Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good portable bicycle pump?  (Read 7569 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Can anyone recommend a good portable bicycle pump?
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent portable bicycle pump that they use?  Something I could strap to my bike that would be small and light, so I could inflate my tires quickly if I get a flat.  I'm trying to find something relatively inexpensive too, because I hate spending money, even on necessities.

Barnaby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Can anyone recommend a good portable bicycle pump?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
I have two pumps I bought on Amazon. One is a topeak pocket rocket master blaster (seriously) that was $15 and works well even at high pressures for my road bike. The other is the cheapest schwin and it works fine for a mountain bike. They both came with nice mounts.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »
Topeak Road Morph.   Not particularly cheap, but well made and very long lasting.   Easily able to get up to 110psi, if you want that kind of pressure.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:46:01 PM by abiteveryday »

fullpampers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
I have the filzer mini-zee pump. The one without the gauge. Wasn't really pricy, is small, and I can get my 700x23 tires to a pretty high pressure with it.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »
Topeak Road Morph.   Not particularly cheap, but well made and very long lasting.   Easily able to get up to 110psi, if you want that kind of pressure.
+1

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
+1

Yep. That's the one.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
If you want a good, portable, lightweight and small pump that sits discretely on the frame (takes a water bottle holder spot or you could just slip it into your commuter bag/pannier/trunk bag, that also has a gauge option (separate purchase), consider the Lezyne Medium Pump - http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-pressdrive.php#.VZ_r_vlVhBc

It's not the cheapest thing out there but in my experience you sorta get what you pay for with bike pumps... the ABS pen gauge (to show you PSI/Bar) is is an extra cost at around $20-25

It ended up being just over $60 for me for both.

It's not the most Mustachian purchase but in the context and justification of using my bike for commuting, in the long-run I think it's a good investment.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:04:00 AM by jplee3 »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
I have two pumps I bought on Amazon. One is a topeak pocket rocket master blaster (seriously) that was $15 and works well even at high pressures for my road bike. The other is the cheapest schwin and it works fine for a mountain bike. They both came with nice mounts.

I have the topeak one and I find it's hard to get terribly high psi. But it's enough to get it rideable.

Invest a little $ in anti-flat tires (e.g. GatorSkins or Schwalbe Marathons for two excellent choices) and you'll almost never use the small pump, just a bigger one with a gauge to top off the tires as needed.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent portable bicycle pump that they use?  Something I could strap to my bike that would be small and light, so I could inflate my tires quickly if I get a flat.  I'm trying to find something relatively inexpensive too, because I hate spending money, even on necessities.

My theory is that flats don't/shouldn't occur too often. Therefore, the frame pump should be light, small, and cheap. I personally don't care about the ease of pumping to 110psi or whatever quite as much - I just need to pump it up enough to get me home.

http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Sport-Drive-Hand-Pump/dp/B008R5MEZ4

http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Germany-10367-Supershort-Mini-Pump/dp/B0030IC24Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1436550563&sr=1-1&keywords=sks+supershort

I personally chose the Lezyne over the SKS due to the flexible tubing (if you botch the valve while pumping then you're really not getting home):

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
If you want a full-size pump that mounts on the frame itself, the Zefal HPX is very good. It can't fit in a pocket, though. It handles both Presta and Schraeder valves and can pump a tire to 110 or 120 lbs. It's metal and very durable. I've had one for years.

man_is_obsolete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
It's not the most Mustachian purchase...

I think any bike accessory is a Mustachian purchase :)

My only bike pump for 7 years was a Topeak Road Morph G. A couple parts on it broke, but were easily fixable with epoxy and wire (respectively).
I lost the Topeack and bought a SKS SuperShort mini for its tiny size and an endorsement from Rivendell Bikes. Haven't used it for long, but I like it so far. Its max is ~87psi.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
It's not the most Mustachian purchase...

I think any bike accessory is a Mustachian purchase :)

My only bike pump for 7 years was a Topeak Road Morph G. A couple parts on it broke, but were easily fixable with epoxy and wire (respectively).
I lost the Topeack and bought a SKS SuperShort mini for its tiny size and an endorsement from Rivendell Bikes. Haven't used it for long, but I like it so far. Its max is ~87psi.

Assuming you ride the bike LOL!

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 06:59:22 PM »
I'm extremely happy with my Lezyne Micro Drive pump. It's expensive (~$50), but has a little flip-down foot-hold so it operates like a floor pump. It also has an in-line pressure gauge. I can't use the super compact ones that rely on repeated reps from your arms. They're OK for a lot of men, but as a small woman with little upper body endurance, I can not inflate a road bike tire to a rideable pressure without the leverage this little pump provides. Since it operates like a floor pump, I can use downward pressure of my whole body to push the air into the tire. The only downside is that the pump handle is small and will dig in to your palm, so I wad up my cycling glove to help relieve the pressure. This is the only frame-mounted pump that works for me. Expensive, but worth it!

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 02:39:06 AM »
I was intrigued/appalled to see that my young cycle-mad nephew has a CO2 device which takes tiny canisters like you used to see on a soda siphon.  Very quick, tiny to carry but must be pretty Antimustachian!

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »
I was intrigued/appalled to see that my young cycle-mad nephew has a CO2 device which takes tiny canisters like you used to see on a soda siphon.  Very quick, tiny to carry but must be pretty Antimustachian!

These are good to carry, but as an alternate method only, IMO. You need to practice with them, because once you breach the seal, you have one chance to get it right (well, one chance times how many CO2 cartridges you're carrying). They're super fast and easy to inflate your tire, but I'd never roll with CO2 as my sole flat tire insurance. With the addition of a manual pump, you won't be stranded by the side of the road.

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Sport-Drive-Hand-Pump/dp/B008R5MEZ4

I personally chose the Lezyne over the SKS due to the flexible tubing (if you botch the valve while pumping then you're really not getting home):

I also have the Lezyne sport drive (they sell at REI, too, if you have a coupon or of course the usual 10% member dividend). I love the tubing to connect to the bike. For infrequent/emergency use it's great and is small enough to fit into my saddle bag. See also this outrageously comprehensive set of reviews:
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-patch-kit/

They recommend the version of this pump that costs twice as much, but I think the sport drive is almost as good.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »
Not that Topeak and Leyzne and the other suggestions aren't above average, they certainly are, but I've never found a pump, no matter how cheap, that didn't successfully inflate presta and schrader tubes.
Any pump small enough to take with you is gonna take some time (for a big mnt tire) and/or effort (for a high pressure road tire) to use, and the smaller it is, the more that's true.
If you use it on both types of valves, then a dual valve head (or smart head that adapts itself) is nice.  Unless you use both valves often, any pump will do (they all can be switched to either mode)

Get whatever is convenient and affordable.  Chances are you'll lose it before it breaks

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
Topeak Morph. (there are a number of versions)

I bought one about a decade ago and it's still going strong. The selling points for the Morph are the handle and foot rest that fold out, making it, effectively, a small floor pump. So much easier than a lot of hand pumps and I don't even bother owning another pump for home use - the Morph is good enough. (minimalist and all)

Coincidentally, mine has a digital gauge, though I gather they don't offer one with that anymore.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
I have the filzer mini-zee pump. The one without the gauge. Wasn't really pricy, is small, and I can get my 700x23 tires to a pretty high pressure with it.

I've been using a filzer mini-zee with the gauge for four years.  It's a great pump for a road bike, very easy to use, reasonably light, pumps up 80 - 100 psi without too much effort.