Author Topic: Can you recommend a bra for hot weather  (Read 9042 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Can you recommend a bra for hot weather
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »
I'm soliciting advice for my wife. She spends much time outdoors, here in Florida.
She does have shade and wears a hat, but it is just plain hot.
Everyday she comes home and immediately peels of her clothes and removes her bra.
And them comments how much she hates wearing a bra. Often she then puts a shirt on and
goes back out in the heat to do some other work.
 She's petite, but a bit larger on top than one might expect for her size.
Do you ladies know of a brand, Model, Store that may have something she is more comfortable wearing.
And what characteristics are we looking for.
I'll need to drag her to buy this, she's still quite frugal and usually just buys what's on sale.
 She is to modest to be in public not wearing a bra. I have recommended that already.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Can you recommend a bra for hot weather
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
I wear sports bras (with no underwire) whenever I can, and especially in hot weather. Smartwool has some good options, and they’re available on rei.com, which means if she doesn’t like them, she has a year to return them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »
Is she wearing a regular (underwire) bra in that heat?  That will be unnecessarily uncomfortable with sweating, and might chafe or rub as well. I'd recommend she wear a sports bra instead. Good brands have sweat-wicking fabric that makes being out in the heat much more comfortable. You can get them in normal strap shapes so they won't show under regular t-shirts. For example, I really like this one from Athleta, which comes in "normal" bra colors (light) that also won't show through a t-shirt.  https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=591295012. It's probably more expensive than she's used to paying for, but in my experience Athleta clothing lasts a long time as long as you're careful to never put it in the dryer.

If she isn't actually doing high-impact exercising while wearing them, a "low-impact" or "medium-impact" sports bra will be much better; they are lighter and thinner.  High impact one are thicker and tighter because people usually wear them while running or jumping. 

If she doesn't want to get a sports bra, she should consider getting a real bra fitting from an actual lingerie store (not Victoria Secret). Many women whose bras are very uncomfortable are wearing the wrong size.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
These sites are great for those of us who are somewhat top-heavy but otherwise small (e.g., I have a 29" ribcage and need a size 30 band, which isn't even sold in big chain US stores): https://www.bravissimo.com/, https://www.figleaves.com/us/. Some of the brands on these sites may be available in a good lingerie store. I agree with Bridget that a proper bra fitting is essential.

I'd recommend a non-wired sports bra if she spends a lot of time in the heat, as those are usually designed to wick away sweat. Bravissimo also has more standard underwire options, including lounge bras that I haven't yet tried but look promising.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
Definitely go underwire-free, and there are breathable fabrics even for full coverage options: https://www.health.com/style/cooling-bras

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
I live in Las Vegas and only wear sports bras.  I love Jockey...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
Thanks for the input, I have a bunch of links, I've looked them over and I'm a bit confused, looks to me like
she goes for more support than many of the bras shown have.
 Maybe that's part of why she doesn't like her bras.
She does not have underwire bras.
 I'll let her take a look.
             Thanks

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
Thanks for the input, I have a bunch of links, I've looked them over and I'm a bit confused, looks to me like
             Thanks

I personally find underwires far more supportive, as someone with a large cup size/small band size. But a well-made sports bra will also provide good support.

Then again, it is a huge relief to take off the bra at the end of the day. It's far from my favorite article of clothing. She may dislike any bra.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
             Thanks

Sports bras can give a lot of support, they're just less flattering shape assistance than a full cup bra generally.

Thanks

I personally find underwires far more supportive, as someone with a large cup size/small band size. But a well-made sports bra will also provide good support.

Then again, it is a huge relief to take off the bra at the end of the day. It's far from my favorite article of clothing. She may dislike any bra.

This is also true. Even before my chest filled out and I wore lighter bralettes, it was a relief to take them off after a long day. For adequate support and to prevent shoulder pain, the band needs to be decently snug. So it's kinda no matter what it's nice to take it off!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Can you recommend a bra for hot weather
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
I live in Florida, am a D cup and wear these, which I buy at Walmart. I find them very comfortable.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
+1 to the professional bra fitting, if she hasn't done that yet.  My bras got exponentially more comfortable when I was correctly sized into a G cup when Victoria's Secret had had me "sized" to a DD.

