Author Topic: Can Pandora substitute for Sirius XM?  (Read 5600 times)

Alex in Virginia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Can Pandora substitute for Sirius XM?
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Do you know?

I listen all day to classical music on Sirius XM through my computer.  All in, it probably costs me $10 a month.  For that, I get a nice variety of classical music with no commercials to distract me.  Can Pandora match that?  For free?

UPDATE: HOLY SHIT!  Let me answer my own question.  It's great.  Took me all of 30 seconds to get set up.  GREAT sound fidelity.  The ads are on screen, like any other website, so I won't see them if I've got the Pandora web page mimized or backgrounded.  And I don't think there are any disc jockeys blabbering away between pieces, either.  It's gonna be "Goodbye, Sirius and your monthly fee"!

CORRECTION: OK, they do run a "voice" commercial once in a while, but they don't seem too long or disruptive... and they only run ONE commercial before going back to the music (unlike standard commercial stations and their long strings of yapping ad announcers).  I'm still good with switching to Pandora.

Alex in Virginia
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:28:10 AM by Alex in Virginia »

icefr

• Bristles
Re: Can Pandora substitute for Sirius XM?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
I absolutely LOVE Pandora! There is an app on my TV, on my phone, and I use the webpage as well. I don't buy any music thanks to Pandora.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »
Just don't get addicted to Pandora on your phone unless you're always around WiFi... the increased cost of data usage will more than negate any savings you've had by dropping Sirius XM.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
I never would have considered listening to Sirius for music alone. XM's sports packages have tempted me at times, but for music I'm more than happy with Pandora (and the regular radio).

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
I had just started playing around with the Pandora app on my new TV today and saw this post.

Not sure how much I will use it going forward as I still like to listen to entire albums.  But I think it will be a good way to get exposed to artists I haven't heard of before.

I'm lucky in that the area library systems around here are real good.  I listen to a lot of Americana and Indie Rock, and I can normally find the albums I want on the libraries' websites.  Then I just reserve them online and pick them all up at one branch when ready. 

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
I love Pandora.  If you have a decent data plan, it's also a good direct satellite radio replacement in the car.  On my short commute it's great. 

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
Want some real mixes? 8tracks.com

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
I like slacker more but everyone's different lol

I use tunein as well