Author Topic: car maintenance  (Read 4258 times)

EJSmith10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
car maintenance
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
I have a 2011 VW Golf with 27,000 miles on it. So far, I've just gotten oil changes and other small updates under the three-year warrantee. Now that I have to pay for maintenance, I wonder: My Golf has been golden so far, with no problems at all. Should I pay for a 30,000-mile check, or am I fine until something is obviously wrong? Thanks for your thoughts.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: car maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
Read and study your service manual. Follow it as long as your car is under warranty and keep your records. If it says to check coolant at 30k miles, and you don't, and something catastrophic happens that could have been prevented by something like checking your coolant, your warranty will likely be voided and you will be stuck with out of pocket expenses. Once warranty is up I typically space things out a bit more.

As to what's required at 30k, all cars are different. I'm sure German cars (your VW) has different service intervals than many Americans cars.

Good luck!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
At 30,000 I doubt it will be anything major. But do study your service manual and keep meticulous records.

You might take this as an opportunity to learn to do your own maintenance if so inclined.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »
If it's anything like my VW I would sell it immediately and save yourself the headache. I've had $1000s of dollars of "issues" that have appeared right after that 36,000 mile warranty expired.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
I have a 2011 VW Golf with 27,000 miles on it... Should I pay for a 30,000-mile check, or am I fine until something is obviously wrong?

The time to handle a vehicle problem is before it manifests itself.  That is what regular maintenance and scheduled checks are designed for.  Take it from a guy who is driving a 1996 vehicle without ever having had a major problem with it.  Regular maintenance and scheduled checks are the smart way to go.  Don't be penny smart and pound foolish.

Good luck.