Depending on how large her chest is, it might be a lot more comfortable to have underwire, or whatever is required to keep her breasts separated and lifted off of her abdomen.  Aka doing as much as possible to avoid the dreaded under-boob sweat.  I know when I wear my old (and admittedly cheap) sports bras, there ends up being a lot of skin touching skin and it gets really hot quickly.  (I work outside for my job in the summer in quite hot and humid conditions, so have a lot of experience trying to keep cool.)

Also, it helps a lot to wear the right regular clothing.  I have never once regretted spending the money to buy good sun-protection clothing, like this:  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85994?page=misses-tropicwear-shirt-long-sleeve&bc=12-27-509757&feat=509757-GN2&csp=f   I have two of those shirts and they've held up over probably 200+ wears and are still going strong.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
Sports bras and bras can both get icky. It could be a matter of coming home and switching to and older too beaten up for work bra, or bralette in a soft fabric.

I believe in wearing correctly sized, obscenely expensive bras, and can sleep in then they are so correctly fitted (some weeks of the month). But if it's hot out? Bkechy sweat trap set me free. Like in winter I can happily wear leggings and yoga pants or scrubs after work... But in summer? Hell no, pants must go

Also... In case I missed a key line... Does she want you to crowdsource a bra solution, or does she want you to know that bra life is the worst and you will never know her pain and please comfort?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
Sports bras and bras can both get icky. It could be a matter of coming home and switching to and older too beaten up for work bra, or bralette in a soft fabric.

I believe in wearing correctly sized, obscenely expensive bras, and can sleep in then they are so correctly fitted (some weeks of the month). But if it's hot out? Bkechy sweat trap set me free. Like in winter I can happily wear leggings and yoga pants or scrubs after work... But in summer? Hell no, pants must go

Also... In case I missed a key line... Does she want you to crowdsource a bra solution, or does she want you to know that bra life is the worst and you will never know her pain and please comfort?

+1 This is true. Unless she specifically asked OP, it is also valuable to know: Sometimes there is NO SOLUTION. Have boobs sucks sometimes. Especially big ones, especially in hot weather. Sympathetic noises and encouraging her to buy whatever she might want can sometimes be the best "solution" instead of trying to find a solution per se.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 07:19:53 AM »

Well she hasn't ask me to crowdsource, and I never took it as she was looking for me to comfort her about her
"bra life is the worst and you will never know her pain".
 btw, it was less than 30 seconds after she walked in the house about 6:30 pm last night before she set the girls free. It would have been quicker but she had stuff to unload.
  I mentioned I had been asking about comfortable bras, and had links up on the computer, but she had other
things she wanted to get done so never looked.
  I'll try again tonight.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
It's not cheap, but I'd recommend a good bra fitting.  Breasts come in all different shapes, even within a certain size, so what works for one woman  will be horrible for another.

I recommend she go to a specialty lingerie store (not Victoria's Secret--a real, high end bra store) or, if that isn't available, make an appointment at Nordstrom which caries a wide variety of bra sizes and generally trains their lingerie staff well.  They can help her find bras that work for her shape and size.  I always buy 2 bras at the fitting so that the consultant gets some commission for her time, and then discretely note the brand, style name/number and size of the others and I then price shop for any additional purchases. 

If she is hesitant, I'd probably let it go, but if you are hell bent on fixing her situation for her even though she didn't ask for that, perhaps a gift certificate to an appropriate store would work to convince her to do this.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
The trend in NYC this summer was a fitted, thin, light colored dress and no bra. Witnessed thousands of nipples over the course of 3 months. If it works in the NYC heat, it might be worth a shot in FL.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »
I started wearing these, and no longer own "normal" bras.  I do take the padding out, as I find it annoying (especially when I was nursing.)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU6DHVY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I rarely wear a bra around the house though.  I think that's pretty normal to walk in the door and take it off.  I remember my Aunt's doing that when I was a kid.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »
btw, it was less than 30 seconds after she walked in the house about 6:30 pm last night before she set the girls free. It would have been quicker but she had stuff to unload.

I rarely wear a bra around the house though.  I think that's pretty normal to walk in the door and take it off.  I remember my Aunt's doing that when I was a kid.

Yep, less than 30 seconds to bra-free (especially in hot weather) would be entirely normal for me, too.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
Does she do the same in winter? That makes it more of a bra issue than a hot weather issue. If it's only hot weather, I'd look for some thing more breathable, I lean towards lace or mesh. At some point though the bra can only change so much and you just have to blame the heat and humidity. Boob sweat happens.

