Author Topic: Can you monetize Facebook wall posts?  (Read 2901 times)

Da Man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Can you monetize Facebook wall posts?
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:11:32 AM »
According to some people (like Jacob), as long as you are able to do something that other people enjoy, you can probably find a way to get paid for it. So I was thinking about this, and I got to wondering about whether or not I could monetize my ability to post interesting links.

A lot of my friends say that the links and articles I post on my Facebook wall is really interesting. Even acquaintances that I haven't talked to in years would message me out of the blue and thank me for it. I know this is probably something that a lot of people are good at, but gosh darn it I'd really like to think of a creative way to make some cash. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to monetize this!

Do you guys have any creative ideas as to how to monetize this "skill" (if you can call it that) or maybe this is a dead end?

cowstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Can you monetize Facebook wall posts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:30:40 AM »
One way to make some money would be to (occasionally) recommend items that have affiliate links, like Amazon for example. If you have a good eye for cool stuff and your friends see what you're posting as useful, you could make a few bucks that way. I think Kevin Kelly does this well with his Cool Tools blog, but that's him curating things that he knows that like-minded people would also think are neat and he makes a little bit when they go out and buy them as well.

I would say otherwise you'd have a hard time hitting up friends for money to provide a curating service that they can probably find elsewhere for free (plus Facebook doesn't have a way to charge for people to read your wall posts).

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:12:46 AM »
Not sure you can do it on Facebook, but you can do this on Twitter. I know there are companies that pay you to post interesting links/content.

Check out http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-get-paid-for-your-time-on-twitter and http://paidpertweet.com/. I'm sure there are more options if you do a little more research.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:21 AM »
It's essentially becoming a "content" creator for things like buzzfeed or cracked. The ability to find interesting links is less the skill and you would have to develop writing ability and be able to craft a story or theme around the links.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »
It's essentially becoming a "content" creator for things like buzzfeed or cracked. The ability to find interesting links is less the skill and you would have to develop writing ability and be able to craft a story or theme around the links.

This.  The geekologie guy is a pretty humorous writer (for a certain sense of humor) on top of interesting links.

But essentially you could set up your own link content service/website.  The tweets/wall posts would direct them to your site, which would direct them to the third-party link.

Probably not a ton of money in it, unless you became really good at it/popular, but that's totally possible.  I do think you have to have the writing ability to give each link a solid paragraph, and not just have a ton of random links ala Fark or something.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.