Author Topic: Car A/C Broke  (Read 2351 times)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Car A/C Broke
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »
So I've been putting this of for a while but need to start thinking about it since summer is not too far away. The A/C broke in my Civic at the beginning of last summer. Ironically it happened on our way back from buying a Prius for my SO. I garaged the car over last summer as I had 3 months off work so didn't really worry about it.

Well it appears my condenser needs replaced and I got a quote for $1600. Fuck! My car is only worth about 4 grand. Anyone have any experience with this type of maintenance and what sort of cost seems reasonable? $1600 seems too high. My car is an 06 Civic. Just curious if anyone has any similar experiences they could share. 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Car A/C Broke
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Sounds about right.  Probably something like $1000 for the condensor, $200 for a dryer, and $400 for refrigerant and labor for all of the above.

Yeah, the A/C is currently broken on all 3 of our cars.  Luckily we live someplace where you really only feel miserable on a handful of days.  We can deal with it those few days.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
Sounds about right.  Probably something like $1000 for the condensor, $200 for a dryer, and $400 for refrigerant and labor for all of the above.

Yeah, the A/C is currently broken on all 3 of our cars.  Luckily we live someplace where you really only feel miserable on a handful of days.  We can deal with it those few days.

I might try to deal with it but commuting 40 miles roundtrip in sometimes 90+ degree heat for days on end in the middle of summer does not sound fun.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
I think it sound way high.  Google "honda civic condenser replacement cost" seems to confirm.  My car AC died last summer, and they just filled it with more gas, but added a tracer so they can tell where it's leaking.  We haven't had it back since we barely drive it.  Maybe shop around for prices.  Are you sure they found the cause, and aren't just quoting the most expensive repair?
I once had a garage replace my alternator, and it turned out the real problem was an electrical short.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »
I think it sound way high.  Google "honda civic condenser replacement cost" seems to confirm.  My car AC died last summer, and they just filled it with more gas, but added a tracer so they can tell where it's leaking.  We haven't had it back since we barely drive it.  Maybe shop around for prices.  Are you sure they found the cause, and aren't just quoting the most expensive repair?
I once had a garage replace my alternator, and it turned out the real problem was an electrical short.

We've been using this mechanic for quite some time. They have always been very good, reasonably priced and trustworthy. I would like to get a couple more quotes though. I did do some "googling" for prices and it seems around $1200 was about average price. My SO has a co-worker who's husband is a mechanic. I might get a hold of him to see what he would do it for. It would be tough to eat $1600.