Author Topic: Can you do anything with scratched glasses?  (Read 7375 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Can you do anything with scratched glasses?
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:48:20 PM »
Mine are good other than being scratched up and they're starting to give me eye strain. I think they're anti reflective coated.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Can you do anything with scratched glasses?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
I would just replace. Clear vision and no eye strain is worth more than saving a few bucks, or even a few hundred.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:37 PM »
I tried ordering glasses online before. Bought two pairs from zenni and I ended up with more eyestrain than the scratched glasses even though I had my full prescription and all the bells and whistles.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
Have you enquired about replacing the lenses?

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
I tried ordering glasses online before. Bought two pairs from zenni and I ended up with more eyestrain than the scratched glasses even though I had my full prescription and all the bells and whistles.

Wow.  I'm wearing my 6-year old glasses from Zenni right now and they are as good as the day I bought them!  I hope that doesn't mean their quality has decreased.  I've been thinking about getting another pair.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
No, I haven't talked to them about it, it was a long time ago, I just kinda put them off to the side and wrote it off as a bad decision.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
I've liked the Warby Parker and Glasses.com frames and lenses I've gotten. Usually around $200 or less for my pretty strong Rx for nearsightedness.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
I wear progressives and get transitions as well, so my lenses are pretty expensive.

I change out my lenses (keep the frames) at replacealens.com.  They are a very dependable, reliable lab and I highly reccomend them (have used them a number of times).  Of course, you need a current prescription...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »
Eye strain is more a symptom of wrong prescription. When was the last time your eyes were checked?

I believe that you can remove many of the coatings, which may eliminate or reduce the scratching.

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »
If they are giving you eyestrain you probably need a new RX.  Get a written prescription and order online.  The only thing you need to measure yourself is pupil distance.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
Keep in mind that many medical plans offer free preventative care eye exams with prescription; however, it is not required for ACA. 

(My insurance has this offering, but screwed me on it because I was referred for a migraine issue, so there was a medical reason for the visits as long as I stayed at that doctor.  I changed doctors and started getting free exams.)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 08:52:43 PM »
I find that the reflective coatings "break up" when I have them. My optometrist told me it was probably a reaction between my sweat and the coating, and that is a problem for some people. I suggest you don't get the reflective coating in your next glasses.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 11:17:27 AM »
It's not "breaking up" it's getting scratched.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »

No, it fogs.  Nothing to do with scratches.  I've had that happen with 2 pairs of glasses.  Both times, the optometrist has had them replaced at no charge to me.   A few years ago, they were really having trouble with anti-reflective coatings, and they would fog after a year or so.  Haven't had that happen lately though.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »

Wow.  I'm wearing my 6-year old glasses from Zenni right now and they are as good as the day I bought them!  I hope that doesn't mean their quality has decreased.  I've been thinking about getting another pair.
I bought several pairs recently, and they're just as good as ever :) 

No, it fogs.  Nothing to do with scratches.  I've had that happen with 2 pairs of glasses.  Both times, the optometrist has had them replaced at no charge to me.   A few years ago, they were really having trouble with anti-reflective coatings, and they would fog after a year or so.  Haven't had that happen lately though.
I haven't experienced that exactly, but I have gotten away from AR coatings, as they're hard to clean and just generally seem to cause more trouble than they're worth.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »
Have you enquired about replacing the lenses?

This. The cost of new glasses is something like 80% frames and 20% lenses. If you like your frames, take them back to the optometrist and ask for your lenses to be updated.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »

I get exactly this with anti reflective coatings, and I am super careful about cleaning them with approved cloth/solution.  I've decided I don't like the anti reflective stuff.   BUT... check and see if whomever you bought it from has a guarantee on the coating.  Some do.  And if you find a miracle cure to polish that crap off in a usable manner, LET US KNOW!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
My optometrist said that it was not scratched. He said my sweat was reacting with it and breaking it up. He also said that the coating was hard so it wouldn't scratch (whether you believe him or not). The lens sellers make a point that the coating helps to reduce scratching.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!