Author Topic: Canada Car Question  (Read 2237 times)

urover

• Stubble
Canada Car Question
« on: July 10, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »
New to Canada's car scene, and looking to buy a new (used) car next month. I commute by subway (TTC), but for most other things, a car is still really needed. I'd have loved to be living a car-less life but it doesn't seem possible here in Etobicoke, GTA.

So, the question is thus: What's a good price to be paying for a used car? In other words, can you buy really cheap cars (3000$) and get away with it (given the weather conditions and its impact on vehicles year-in, year-out), or are you better off buying something more expensive, and less used? Or (gasp) buy a new one?

Also, I'm looking at reliable car brands, but mostly just Toyota. I know Honda's quality has somewhat diluted recently. What's your take on Hyundai/Kia ?

dess1313

• Bristles
Re: Canada Car Question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »
one big thing to watch for in your area is the salt belt effects on cars.  its a heavy salt area in winter time and lots of cars rust to pieces.  also for winter driving consider winter tires they really do make a difference if you get a good pair. 

I'm from manitoba, but there are times you can find some good cars.  its hard to find single owner vehicles or ones that haven't been in accidents.  consider getting a car report on anything you really want to buy.  quebec is bad for not reporting accidents so a quebec car may be clean on a report but still have had a major accident.  we always see those cars coming here to be sold.  ontario also has lots of guys fixing up wrecks and trying to sell them when they've been written off and not cleared to be safe on the road.  i believe market place had a special about it   http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/m/episodes/2009-episodes/the-secret-history-of-cars

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »
Thanks dess1313. I eventually (in Sep) leased a new Toyota Corolla. Planning to keep this one around for as long as possible (buyout after lease).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Yes, you can get a good quality car for $3000-$4000, e.g., low miles, some exterior scratches, but runs well.

Older cars are not quite as reliable, but as you take TTC to earn your money, the once or twice a year that you take it in for routine service or a weird noise / light / etc...   (e.g., not on your personal schedule) will not matter.

Also, if you park outside all winter, that is a bit harder on old cars, too, so be warned to have good battery / tires.