Author Topic: canada selling wedding rings  (Read 2652 times)

Reynolds531

• Bristles
canada selling wedding rings
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
My wife and I separated a few years ago, and I asked for her rings back. Short of hiring a hobbit to toss them in a volcano, has anyone had a good experience selling used jewelry?

Any recommendations for a firm to sell to? I'm in SW Ontario.

Thanks

WhatIsFrugalAfterAll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: canada selling wedding rings
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »
Post on craigslist or classifieds.

If you are lucky you will get 1/4 of their value. Maybe closer to 1/8th.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
Southwest Ontario I would do Kijiji and Craigslist, but also go to forums like this one but for weddings.

Can't think if the names now but there's lots. Frugal bride, wedding bells, etc. post in that forums "classified" section with good pics. You will get people who go on specifically looking for deals and may get half their value.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
Yep, you'll be lucky to get half retail.  I relative of mine found a diamond on a sidewalk (like those in a wedding ring) and retail on it was about $1000.   He went to different jewelers around town and had to fight to get someone to pay him $450 for it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
Purely out of curiosity, I have to ask - why did you ask for the rings back?  You gave them to her when you got married.  Did you have a wedding ring? Did she ask for it back?  And why would you want these reminders sitting wherever they are sitting?

Background - ExDH did not ask for my rings back, I did not ask for his back, and the mediator never suggested it, the rings never came up in all our long tedious financial mediation.  They only showed up as part of my overall jewellery valuation, which was part of the total assets valuation for each of us, and the jeweler valued them at the price of gold plus a small amount for the diamond.  Now they are sitting in a drawer while I decide what to do with them.  Best idea so far, from the appraiser, take the diamond and mount it in a necklace I have.  I will certainly never wear them again as rings.

And if you find a really good place to sell them, let me know ;-)  I am still in debt from the divorce, a little extra money wouldn't hurt.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!