Author Topic: Can I fight an ER bill?  (Read 2053 times)

MMHubb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Can I fight an ER bill?
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »
Hi Friends,

I need advice regarding multiple bills I've been receiving from an ER visit earlier this month.
Here's the background:
My health insurance lapsed (long story here that I won't get into, but I am now covered) and of course, in that short time frame, I needed to go to the ER.
I will try to spare you the details, but I had a HORRIBLE experience and the reason I went in was neither solved nor corrected during my visit. AKA a big waste of time, and money.
Now here is the situation:
Hospital bill-$1500 for lab work, a special test I needed, the room
Bill #2 from a third party billing company-$100 for the radiologist that read my "special test"
Bill #3 again third party-$1000 for the doctor that "treated" me. This bill infuriates me the most because the care I received was atrocious.

Hopefully there are no more of these suckers in the mail!
So far I got Bill #2 down to $50 so that one is now paid off, but does anyone have any advice for the others? Are there any secrets to negotiating my bills down??

I'd love any advice! Thank you!

luminajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Can I fight an ER bill?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
Whether you feel like you were treated or not, they can still charge for services rendered.  You can call and ask if there is a self pay discount or discount for paying in full, but I would be surprised if they decrease your bill just because you didn't have a good experience.

GetSmart

• Stubble
Re: Can I fight an ER bill?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
At my local hospital they will give you a discount if you just show up in person to pay the bill !  You could try it and see what happens.  Sometimes they are able to recode things in order to reduce the price especially for non-insured people - at least it used to be that way.  Not sure how it is now.