foot and a half of a driveway entrance, let alone overhanging the driveway.

On what basis are the tickets being issued? Is the 10' stretch a no-parking area? Or is the ticketing for overextending into your driveway space? If the former, what indicates it as such right now? (Yellow curb, fire hydrant, sign?) If nothing, an indicator might be very helpful.

Someone I know facing a similar challenge asked his municipality to designate a public, parkable section no-parking and to put a sign in. It did! No more problem.

A lot of people put a homemade sign saying the same, even for spots that allow public parking. When those are nice (explanatory, e.g., "we need this area for wheelchair access"), I always honour those and I think most people do.

The ticket would be issued for obstructing access to my driveway.  Unfortunately, the strip in front of my house is not wide enough for a car to park there without obstructing someone's driveway, but it's just about wide enough . . . which I think is what leads some people to park there.  As mentioned though, today was particularly annoying as it prevented me from putting my garbage cans where they normally go.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »
Can you put up a sign to say that cars that would block the driveway on either side (e.g., anything larger than a Smart Car) are prohibited from parking there, and that violators would be towed at the car owner's expense?  Even if there's no way to get towing, it might act as a deterrent.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
Once or twice a YEAR? Frankly, doing *anything* doesn't seem worth the hassle since it happens so rarely!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
I call BS on the rule that you have to be there. The law is the law. Ask them to show you the section of the penal code that requires your presence when someone else is in violation.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
Just had an idea! Buy one of those cheap basketball hoops with the weight at the bottom on craigslist and leave it out in the street next to the curb. BOOM! No one can park there.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:51:32 AM »
Just had an idea! Buy one of those cheap basketball hoops with the weight at the bottom on craigslist and leave it out in the street next to the curb. BOOM! No one can park there.

Hah. I was trying to think of what you could plant on that part of your lawn that would discourage people from parking there, but I like this option better.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
I call BS on the rule that you have to be there. The law is the law. Ask them to show you the section of the penal code that requires your presence when someone else is in violation.
Don't forget that a car parked in front of a driveway is not inherently breaking a law. A home owner can often park in front of their own driveway, and how would a cop know that it's not your car if you weren't there.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
Don't forget that a car parked in front of a driveway is not inherently breaking a law. A home owner can often park in front of their own driveway, and how would a cop know that it's not your car if you weren't there.
A car parked in front of a driveway IS breaking the law!  A home owner (or other legal resident) placing a car at the end of their drive to load or un-load is not 'parking'.
And; The LEO will 'call in' (done on computer now) the license plate, which gives the registration address. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
As referenced upthread, this is a violation of Ontario's highway traffic act.  It's also a pretty common ordinance in the US.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »

This depends on your jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, it's always illegal, and that includes homeowners (which has once or twice caused some truly hilarious and farcical situations...).

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
So, today I went to put the garbage out at the curb, only to discover that there was a car parked in front of my house, blocking about two feet of my driveway.

I live on a court.  The court has houses on it with wedge shaped lots, with the narrow edge of the wedge at the front where the road is, and then widening to the back yards.  In front of my house there is a section of curb about 10 or 12 ft wide between my and my left hand neighbour's driveway.  Every once in a while someone decides that this is the perfect place to park their car, and then they block about a third of my (or my neighbour's) driveway.  The neighbour on my right hand side has a driveway that meets my driveway, and usually parks his vehicle at the bottom of his driveway close to where the two driveways meet.

The upshot of this is that when my driveway is blocked by someone parking in front of my house, it's extremely difficult for my wife to maneuver the car out in the morning.

I've called traffic enforcement a couple times, and they'll come out within 3-4 hours to write a ticket.  But they require that I be there when they're writing the ticket.  This doesn't really work on weekdays when I work.  Extra annoying is that today was garbage day, and the car was blocking where I put our garbage bins out.

I have a similar problem with people occasionally parking in front of my driveway (once it was county probation officers). There isn't a general problem with parking on my street. I can see how the fence and gate make it a little difficult to notice the driveway when driving by, but it should be obvious to anyone that the driveway is there by the time they stop less than 20 feet in front of my car. I've thought about improving the visibility aspect by painting the street.