If it's an all the time issue bra fitting might help. Every woman is different so I don't know how helpful crowdsourcing will be. My back hurts just thinking about going braless or underwireless. My best bras are all tight around my ribcage, it's not the most comfortable, but the back pain if I wear a less supportive bra is way worse.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »
I pretty much exclusively wear these bandeau-style bralettes with thin straps that I bought at Costco. I think they're Jockey brand? When I need some extra support, I wear something similar to what @pbkmaine posted. They are Gloria Vanderbilt and also purchased at Costco. I'm a large C, and I haven't worn an underwire bra in years. But I dress comfortably and conservatively and am not particularly worried about how I present my breasts to other people.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
another option, when I'm working out inside or doing stuff in back yard I wear a tank with a build in shelf bra. Does NOT provide as much coverage as a real bra, but it feels much more comfortable doing yoga or light activities without weight/constriction of bra and you don't feel unseemly if someone stops by.  I can even sleep in it.
Here's where I get mine (they often have sales). 
https://www.jjill.com/product/perfect-shelf-bra-tank
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:57:18 AM by partgypsy »

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
Bra30 tank top.  Not cheap. 
https://bra30.com/about

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
I personally am not a large chested gal, but my friends who are swear by these. https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/sports-bras-high-impact/
they have different styles depending on your cup size. They also have medium and low impact options as well. They used to be the brand Moving Comfort, but were bought out by Brooks Running

doctorlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
Third Love! Their Classic T-shirt bra is the most comfortable item of clothing I have. I forget I am wearing it. She will have to get the right fit. It's all about the fit. When I run I wear sports bras of course, but they are just too confining and too much pressure for regular day-to-day wear.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
I personally am not a large chested gal, but my friends who are swear by these. https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/sports-bras-high-impact/
they have different styles depending on your cup size. They also have medium and low impact options as well. They used to be the brand Moving Comfort, but were bought out by Brooks Running

I was looking at these brooksrunning and thought, "those look like they could be worn without a shirt", and then I paged up and noticed the lady jogging at the top, in her bra.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
These recommendations are going to vary dramatically depending on size. As someone who spent many years just buying what was on sale and being uncomfortable, getting properly fitted was a revelation. Like others have said, I highly encourage you to take your wife to a nice lingerie store or Nordstroms (do they still have a good lingerie section?) and have her get fitted. Spring for one really good bra.

For someone with a very large cup and a small band, buying quality bras is really expensive, but it's 100% worth it for quality of life and comfort. My favorite bra costs $70. I have occasionally found them on sale for $30, which is when I stock up. And I swear by underwires. Personally, i would never wear sports bras for comfort. To me, sports bras are not comfortable. At my size, their entire purpose is to prevent uncomfortable bouncing, and that is not conducive to lounging.

But as others have said, there are few things that feel better than taking off a restrictive bra at the end of the day. Maybe this is a venting situation and not a "solve my problem" situation.

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Word of caution on bra fittings: even at stores where staff are trained, sizing accuracy is not guaranteed.  I've been given incorrect sizing following fittings on two occasions (once at Nordstroms, and at a smaller, high-end bra store).  I knew these were inaccurate because the sizes they come up with were considerably smaller than I typically wear (36DDD) and I was breastfeeding at the time (and knew my size was considerably larger).  Its actually not difficult to do it home, which I ultimately ended up doing.  breakoutbras.com has a great tutorial on doing this, and a great selection and return policy too.

As a larger-busted lady, I need an underwire bra (and find them less hot too because they keep the girls separated better).  Taking it off ASAP at the end of the day is typical for me.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
Word of caution on bra fittings: even at stores where staff are trained, sizing accuracy is not guaranteed.

Good point! Despite recommending it, I've also had (many) bad fittings. Especially at stores that don't go above a DD and will try to cram you into sizes they do carry.  The ABraThatFits subreddit is also a good resource.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
Word of caution on bra fittings: even at stores where staff are trained, sizing accuracy is not guaranteed.

Good point! Despite recommending it, I've also had (many) bad fittings. Especially at stores that don't go above a DD and will try to cram you into sizes they do carry.

