Author Topic: Car insurance  (Read 2374 times)

FIREball567

• Stubble
Car insurance
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
My Geico 6 month renewal is due this month and the prices jumped up from $867 to $1,016 because of a truck slamming into my parked car one day at work and Geico couldn't get their license (It was a rainy day and my dash cam couldn't get a clear image). I drive a leased SUV (I know! This was before I discovered MMM). Any suggestions? I'm based in NY and have a clean driving record, no moving violations, and only a few parking tickets in the past few years.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Car insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
Shop around for cheaper quotes. There are a lot of options and there's a good chance one of them will offer a reasonable rate. I had to do this when my old insurance wanted $1000/six months for a 12 year old Subaru... I switched to Progressive which was less than half the cost.

Then you should work on switching to a cheaper car. Or go carless and rent when necessary, if reasonable.

FIREball567

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
I tried Progressive and State Farm's price quotes and they were higher than what I'm getting at Geico.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
I tried Progressive and State Farm's price quotes and they were higher than what I'm getting at Geico.

Two down, twenty to go:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/best-car-insurance-companies/

FIREball567

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
Thanks! I can't get over the fact that when they asked if I had been in an accident this year, I have to put down "Yes" even though my car was parked and another truck hit mine.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »
Thanks! I can't get over the fact that when they asked if I had been in an accident this year, I have to put down "Yes" even though my car was parked and another truck hit mine.
No problem.

You have to put down "yes"? But you weren't personally in an accident, just your car. I couldn't find an answer with a quick Google search, but that seems wrong to me.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
Try and agent too. You have no obligation to buy from them if they don't come back with a competitive quote, but they may be able to help.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
Does your parked car being hit and run really count as you being in an accident? I would think that would be talking about a moving accident, but maybe not.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
You really shouldn't have to pay more for that kind of incident. Did you call them and explain?

We have Allstate because it's bundled with our home insurance and we get a discount. We deal with a local agent, which I like better than the Geico impersonal customer service.

FIREball567

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments! I will call up Geico and explain the situation. If they don't reduce the quote, I will personally visit a few places and shop around.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »
+1 on the call. And any comparison quotes you get should be over the phone so you can tell them what happened. They may have a different way of listing accidents. We've been hit a few times and it never raised our rates because it wasn't our fault. However, in our situation we always did have information for the at-fault drivers.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
ameriprise- through costco

wheezle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 09:40:10 PM »
Does your parked car being hit and run really count as you being in an accident? I would think that would be talking about a moving accident, but maybe not.
Agreed This happened to me. A plow hit my parked car in a lot. Also New York. It was never considered an accident.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!