Author Topic: Canadian Mustachians : tips requested!  (Read 3765 times)

ReadingLearner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Canadian Mustachians : tips requested!
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
Hello,
Do any Canadian Mustachians have any wisdom or tips they would like to share?

-I.E. Good investment blogs, books
-side gig ideas
-small practical things that help you save.

Thanks!

young canadian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Canadian Mustachians : tips requested!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
Public Mobile (link below) - Least expensive full service (ie: not Wind Mobile) cell phone provider in Canada (that I have found). They piggyback on the Telus network (were recently acquired by Telus) so reception is excellent, and if you pay by credit card and refer your friends, you can save quite a bit of money.

If anyone is interested in signing up, PM me and I'll send you my phone number for a referral :)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
Public Mobile (link below) - Least expensive full service (ie: not Wind Mobile) cell phone provider in Canada (that I have found). They piggyback on the Telus network (were recently acquired by Telus) so reception is excellent, and if you pay by credit card and refer your friends, you can save quite a bit of money.

If anyone is interested in signing up, PM me and I'll send you my phone number for a referral :)

Thanks for the info! Been looking for a non-Wind plan that's reasonably priced as I work just outside the border of Wind network.

For the OP...

Investment: I recommend Questrade, a self-directed brokerage. They do not charge for ETF purchases so it's great for monthly contributions. Use a simple Couch Potato strategy. Vanguard ETFs, iShares Core ETFs, and BMO ETFs are all generally well priced.

Banking: Consider tangerine, PC Financial, or a local credit union to pay zero account fees. My credit union doesn't charge account fees for balances over $1000.

Books: Read The Four Pillars of Investing, William Bernstein. Its American but only takes a few small tweaks to Canadianize it. The advice is top-notch. The Wealthy Barber and Wealthy Barber Returns, David Chilton are great Canadian books. All available for free at nearly any local library.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
I use Scotia iTrade myself for buying Vanguard ETF index funds (I chose this platform as I bank at Scotia)
Great website for your investment strategy as mentioned by Tuxedo > the Canadian Couch Potatoe , I use the 3 fund Vanguard ETF strategy http://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios-2/

Good Canadian Content websites
http://boomerandecho.com
http://blog.canadian-dream-free-at-45.com
http://blondeonabudget.ca

Soak up this reading as a start and be a sponge and hunt down more information and soak it up :)

young canadian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:27:21 AM »

Thanks for the info! Been looking for a non-Wind plan that's reasonably priced as I work just outside the border of Wind network.

For the OP...

Investment: I recommend Questrade, a self-directed brokerage. They do not charge for ETF purchases so it's great for monthly contributions. Use a simple Couch Potato strategy. Vanguard ETFs, iShares Core ETFs, and BMO ETFs are all generally well priced.

Banking: Consider tangerine, PC Financial, or a local credit union to pay zero account fees. My credit union doesn't charge account fees for balances over $1000.

Books: Read The Four Pillars of Investing, William Bernstein. Its American but only takes a few small tweaks to Canadianize it. The advice is top-notch. The Wealthy Barber and Wealthy Barber Returns, David Chilton are great Canadian books. All available for free at nearly any local library.

Completely forgot about Tangerine -  great bank to deal with! No fees, competitive rates, free email transfers... got everyone I know to sign up. Referral code to earn yourself $50 if you're looking to sign up, as below:

I want you to save your money with Tangerine. What does this mean? It means that when you open a Tangerine Account - whether it's a Chequing Account, Savings Account, RSP, Tax-Free Savings Account, or GIC - with a minimum of $100, Tangerine will start you off with a $50* bonus!

All you have to do is enter my ORANGE KEY 13908371S1 when you sign up and you're set to go.

Visit www.tangerine.ca/referafriend to learn more.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »
Wealthing like rabbits is a good basic (Canadian)  introduction to smart finances. I believe myself to be a non-n00b, and I still found a few interesting tips and new ways of looking at things in it.

TrMama

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
I like the PC Financial Mastercard. Basic reward card that lets you cash in points at the till of any Loblaws owned grocery. If you have a high monthly spend, there are likely more lucrative cards out there, but this one works great for us.

File form T1213 with CRA to reduce the amount of income tax that comes off your paycheck. The amount of tax back is based on your RSP contributions, childcare expenses and a few other things. I use the extra cash to further top up my RSP.

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
Tangerine also has a new credit card that gives cash back, and deposits it into your savings account. I get 2% cash back on any 3 spending categories I choose, and 1% back on everything else. No fees.

young canadian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
Tangerine also has a new credit card that gives cash back, and deposits it into your savings account. I get 2% cash back on any 3 spending categories I choose, and 1% back on everything else. No fees.

Just got this one myself, too! Was on the waiting list for ages...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!