Like a certain very pink mall store? No luck there if you have a band size smaller than 32 or cup size larger than DD, although they're all too happy to sell you something for $50 either way.

ejmyrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »
OM GAIA TREE!!! I think I have a similar build to your wife. They are so comfortable!! https://omgaiatree.com/collections/accessories/accessories

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
OK, I think this is starting to get a little weird, my history is showing a lot of pictures of women wearing bras!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.*
I'll try one more time to get my wife to look at this thread, if she doesn't I'll just give up and enjoy the show when the girls get set free for the evening.
  We are in a smaller city and when I did a search for a Bra Fitting specialist, I get places like Dillard's, Lane Bryant, Bealls, JC Penney, and Soma Intimates, all except Soma Intimates, seem like you you will get a sales
associate and if you are lucky they may have a little special training.
Soma Intimates looks like they might consider fittings as their job. (50 miles from home.)
  I did find this page, which from my technical way of thinking, is pretty good.
https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/how-to-choose-bras#1
 Critic of the data presented in that website welcomed, I don't want her to go, get sized and sold a proper bra, but then have no idea how to buy a second bra on her own.                     

* A reference to a Seinfeld episode.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 12:23:15 PM »
 Critic of the data presented in that website welcomed, I don't want her to go, get sized and sold a proper bra, but then have no idea how to buy a second bra on her own.                     

Yeah, that fitting information is good. I have a tiny frame with a 29" ribcage and used to wear a size 34 band according to the old system (ribcage + 4 inches). The bands were always loose and I now have permanent divots in my collarbones from wearing a too large band/too small cup while I was still growing—I had to tighten the straps to the point of pain to get support.

I switched to the new system (ribcage = band size) about 10 years ago and have never looked back. It means a larger cup size so that the center gore sits where it should with no overflow. It also means having to order bras online because US stores don't carry size 30 bands (size 28 bands are even harder to find). However, I have so much less back pain and my clothes look and fit better.

That said, I still don't enjoy wearing a bra and it still comes off fairly early at night. It's like shoes; you have to wear them, but even if they're high-quality and comfortable, it's still nice to take them off when you can.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »
OK, I think this is starting to get a little weird, my history is showing a lot of pictures of women wearing bras!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.*
I'll try one more time to get my wife to look at this thread, if she doesn't I'll just give up and enjoy the show when the girls get set free for the evening.
  We are in a smaller city and when I did a search for a Bra Fitting specialist, I get places like Dillard's, Lane Bryant, Bealls, JC Penney, and Soma Intimates, all except Soma Intimates, seem like you you will get a sales
associate and if you are lucky they may have a little special training.
Soma Intimates looks like they might consider fittings as their job. (50 miles from home.)

* A reference to a Seinfeld episode.

The thing is that bras are not like mean's pants, for example, where once you know your size, 97% of pants in that size will fit you. 

Really, in order to get a proper fit (and especially if she has a larger bust), she probably will need to be refitted after an weight gain or loss of more than 10 pounds (maybe less), and every few years because even if her weight stays the same, things shift and gravity does it's thing.  It's just not something where you get the perfect bra and that's it forever.  That's not how it works.  Buying a second bra on her own should either be done as part of that fitting, or should be one she find during the fitting and then locates (exactly the sam bra!) elsewhere.  So I think you are looking for a solution that in some ways doesn't exist.

And while a fit specialist who knows her stuff will explain the basics, I still do much better when an expert points out that the sides of the underwire on that bra don't quite capture all the breast tissue on the side, for example.  (That's not something that a different saize will fix, generally.  It means that bra just isn't cut like my body is shaped.)  There are the basics that many people get wrong, like the band is too large and is consequently riding up too high in the back.  Or the cups are too small and tissues is spilling out over the top (think muffin top for breasts) or the center piece doesn't lay against the body because the cups are too small.  Those are fixable and mostly identifiable on one's own.  Other nuances aren't.  At best, she could literally try on dozens of bras and not find the right one on her own.  Another thing the specialists are good for is knowing their inventory.  They can look and make a very good guess at size (both the classic and new methods listed are at best very loose starting points), and also assess shape and know what bra is best for a fuller bust (not the same as a larger cup size) or for a wider set bust, or....  It's not like a men's dress shirt where they measure your neck and sleeve length and you know your size.  It's far, far more nuanced than that. 

