Author Topic: Car change - make this switch?  (Read 3893 times)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
Car change - make this switch?
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
I have a 2001 Honda Insight that I think is very mustachian.. purchased for $4800, gets 55-70mpg, and should last a long time.  Before becoming mustachian we bought my wife a 2011 Kia Sorento.  This now has ~$30k miles on it and is probably worth $19-20k.  This SUV gets ~26mpg on avg.  It's paid off now as well.
We're considering selling it for something more mustachian. We originally bought it because we thought it was needed for our (2) dogs, but really they'd fit in a normal sized 4-door car.  We were thinking something like a 2008 Toyota Prius.  The Kia would sell for about $19, and I think I can get the Prius for about $15k.  I'd come out with $4k and a car that gets better gas mileage and about the same insurance payment.

My wife has been a little picky about what she can drive in the past because she is in consulting and takes customers/coworker executives around in her car occasionally.  The Kia was fine for that, but I dont think she'd feel the same driving a Honda Fit.  The Prius has a different feeling than other fairly inexpensvie cars... maybe it's the trendy "cool" factor, but if she's fine driving it I'm happy she'll go for something with really good gas mileage like the Prius.

Should I make this switch?  If so, any other cars I should consider?

CB

• Stubble
Re: Car change - make this switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
If your wife is turned off by the hatchback nature of the Prius, the Civic Hybrid sedan is a very similar car in terms of efficiency and cost of ownership.  I think they might even be a bit cheaper than similar-age Prii.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I think she'd much prefer the Prius over the Civic Hybrid because I happen to know she dislikes the styling of the Civic.  Also the Civic doesn't scream "I'm Green" like the Prius does.. in her eyes anyway.
So after looking into the Prius prices it looks like I can:
Sell Kia Sorento for $19,000 privately
Buy 2007 Prius with 40k miles for $15,500

Come out with $3,500 plus save on gas (approximately 15mpg difference in cars).

sibamor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
Also the Civic doesn't scream "I'm Green" like the Prius does.. in her eyes anyway.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155193/thanks

Why is 'scream green' necessary? Each hybrid has its own premium cost of ownership compared to others.

http://vincentric.com/Home/IndustryReports/HybridAnalysisJuly2012.aspx

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
"Scream Green" is necessary to her, not to me.  I dont give a crap what it screams as long as it's fuel efficient and less expensive than her current Kia Sorento.  It's necessary to her because she doesn't want to take her coworkers or customers around in an eco-car, but thinks the Prius is the exception because it says "I drive this because I care about the environment" and anyone who sees a prius recognizes it as a hybrid, which might not the be case for a civic hybrid.
Even though I dont completely agree w/ that line of thinking, I recognize that she's not the exception in thinking this way.  Plenty of people buy prius' for the image.. same goes for high end luxury cars, sports cars, etc.

Ok back on topic - Are there any other cars you would suggest looking into?  Is a used Prius generally considered a smart purchase?

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
Yes, a used Prius is a smart choice:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/the-best-used-vehicles-for-under-20-000/index.htm

My parents have a 2004 which is still going strong. The battery replacement people thought could be so onerous back then has turned out to be no big deal:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1077652_replacing-a-2001-toyota-prius-battery-pack-what-it-cost
http://www.cartalk.com/content/today-daphnes-prius-needs-new-battery
I'm sure as more Priuses come to the end of battery life, the battery aftermarket will develop further.

The one thing to note is that a Prius is a valuable vehicle in the used market today because of its high fuel efficiency, so if you own one, you're holding a lot of "automotive inventory." If you don't drive much, something like a Pontiac Vibe (a Toyota Matrix with a GM badge, so it's depreciated faster) is a good choice. My '03 looked pretty new in 2011, got about 28MPG in mixed driving, cost $5000, and was nice & roomy (past tense because I didn't need a car & sold it to my cousin).