Fortunately for me the people parked in front of my driveway are usually only there briefly. One time I went out to the car to look for information that might help me identify who it belonged to hand had the driver come out cursing that I was invading their privacy by looking through windows of their car. Law enforcement will only do something for me if it is impossible to get in/out of the driveway (just difficult isn't enough). Having called law enforcement out once, the problem seems to have become less.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
Maybe I can get my wife to park at the very bottom of the driveway.  This way it'll make it very obvious that she can't get out of the driveway with someone parked in front of the house.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

Call a tow truck.  Preferably one that will not charge you, but charge the owner of the car.

I used to live in an apartment building with assigned parking and packed street parking.  There was one apt in the 4 apt unit that had one parking space but 3 cars.  Often, one of them would park in the back of the lot.  Now, I could still back out if they did that.  But sometimes, a second person would park there, effectively blocking me in.  I went to work at 7 am.  I called the landlord, they called the tow truck.  When they heard the truck coming there would be a lot of swearing.

Now, I'm not a bad guy - if they had only left a note on their car or mine (hey, we are in Unit B, knock on door if you need to leave - fine).

The other option is to leave a nice note on the car, that we cannot pull out.

That has worked in my current house - where we live on a hill and a curve.  There are usually 3 large trucks/ SUVs who love the spot in front of my house because it's big.  Unfortunately, when you drive a small car (Corolla or Civic), you cannot see to pull out.  We had one car totaled that way and the Civic had $6500 of damage.  So a few times, when a new large SUV parks there, I put a nice note.  "Hey, we can't see to pull out when you park here, and we've had one car totaled with our child in the car, can you please park elsewhere?"  It worked.

Sometimes though, I just park there myself.

If the nice note doesn't work, then a nasty one or tow truck.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
My landlord expanded his driveway, but people would continue park according to its previous dimensions, blocking part of it. So he asked the city to install a no parking sign at the new edge of the driveway. It worked. Maybe you can get a sign put there.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »

1. Usually the 'upshot' is the silver lining or positive benefit of the situation. Do you dislike your wife, so her having a difficult morning with the car trapped in the driveway is a good thing in your case? Or does it force her to bike instead of car?

2. I automatically go with the nuclear option (but just in my head)... smear animal shit on the door handles and windshield, roll the car over on it's side away from your property, etc. But in reality I'd say write a polite note (not passive-aggressive), and briefly explain that parking there blocks your driveway. If the same car parks again go with the nuclear options above.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
That has worked in my current house - where we live on a hill and a curve.  There are usually 3 large trucks/ SUVs who love the spot in front of my house because it's big.  Unfortunately, when you drive a small car (Corolla or Civic), you cannot see to pull out.  We had one car totaled that way and the Civic had $6500 of damage.  So a few times, when a new large SUV parks there, I put a nice note.  "Hey, we can't see to pull out when you park here, and we've had one car totaled with our child in the car, can you please park elsewhere?"  It worked.
For visibility reasons, I always back into my driveway. The visibility problem begins with the brick pillars of my front fence, but parked cars can increase the problem.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »

1. Usually the 'upshot' is the silver lining or positive benefit of the situation. Do you dislike your wife, so her having a difficult morning with the car trapped in the driveway is a good thing in your case? Or does it force her to bike instead of car?

2. I automatically go with the nuclear option (but just in my head)... smear animal shit on the door handles and windshield, roll the car over on it's side away from your property, etc. But in reality I'd say write a polite note (not passive-aggressive), and briefly explain that parking there blocks your driveway. If the same car parks again go with the nuclear options above.

Nope, you are using it wrong. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/upshot  A quick Google before correcting someone else's grammar or usage is always a good idea.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
mm1970, I am surprised you can just "call a tow truck" in your jurisdiction.  In my city, there are regulations on towing from PRIVATE property, and you certainly can't tow a car from a public way, even if it's blocking you in.  You can call the city (311 for parking enforcement, not the actual police) and they might tow, but usually will just issue a ticket.