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
Yep. The same size is not the same in all brands. And it's not just because the size is actually different. The cups might be deeper in one brand and wider in another, or set closer together or farther apart. Straps are set differently.  I have a problem where underwires go too far into my armpits in a lot of brands.

I'd say of the places you mentioned, Soma is the the most likely to have a fitter who knows how to fit. But, they only sell their brand so they'll probably try to fit you the best with what thay have. Soma bras fit me great 10 years ago, but I've aged and lost a lot of weight and they just don't work for me anymore. Ideally, you would have access to a store that carries mutiple brands and styles where there is someone who is properly trained. That can be difficult if you're not in a major city.

As an aside, my mom is a AA and she loves the ribcage +4 method. The level of support she needs is vastly different from what I do.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
I got sick and tired of bras 10 years ago.  I hate everything about them.  What I do now is buy soft, stretchy, seamless bralettes with no hooks and a bottom band at least an inch wide. Buy them in at least a size larger than the sizing guide will suggest. If it feels tight, it's too small....the opposite of what a bra fitter would tell you.  The drawback is that the soft band will then bunch up under your breasts in an annoying fashion as you move about.  But you can fix this, with a sewing machine, or a few stitches by hand and it just takes a few minutes to do:

Find a soft stretchy bralette that feels great when you try it on and fits the girls well.  I love the Hanes Bandini bras and they are dirt cheap...about $12 for a 2-pack.  They are somewhat inconsistent on band width, so you just have to look through the selection to find ones that have a one-inch wide band (some have a half-inch band...skip those).

Buy some 1 inch no-roll elastic - measure your rib cage using the elastic.  Cut to size.  The elastic should fit around your rib cage without digging in at all.

Cut a small slit in the outside layer of the bra hem, in the center front.  Insert the elastic and work it all the way in so that it is fully inside the hem, and is not twisted.  This will take a bit of patience, but you can do it. 

Stitch the elastic vertically on either side of the slit, and vertically again in the center back.   This way it will be anchored to the bra in three places to prevent twisting.  But otherwise, it 'floats' inside the band.   Since the elastic will be longer than the bra band (while it's not being worn), you want to make sure that center back stitching is done right in the middle of the length of elastic.  When you put the bra on, the elastic should lay flat and smooth within the stretched fabric and leave no indentation in the flesh.

Now you have all the soft, stretchy goodness of a bralette, and a band that will lay flat and stay in place WITHOUT BEING TIGHT.  The bra will look a bit funny when not being worn because the elastic will be longer than the bra band fabric.  But put it on, and it's COMFORTABLE, it actually feels good to wear.  I never feel the desire to take it off until bedtime, and no woman hates bras more than me.  It's like the difference between a vice grip, and a gentle hug from a dear friend.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 03:28:59 AM »
I got sick and tired of bras 10 years ago.  I hate everything about them.  What I do now is buy soft, stretchy, seamless bralettes with no hooks and a bottom band at least an inch wide. Buy them in at least a size larger than the sizing guide will suggest. If it feels tight, it's too small....the opposite of what a bra fitter would tell you.  The drawback is that the soft band will then bunch up under your breasts in an annoying fashion as you move about.  But you can fix this, with a sewing machine, or a few stitches by hand and it just takes a few minutes to do:

Find a soft stretchy bralette that feels great when you try it on and fits the girls well.  I love the Hanes Bandini bras and they are dirt cheap...about $12 for a 2-pack.  They are somewhat inconsistent on band width, so you just have to look through the selection to find ones that have a one-inch wide band (some have a half-inch band...skip those).

Buy some 1 inch no-roll elastic - measure your rib cage using the elastic.  Cut to size.  The elastic should fit around your rib cage without digging in at all.

Cut a small slit in the outside layer of the bra hem, in the center front.  Insert the elastic and work it all the way in so that it is fully inside the hem, and is not twisted.  This will take a bit of patience, but you can do it. 

Stitch the elastic vertically on either side of the slit, and vertically again in the center back.   This way it will be anchored to the bra in three places to prevent twisting.  But otherwise, it 'floats' inside the band.   Since the elastic will be longer than the bra band (while it's not being worn), you want to make sure that center back stitching is done right in the middle of the length of elastic.  When you put the bra on, the elastic should lay flat and smooth within the stretched fabric and leave no indentation in the flesh.

