Author Topic: Can this new *job away from home* work long term?  (Read 2458 times)

soulrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Can this new *job away from home* work long term?
« on: May 24, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »
Hello mustachians,

I am here looking for some advice!

I work in health care and have recently quit my job due to feelings of burnout, too many hours, no vacation time, and feeling like I was taken advantage of financially. I have become an independent contractor and have been working short term gigs (one week each) in different cities that need my help (sort of like travel nursing). Pay is much better (nearly twice as my previous hourly rate) which will allow me to cut down the number of days I work per month.

On my old job I worked approximately 18-20 days per month and now am working 14 days per month with plans to cut down to 7 days per month in 2020.

A little background info:

Both my wife and I are in our early to mid 30s. Currently I am the main bread winner for our family. We are going through IVF and fertility treatments to try to increase our family.

The main disadvantage of my current work situation is that I have to travel for work. I have chosen to work 2 weeks a month in 2019 to help us pay for IVF but I intend to drop it to 7 days a month in 2020 - and when I account for travel time, I will be away from home 9 days a month.

For those of you with spouses and little kids at home - do you think this is something that can potentially work long term? Would you be able to be away from your kid for 9 days a month if it meant you could be with them, free of any other responsibility, for the other 21 days?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Can this new *job away from home* work long term?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Absolutely it’s doable. Military people are gone much longer.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
I have a friend who did that for at least a full year.  She was a nurse with 2 kids - one elementary, one preschool.  She worked 1 week every month in a different city.  Flew back and forth.  Was home for the next 3 weeks.

(Difference is her husband had a full time job also, but he managed while she was gone.)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
Question: will DW work after next progeny? If not, how about this: get an economical travel trailer. Have the advantage of higher pay, low expenses, and the fam is with you. 

soulrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »
Question: will DW work after next progeny? If not, how about this: get an economical travel trailer. Have the advantage of higher pay, low expenses, and the fam is with you.

She will probably work to some capacity but would be part time and she will work on the days I am home. I love the idea of the travel trailer. I'll definitely look into that!

StacheDash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
I have a 23 month old child. Being away for 9 days and home for 21 days sounds fantastic. I work Sun-Thurs most weeks with an occasional Friday and/or Saturday thrown in, and I can really start missing our quality time if I work too many days I a row. 21 straight days to spend with my kid would be awesome. I would anticipate some tough transitions between the leaving and arriving times, but I think all the extra time at home would make up for that.

soulrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 03:26:36 PM »
I have a 23 month old child. Being away for 9 days and home for 21 days sounds fantastic. I work Sun-Thurs most weeks with an occasional Friday and/or Saturday thrown in, and I can really start missing our quality time if I work too many days I a row. 21 straight days to spend with my kid would be awesome. I would anticipate some tough transitions between the leaving and arriving times, but I think all the extra time at home would make up for that.

thank you for your input!!!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
As a 1099 employee are you buying your own insurance? The glaring thing I see here is that if your DW gets pregnant you are going to need insurance...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:48:06 AM »

soulrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
As a 1099 employee are you buying your own insurance? The glaring thing I see here is that if your DW gets pregnant you are going to need insurance...

yes, we are set on insurance (we buy our own).

soulrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!