Author Topic: Car insurance options for non-car owners to drive other people's cars?  (Read 1298 times)


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 6806
  • Location: London, UK
I passed my driving test last week and I'm not buying a car. However, I know lots of friends nearby with cars, and it would be helpful to be able to borrow one of theirs from time to time to make short local trips or to help with driving for longer trips we make together. However, I'm really struggling to work out what the best insurance option is.

As far as I'm aware, my two options are to get temporary insurance for a few days as and when I need it, or to be a named driver on one person's insurance. However, to be honest I don't NEED to drive a car at all. I'm (obviously!) a new driver (although I am 25), so I know that the cost might be ridiculous. I'd really love to have some ballpark figures for those two options before I start giving an insurance company my inside leg measurement so they can give me a quote. I will not be able to hire a car or join anything like Zipcar until I have had my licence for a year.

So, do you have an opinion on whether temporary or named driver insurance is a better option for me? And do you have any idea how much either might cost? (In , ideally!)


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1086
  • Age: 32
Not sure how any of this works in the UK.

In the US of A, most of the reputable insurance companies allow for "permissive use" of someone's vehicle. Meaning, a friend just has to give you permission (verbal or perhaps implied) to drive their vehicle and most of their coverage will apply while you have possession of it.

I'd start by first asking one of your friends if they can check with their insurance company.