Author Topic: Canada: real estate shopping  (Read 3076 times)

scrubbyfish

Canada: real estate shopping
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »
1. Is there an online listing service that allows us to filter out places that only allow 19+ and 55+ age? Getting fed up with having to scroll through to find those in the small print of so many.

2. Why are they allowed to list houses at $1? And is there an online listing service that allows us to filter for real prices, or starting at $10,000 vs $25,000?

3. Are any of you Canadians buying in other countries? Any Beginner/101 thoughts or leads around that?

Thanks!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Re: Canada: real estate shopping
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
I assume you are looking at renting OR buying.
1. I'm not sure. Maybe on some rental search websites they have this option. I feel your pain. I hate that a lot of the best places are 55+. And I'm childfree, so what's the difference?
2. For buying, the main three I use are: realtor.ca, comfree, and kijiji. All have filtering services that you want.
3. Not me.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Thanks, KMMK :)

For this exercise, just buying. comfree was new to me, and I like it, so thanks!

However, comfree and realtor.ca both let me start at $0 (resulting in joke listings on realtor.ca) OR $25k, but no amount in between. Unless there's a setting option I'm missing??

One day I'd like to do a human rights challenge on the age restrictions. I'm all for quiet and for the concept of neighbourhoods meeting varying needs, but the idea of people being irresponsible and noisy to their 19th or 55th birthday then magically becoming responsible and quiet irks me.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
Thanks, KMMK :)

For this exercise, just buying. comfree was new to me, and I like it, so thanks!

However, comfree and realtor.ca both let me start at $0 (resulting in joke listings on realtor.ca) OR $25k, but no amount in between. Unless there's a setting option I'm missing??

One day I'd like to do a human rights challenge on the age restrictions. I'm all for quiet and for the concept of neighbourhoods meeting varying needs, but the idea of people being irresponsible and noisy to their 19th or 55th birthday then magically becoming responsible and quiet irks me.

Hmm, never noticed too much regarding the $1 except for land. (You are getting houses listed for $1?) But all the properties I've been looking at seriously have been well over the $25,000 so in my case I can just set a higher limit. Are there places under $25,000 where you are looking? Typically when I've found prices lower than that, it's under the rental category, which realtor.ca does give you an option to only show buying properties. Though if you are looking at east coast (and maybe parts of BC (?)) I can see needing the under $25,000 category.

Edited to add: I see what you mean. realtor.ca has a big problem with realtors/assistants not setting up their listings properly; mis-categorizing them. It drives BF crazy; me less so. But it's frustrating when you select Buy, and you get all these rentals, and places missing a list price.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:02:26 PM by KMMK »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:05:09 PM »
(You are getting houses listed for $1?) [...] Are there places under $25,000 where you are looking? [...]

Yeah, realtors are listing huge fancy houses in Toronto, etc, for $1. I'm looking across all of Canada, finding houses and vacant land for under $20k. I'm looking for a low-cost investment primarily, something to flip down the line.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:17:52 PM »
Are there buyers agents in Canada? An MLS listing?

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »
Are there buyers agents in Canada? An MLS listing?

Yes. realtor.ca is all the MLS listings. Definitely buyers agents, but just for initial idle speculating/planning not really needed. An agent will set up your particular search criteria and email you every listing that falls within that criteria. Which is potentially an option for scrubby. They are hoping to eventually get your business so don't charge for this. And it's almost all automated anyhow.

A lot of us are addicted to perusing the real estate listings, whether we are actually looking to purchase or not.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »
An agent will set up your particular search criteria and email you every listing that falls within that criteria.

Yeah, I set myself up with one of those this morning with criteria for buying a home in my Potential Town, but my experience has been that they will lead me to properties only within their work region, so maybe not work for seeking investment property anywhere.