Author Topic: Car Dilemma - time for a used Hyundai?  (Read 5173 times)

moustache1979

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car Dilemma - time for a used Hyundai?
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
i have a 2001 malibu that is on its last legs.  needs $2500 of work, unlikely to pass next emissions test, etc.

Also generally annoying because theft system will randomly engage and the only fix i know of is waiting 10-15 min and trying again.

I looked today and saw a 2010 Elantra Touring, only about 35k miles, for $13k
Also there is a 2009 Accent hatchback for about $7500, 55k miles.

Those are the 2 that stood out to me.  My price range is up to $13k.

Does anyone have experience with these cars?

I have 3 kids so it would be nice to get 3 car seats into the car, so something a bit bigger than compact/small size would be ideal.

Also, i only drive about 6k miles per year.

Any thoughts or suggestions on these cars or other options?

Thanks

engineerjourney

• Bristles
Re: Car Dilemma - time for a used Hyundai?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
The Accent is a tiny car!!  I have an 2011 Elantra (not hatchback) and we can fit three adults in the back though it is a little of a squeeze.  I would look more into the Elantra than the Accent!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »
Never owned a Hyundai myself but every one I've been in that was over 100k miles has been a POS.  Similar experiences with Kia.  These cars are known to be cheap, not quality, imo, so if you want a good car that will last a long time, go for ones that are known for that.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
big hyundai fan. the newer ones (05+) are really well built cars.

I've owned several, and they're the most maintenance free car I've ever come across, just keep up with the general stuff and the keep going.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Never owned a Hyundai myself but every one I've been in that was over 100k miles has been a POS.  Similar experiences with Kia.  These cars are known to be cheap, not quality, imo, so if you want a good car that will last a long time, go for ones that are known for that.

The old Kia and Hyundai cars are not great.  They have gotten a lot better. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »
The Accent is a tiny car!!  I have an 2011 Elantra (not hatchback) and we can fit three adults in the back though it is a little of a squeeze.  I would look more into the Elantra than the Accent!

I had a 2003 Accent (which is a little different than a 2009), but you'd be really surprised just how much stuff you can shove into it. I'd say an Accent hatchback is more useful than an Elantra sedan, unless you really need four doors.

big hyundai fan. the newer ones (05+) are really well built cars.

I agree with these statements, although I'd say they've been really well built since '01 or '02.

The only reason I'm not still driving my '03 Accent is that a tree fell on it.

Frugalfrieda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
The Elantra Touring is a 5 door ie  station wagon. It is a very well-designed and functional vehicle with good reviews on Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. And the standard 100000 warranty will be in force until the car is ten years old or it reaches...100000 miles.

Hyundais and  Kias are fabulous cars, with some models totally Mustachian. Great gas mileage, inexpensive to buy and maintain, and pretty much indestructible. Try to find a Toyota or Honda of similar quality and equipment for the same price - it won't happen.

I bought my Elantra in 2005 and sold it to a friend in 2012 with 140000 miles on it. I wish I had kept it. It was the most comfortable and practical car I've ever owned.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »

Anyone here driving a high mileage one?  And by high I mean over 200k.  I am open to having my opinion changed, as yes, it is based on older models.

pjm123a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »

Anyone here driving a high mileage one?  And by high I mean over 200k.  I am open to having my opinion changed, as yes, it is based on older models.
I had an 02 Sonata. Had 180+k miles on it when it was totaled by insurance company. Would have easily gotten over 200k. In my opinion any Hyundai from the early 2000's on is as reliable as anything from Honda, Toyota, etc. I am now in the market to replace my Sonata. I see that early 2000's Toyotas and Hondas command a premiym over Hyundais. It is completely unjustified as far as I am concerned and have no intent to pay it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!