We did have a big problem with people blocking the alley just behind our building parking lot (our "driveway" of sorts) and I did all the legwork to get a legal towing contract set up, get the signs posted, etc.  The signs have been a big deterrent - we've only had one incident in two or three years.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

Nope, you are using it wrong. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/upshot  A quick Google before correcting someone else's grammar or usage is always a good idea.

Well, the upshot was that I learned a new thing today.

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
Signs are ugly and heavy handed, and the people who they apply to won't necessarily read the sign.

Instead, why not paint the road, to make a pattern that people will intuitively avoid parking over. This photo (from Tunbridge Wells Council in England) shows one possible pattern.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »

Well, the upshot was that I learned a new thing today.

No worries.  I actually had to go look up 'upshot' because your post made me distrust my understanding of the word.  :P

1) talk to your neighbors

Which neighbours though?  I don't recognize the car, so it's not one of my neighbours to either side of me.  There are 14 houses on the court that it could be from . . . or it could be from one of the houses just outside the court, which brings things to about thirty homes that the car could be from.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
Maybe I can get my wife to park at the very bottom of the driveway.  This way it'll make it very obvious that she can't get out of the driveway with someone parked in front of the house.

That would be my suggestion... but you say it only happens a few times a year.  Would she otherwise be parking in a garage or under a covered carport?

Another idea would be to place two orange traffic cones on either end of the driveway.

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
Plant a large rose bush with arching branches at the edge of the street in the center if the curb between the two driveways.  Get one with the nastiest thorns possible.  It will scratch the side of any car that tries to park there.  Screeeeeeeeeetch.  You'll have the side benefit of nice flowers to look at.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »
mm1970, I am surprised you can just "call a tow truck" in your jurisdiction.  In my city, there are regulations on towing from PRIVATE property, and you certainly can't tow a car from a public way, even if it's blocking you in.  You can call the city (311 for parking enforcement, not the actual police) and they might tow, but usually will just issue a ticket.

We did have a big problem with people blocking the alley just behind our building parking lot (our "driveway" of sorts) and I did all the legwork to get a legal towing contract set up, get the signs posted, etc.  The signs have been a big deterrent - we've only had one incident in two or three years.
Eh, if someone was blocking my driveway from being able to go to work, I'd call a tow truck first and apologize later.  Google is unable to tell me if it's legal or not in my city, so I guess I don't care?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
Print out and use these:

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
I get your frustration. Similar situation, equally annoying, was when some asshole locked their bike to mine along with the rack. I notified campus security, and they said there was nothing they could do. I had to leave my bike there until the idiot came back and unlocked their bike. Luckily that time I had nowhere to be right away but there are plenty of evenings where that would have forced me to pay for a bus or taxi to get somewhere I needed to be. Security should have cut their lock and left their bike to get stolen (or taken it somewhere safe and left a note of where to get it if they were gonna be nice).
You should be able to get that car towed and ticketed for parking illegally in a way that prevents you from using your own vehicle, it's bullshit that the city won't do anything about it. Can you ask to get a sign or lines painted so it's very clear where people can and cannot leave their vehicle?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
Signs are ugly and heavy handed, and the people who they apply to won't necessarily read the sign.

Instead, why not paint the road, to make a pattern that people will intuitively avoid parking over. This photo (from Tunbridge Wells Council in England) shows one possible pattern.
In my area, the L bars in this example would be the norm.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 01:48:39 AM »
If your car isn't worth much, back out of the driveway as fast as you can, and see what happens.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Our driveway is partially blocked about once a week on average.  We've had blatant full blocks 1-2X per year.

Once or twice a year partial blocks sounds like a dream!

If you do ever figure out how to stop it, let us know.   Nothing has proven an effective deterrent on our street for the past 10 years or so.

Some people will ignore everything and park however they like.  I refer to these folks as having a 'special permit'.  Replace special with asshole.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
Our driveway is partially blocked about once a week on average.  We've had blatant full blocks 1-2X per year.

Once or twice a year partial blocks sounds like a dream!

If you do ever figure out how to stop it, let us know.   Nothing has proven an effective deterrent on our street for the past 10 years or so.

