Author Topic: Canned Sardines/ Oysters  (Read 3303 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Canned Sardines/ Oysters
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
I have been on an Oyster and Sardine kick lately and have found cans of each to be incredibly satiating and convenient.
In order to get quality, wild caught, bpa free versions I am spending around $2.50 a can for the sardines and $3.50 for the oysters.
These are not foods I eat all the time but rather as supplements/ portable options but that said, I still feel thats a bit pricey considering these are not a full meal by themselves.
Has anyone that is into these found a good place to buy at a cheaper price? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as I am just getting into this.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Canned Sardines/ Oysters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
Season Brand

This is the only brand I can comment on, available at costco, though at 3.09/can it doesn't beat your current price point.

hoipolloi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
I'm interested in this as well. Find myself eating a lot of sardines lately. I've just been doing the ones from Trader Joe's $2 or $2.50 for wild caught fillets packed in olive oil. Anything cheaper and it feels like a pretty big dip in quality.

hollyluja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
I get King Oscar brand in oil from Amazon Subscribe N Save for $2.50 per can.  I believe they won a Cooks Illustrated taste test, and I've been really happy with them.  I'll have to try Trader Joe's if they have them cheaper.

I've also found some great imported brands at the Grocery Outlet (scratch n dent) store for much cheaper.  The only problem is the supply is not reliable

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
I really like the smoked sardines from Trader Joe's. I don't remember how much they cost, but it was probably $2.50/can or less.

ChairmanKaga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
I loved sardines as a kid.
Yes, I was a weird kid.
Recently I caught Alton Brown discussing sardines and got back on the train. The guy is a BIG advocate of the stinky little fishes. Lots of health packed into a small can.
http://www.food.com/recipe/alton-browns-sherried-sardine-toast-407075

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »
I see them on occasion at the 99 Cents Only Store. I stock up on them for a friend of mine only after vetting the brand/ingredients label through her first. I have purchased as many as 50 cans for her. I'm a vegetarian, so I never touch the stuff, but I'm happy to help frugal friends score deals. She returns the favor. Frugal friends rock!