Now you have all the soft, stretchy goodness of a bralette, and a band that will lay flat and stay in place WITHOUT BEING TIGHT.  The bra will look a bit funny when not being worn because the elastic will be longer than the bra band fabric.  But put it on, and it's COMFORTABLE, it actually feels good to wear.  I never feel the desire to take it off until bedtime, and no woman hates bras more than me.  It's like the difference between a vice grip, and a gentle hug from a dear friend.

As someone with very large breasts, while this is appealing, there is no way it would be anywhere near enough support for me.  If a bra isn't made of basically chicken wire and rebar, it's no match for what I'm asking of it!

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »

As someone with very large breasts, while this is appealing, there is no way it would be anywhere near enough support for me.  If a bra isn't made of basically chicken wire and rebar, it's no match for what I'm asking of it!

+1000

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »

+1000

+2000

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
Chicken wire sounds like it would allow for pretty good air circulation!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:47:18 PM by neophyte »

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »
LOL - to each her own I guess.  Mine are big too, and while this doesn't exactly point them at the moon or wrap them around my ears, it provides enough support for me.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 10:11:25 PM »
LOL - to each her own I guess.  Mine are big too, and while this doesn't exactly point them at the moon or wrap them around my ears, it provides enough support for me.

I think "big" is a relative term.  Mine are big enough (GG) that if they aren't super lifted (and actually, even if they are, but less so) I get rashes underneath them.  I have constant back pain, and a great, supportive bra lessens that.  if they are bouncy, it's painful.  It's definitely not about the aesthetics of having them look perky or like they are "wrapped around my ears".  It's about preventing pain. 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 12:58:25 AM »
if they are bouncy, it's painful.   
This is essentially what my sister told me when I asked her how I'd know for sure that I needed a bra. Run up the stairs and if it hurts, you definitely should be wearing one. LOL

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »

I think "big" is a relative term.  Mine are big enough (GG) that if they aren't super lifted (and actually, even if they are, but less so) I get rashes underneath them.  I have constant back pain, and a great, supportive bra lessens that.  if they are bouncy, it's painful.  It's definitely not about the aesthetics of having them look perky or like they are "wrapped around my ears".  It's about preventing pain.

Yep. Mine are FF with a band size of 30, so they’re disproportionately large on a small frame (thanks, genetics in mom’s family). My upper back pain decreased after a weight loss caused me to drop two cup sizes (from a GG) but I still need plenty of support.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
I live in Florida, am a D cup and wear these, which I buy at Walmart. I find them very comfortable.

I have these! I call them my grandma/"at-home" bras lol. They are passable shape-wise to wear during the day, but for me they don't quite provide the lift and shape I desire. However I love them because they naturally separate the boobs - the average sports bra will mush your boobs together and it just creates even more sweat and nastiness. I am a 34DD/DDD for reference.

I personally would avoid the average sports bra and definitely look for something that has separate cups. I also recommend a store like Nordstrom Rack where they have lots of different bras/brands/styles so you can pick something that works.

Also for all ladies, the "swoop and scoop" method was life-changing for me. I think there is a Reddit forum called "a bra that fits" or similar where they have lots of specific advice and measuring guidelines to help you find the right bra. I used to squish myself into a C cup and wondered why I was always miserable...

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
if they are bouncy, it's painful.   
This is essentially what my sister told me when I asked her how I'd know for sure that I needed a bra. Run up the stairs and if it hurts, you definitely should be wearing one. LOL

Mine used to hurt like heck whenever I wasn't wearing bra, back when I wore a traditional bra.  I would have to hold them up with my arms just to walk from the bathroom to bed at night after de-bra-ing because of it.  But after wearing the bralettes I described above consistently for just a week or so, that totally stopped, and I've never had any breast pain since.  I believe they healed because I stopped abusing them.  And it's not like there's zero support.....just not total and complete immobilization.  I think it's healthy to allow a little bit of movement.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 06:41:42 PM »
If you can see and are able to go to Hamilton, Ontario (or take a class on whatever Craftsy is called now), I highly recommend bra makers supply.  A class there would be worth the travel.

She is an expert at fitting women, is large breasted herself, so designs for support, and making your own bra is a huge savings compared to expensive brands larger women tend to need for support. (no savings for small women like me who buy bras for under $10.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!