Some people will ignore everything and park however they like.  I refer to these folks as having a 'special permit'.  Replace special with asshole.

Get a hi-lift jack and roll the blocking car over. I bet they won't park there ever again.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
Paint the "too narrow to park" curb RED.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
We have a slightly different problem than the OP, with a circular drive and curb space between the two entrances that is more than enough for one car, but not enough for two. Usually no problem because most people who park in front just split the distance between the two, but occasionally some really parking-conscientious person will pull as far forward as they can, leaving a large but not quite large enough space for a second car. Fine for me, because I can get either of our cars in and out from our front garage using either entrance, but my wife isn't as skilled, so she's got to ask them to move (she uses once entrance to pull in and the other to pull out, so doesn't matter which one gets partially blocked, it's still going to be a problem for her). Luckily (or not so) there are tons of lawn companies and tradespeople accounting for most of these situations, and are usually readily available to move.

All of that long text above was just justification for me to attempt to hijack the thread and ask the much more important question:

How do we get people to stop blocking sidewalks with their vehicles, and is my wife correct that "accidentally" keying a car/truck that is doing so really wrong?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
We have a slightly different problem than the OP, with a circular drive and curb space between the two entrances that is more than enough for one car, but not enough for two. Usually no problem because most people who park in front just split the distance between the two, but occasionally some really parking-conscientious person will pull as far forward as they can, leaving a large but not quite large enough space for a second car. Fine for me, because I can get either of our cars in and out from our front garage using either entrance, but my wife isn't as skilled, so she's got to ask them to move (she uses once entrance to pull in and the other to pull out, so doesn't matter which one gets partially blocked, it's still going to be a problem for her). Luckily (or not so) there are tons of lawn companies and tradespeople accounting for most of these situations, and are usually readily available to move.

All of that long text above was just justification for me to attempt to hijack the thread and ask the much more important question:

How do we get people to stop blocking sidewalks with their vehicles, and is my wife correct that "accidentally" keying a car/truck that is doing so really wrong?

No need for keying.  I'm going with caltrops.

:P

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Paint the "too narrow to park" curb RED.

Here in Seattle you're allowed to use yellow paint to mark the section of curb where it's already illegal to park. I haven't found the need on my own driveway, but it seems effective where others have done it. Look into whether this is allowed in your area.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
Venting

New neighbours moved in across the street, on a corner lot. I have two full spots in front of my house to park, I like it when their empty and I can swoop in and park, also good for visitors. They have already started using those spots while the spots in front of their own house are vacant. They aren't doing anything illegal, just annoying. I'm waiting to catch them and personally ask then to park in front of their own house, its BS having empty spots in front of your own house and using your neighbours spots instead.

A few years ago I had other neighbours parking in front regularly. They have an illegal suite and they chose to not install parking spots; which is the difference between illegal and legals suites in my city. Every time I saw that car I felt annoyance, I had to have guests parking down the street just so the cheapskate could save a few bucks and avoid the city bylaw.

Stupid parking is a quick way to annoy your neighbours, I understand your frustration. My mistake is letting it slide for too long, to the point where its awkward bringing it up. By the time I usually mention it people respnd with "dude, I've been parking there for a year, where am I suppose to park?" and they become indignant that I waited so long.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »
Venting

New neighbours moved in across the street, on a corner lot. I have two full spots in front of my house to park, I like it when their empty and I can swoop in and park, also good for visitors. They have already started using those spots while the spots in front of their own house are vacant. They aren't doing anything illegal, just annoying. I'm waiting to catch them and personally ask then to park in front of their own house, its BS having empty spots in front of your own house and using your neighbours spots instead.

A few years ago I had other neighbours parking in front regularly. They have an illegal suite and they chose to not install parking spots; which is the difference between illegal and legals suites in my city. Every time I saw that car I felt annoyance, I had to have guests parking down the street just so the cheapskate could save a few bucks and avoid the city bylaw.

