Author Topic: Cape Town 2019 for 40th-Help me fly there for free (or very close to it)  (Read 2449 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Ok so I'm considering 10-14 days in Cape Town for my 40th.  This would be February 2019.  Let's assume I'm starting with 0 credit card points and no flight status on any airlines. 

I have most of next year to get a strategy going to try to fund the flight so I'm not paying anything out of pocket.  I'll likely be flying out of Atlanta or Miami.  Flying back in to Atlanta.  Considering the distance this will be the longest I've ever flown so an upgraded flight on the way back would be great if possible but hey, I understand it might not be.  I think economy flights around that time of year are running like $1200ish. 

I'll already be at the 5/24 Chase limit FYI.

Any thoughts on what card to get or strategy on how to fund the flight?

Wings5

• Stubble
Re: Cape Town 2019 for 40th-Help me fly there for free (or very close to it)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
I'm not a card churner, but have you considered working for an airline if travel is your thing? They all have interline agreements. I could get from the southern US to South Africa for free (one method) or for about $200 (the other).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
You're already at the 5/24 limit? Makes it harder.

Go to awardhacker and see who flies there and what points you'll need.

AA might work. Get the Barclay Aviator (60k miles for $90+1st purchase) and then the Citi card for another 60k ($3000 spend). It looks that'll get you Business (75k miles) or First (120k miles), one way.

Then consider an AmEx MR card and an AmEx SPG card and transfer those to Kris or Aeroplan. That'll get you business class for 75k, one way.

Oh, I should add that awards seats, especially above economy fare, go quickly. As in, 10 months ahead of time. Get the business seats you want first. You can always return your economy award seat for a fee if/when the business award seats open up a week before the flight leaves.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:21:24 PM by bacchi »

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2014/06/24/transfer-partner-master-list/

This is a list of which of the major credit card points transfer to which airlines.  I don't think it shows Citi Thankyou points.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Sign up for a chase ink business preferred card.  They will look the other way on a 5/24 as long as it's a business card.  Send me a pm with your first name and email and I'll send you a referral link through chase.  I get a 20k point bonus.  FYI you don't have to have a business to qualify.  I'll explain more in the pm.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
Sign up for a chase ink business preferred card.  They will look the other way on a 5/24 as long as it's a business card.  Send me a pm with your first name and email and I'll send you a referral link through chase.  I get a 20k point bonus.  FYI you don't have to have a business to qualify.  I'll explain more in the pm.

Sorry everyone that I'm just coming back to this thread!

Duke03, I just sent you a pm....

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »
I'm not a card churner, but have you considered working for an airline if travel is your thing? They all have interline agreements. I could get from the southern US to South Africa for free (one method) or for about $200 (the other).

I haven't considered doing that as I couldn't really think of a position I could take that would pay close to what I make now...

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »
You're already at the 5/24 limit? Makes it harder.

Go to awardhacker and see who flies there and what points you'll need.

AA might work. Get the Barclay Aviator (60k miles for $90+1st purchase) and then the Citi card for another 60k ($3000 spend). It looks that'll get you Business (75k miles) or First (120k miles), one way.

Then consider an AmEx MR card and an AmEx SPG card and transfer those to Kris or Aeroplan. That'll get you business class for 75k, one way.

Oh, I should add that awards seats, especially above economy fare, go quickly. As in, 10 months ahead of time. Get the business seats you want first. You can always return your economy award seat for a fee if/when the business award seats open up a week before the flight leaves.

Thanks for the great pointers RE: the cards above...I'm a bit concerned now that the seats will go so fast...basically you're saying I need to book my tickets by April 2018?  That's a bit sooner than I was anticipating have to book (I was thinking Julyish). 

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2014/06/24/transfer-partner-master-list/

This is a list of which of the major credit card points transfer to which airlines.  I don't think it shows Citi Thankyou points.

Thank you!!