Author Topic: Car Change?  (Read 3613 times)

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
Car Change?
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
Current Vechicle:

2005 Hyundai Elantra
97500 (Had for 1 year bought at 90400)
Leather seats/ exterior good
Haven't put money in besides 2 new tires

KBB says 3100 (bought for 3400)

Potentiel Car

Toyota Camry 1999
101400 miles previous owner has had for about 5 years
Has the records and car has been serviced at Toyota Dealership for recent repairs
Got new tires last year, Did about $3000 in work at TDealership in 2014
One back window does not work.

KBB says 2150 ( I could probably get 1900 for it since it is from a friend)

I guess the only reason I am considering it is because people always say Toyotas are good cars to drive and repairs are cheat. It's a minor interior upgrade because my car is kinda cramped. My car is approaching the 100,000 mile arena so I wonder if I have a lot of repairs on the horizon.

Kind of seems like trading apples with apples?
Exterior is okay, more roomy inside. No alarm like my car

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Car Change?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
I guess I don't really see the point.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
Transaction costs are not minor. Yeah, I don't see the point.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
How badly do you want to make the switch? I speak anecdoatally here when I say that late 90's Camrys are not the best that Toyota produced. Another thing to consider is that Toyotas and Honda are generally no more reliable than their counterparts. Over the years Toyota and Honda have gained perceived reliability - most models have suffered from problems just as any other car but large production volumes and maintaining the model name over decades has driven down the average repair trip per car.

All that being said, this is the only criteria I would use to evaluate the two mechanically (assuming rust and cosmetic things are a non-issue to you). The 4cyl Camry has a non-interference engine - if the timing belt breaks (the number one thing you need to worry about as a car ages), the valves in the engine will not smash into the piston heads and destroy the engine. Your Hyundai has an interference engine, so that is an outside possibility.

The chances of the timing belt breaking are slim, especially if you have it replaced at the correct interval. Is the fear of thousands in engine damage enough to get you to go through the buying and selling process? If yes - do it. If no - don't bother.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
Doesn't seem like you gain much.

The Toyota comes with 6 more years of exposure to salt/water/sun and a worse driver safety rating.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »
I wouldn't willingly buy a car without ESC or side airbags any more than I'd willingly buy a car without seat belts. These are basic, vital safety features that no car should be without.

smartmoneymd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Smart Money MD
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
I agree with the others--not worth the swap. Good point about the interference engine @chemistk. I've been thinking of replacing my timing belt on my '06 Impreza, but haven't gotten around to it.

I can't speak for the Camry's, but looking at the parts of the early 90's Accords (1992 and older) vs 2002 and newer, it seems like many of the parts of the newer models seem a lot more cheaply constructed. Not sure if that translates to shorter lifespan, however.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 02:18:28 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't bother. The car's six years older, for one. It probably uses more gas as well.

Nothing wrong with the Hyundai, keep it for a number of years and another 100,000 miles :)

A used Hyundai is often itself a good Mustachian car.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:58:04 AM »
thank you all for the input.

I'll keep the car I have.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »
FWIW, you *will* probably have a bunch of expensive maintenance coming up.  Everything from fluid changes to timing belts.  Lots of people sell their cars around this mileage in order to avoid paying for the maintenance.  But once you do the maintenance, the car is good for another 60 or 100,000 miles.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
Yes I have about $1000 budgeted for the year for this