Stupid parking is a quick way to annoy your neighbours, I understand your frustration. My mistake is letting it slide for too long, to the point where its awkward bringing it up. By the time I usually mention it people respnd with "dude, I've been parking there for a year, where am I suppose to park?" and they become indignant that I waited so long.

Park your cars in-front of their house, leaving your driveway empty for the times you need guests.  :P

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
Venting

Park your cars in-front of their house, leaving your driveway empty for the times you need guests.  :P
Lol, I already told the wife I was going to do that this weekend. I forgot to mention, their driveway was empty of cars when they parked in front of my house. On street parking while your driveway is empty is baffling to me.

I might try talking first, but its more fun your way.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
I'm surprised it takes bylaw so long to come and write a ticket. I'm also amazed they ask you to be at home!

I would certainly ask the town/city to put a 'don't park here' line down. And yes, to those asking, in Ontario you are not allowed to park in front of or right next to a driveway, even if it's your own. You are also only allowed to park facing the direction of traffic on that side of the road (unlike the UK, say).

As to Prarie Stash.. I get what you're saying, but a parking space on a public road is on a public road. Public. Anyone can park there, as long as they are obeying all bylaws...

We went to visit family in Florida once, on some fancy private estate - you weren't even allowed to park on your *own* driveway! Either in the garage, or in the public parking spots. I mean... really?

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »
@daverobev I agree, its public and legal. Its also legal to report illegal suites...it was very tempting to get them evicted. I was kind and didn't go that far.

As for the neighbours, its crazy what good will can do. Prior to their purchase I was shovelling the snow for the elderly lady living there (she passed) and taking out the garbage bin. With heavy falls my immediate neighbour would use his snow blower on all the properties, he's experienced the same parking shenanigans already and will not be helping out next winter.

The rules of society are arbitrary and complicated. City bylaws are nothing compared to the pettiness of the neighbours ;)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
Venting

Perhaps they prefer your side of the street because of the direction they enter/leave - especially if they come in from one side and out the other which would make parking in front of their own house require two turn turnarounds.

Besides asking nicely, you could also try to discourage this behavior by:
  • being messy with your yard work splattering the sides of their car
  • regularly parking in front of their house (if you need to turn around, be sure to use their driveway)

Complain to local authorities until law enforcement starts issuing parking tickets for this violation.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 09:14:48 AM »
Have you tried dumping some of the messy trash on their car?

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
If you know which house the car belongs to, especially if it's a repeat offender, I would start by asking them to move the car. You've got the perfect excuse in that "their car might get hit" when you back out. Some people just suck at situational awareness, especially younger or elderly drivers. (Bonus points if you can bang on the door at the least convenient time possible.)

If it's different people every time, so training won't work, you might look into whether it's legal to paint the curb. Our HOA does that. It's not enforceable by the city, but enough people are convinced it is that it's cut way back on people blocking the visibility of our garage exits.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
I would just print off a paper sign and put under their windsheild warning next time it will be ticketed and towed.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2018, 04:34:05 AM »

Throw a brick through their window.  Problem solved.

kidmont

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
Try to find out the car owner. It can be solved easily by discussion. Why people suggesting wrong advice here!
However, your driveway looks too smooth and that man feels more comfortable to park there: ). What type of driveway sealer are you using? Are you using Latex-Ite Driveway Sealer? I heard that it works great to make the driveway smooth.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:39:10 PM by kidmont »

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
I would put a note on the windshield just informing the person that they are blocking my drive way. I would consider putting a note in all neighbor's letterbox "I have on occasion had people who have parked so that my drive way was blocked. I would appreciate it if you direct any guests to parking in x legal spot or that they park on your drive way." I think that most reasonable people would not be offended by this and probably have no idea that any guest has done this to you so they will be willing to help you with this.

Also, in my country you would be able to easily access who actually owns the car from the registration number so I might have just checked who owned it and tried to find their number and just called them. I did that the last two times someone parked in our prepaid parking spot. One had the car registered to her father but he promised to call her and the car was moved within half an hour so I am sure he did. The other guy was a bit of an ass at first but did move the car after a while. I don't get why someone would be an ass when they intentionally parked in someone else's spot but then again people are weird.