Author Topic: Can anyone help with my Microsoft Outlook screw up?  (Read 4406 times)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Can anyone help with my Microsoft Outlook screw up?
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
Shit.  I use Outlook, IMAP linked through a gmail account at work.  This morning I went to expand my Gmail folder (see attachement), and instead of expanding it, accidentally dragged it into my Junk Mail folder.  (screen shot attached)  45 minutes later, my Outlook finally stopped running the process.  I tried Ctrl Z to undo, but that didn't work.  When putting my Gmail folder back to it's place, I've lost all my sub folders, specifically Sent and Spam.  The spam is not that important, although I'd like it, but I absolutely need to access my Sent items. 

I went to my Outlook Account Settings and in the Advanced area re-created the Sent folder, but it now only contains messages sent today and no past messages.  I've been googling around most of the morning trying to fix this without success, so now I'm appealing to you fine folks.  My gmail web account does still have the Sent Folder, and now I also have another Sent folder with items sent today. (screen shot attached)

If anyone has any ideas for me on how I can get Outlook to read and pull the data from the original Sent folder in Gmail, I will be forever in your debt.

If I can answer any questions or explain something better, let me know.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:39:54 PM by Eric »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: Can anyone help with my Microsoft Outlook screw up?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
You're saying that the Sent email messages cannot be found, or just aren't properly tagged as Sent?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
In Outlook, I have no access to any sent messages prior to today.  I can access them through gmail.  My goal is to get Outlook to read that Sent Mail folder in gmail and re-populate all of my past sent messages.

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
If everything is still normal and in its proper place when you log in via gmail,
then maybe you can just remove it as an IMAP account in outlook and re-add it?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
If everything is still normal and in its proper place when you log in via gmail,

Thanks, that's the strange part to me.  Since I couldn't find the Sent folder (sub folder of Gmail) after pulling my Gmail over folder back from the Junk Mail folder, I thought I could just re-add as well.  That's how I ended up with 2 Sent folders in Gmail, and one in Outlook. 

Do you think I can delete the new Sent folder in Outlook and then re-add as the original Sent folder (with all past sent messages)?  And if so, how do I get Outlook to recognize the original Sent Mail folder?  When I go into the Account Settings, Advanced Settings for the Sent tab, I couldn't find any reference to a Sent Folder this morning, which is why I thought creating a new one (with the same name) would be the answer, but it's not.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
Somehow my screenshot of my Outlook file wasn't attached to the first post.  I've added that now, just in case it helps, which it probably doesn't.  Unless you want to commiserate with how easy it was to completely screw myself over.  :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
Update:  I think I've fixed this, well, enough for now.

In the Account Settings, More Settings, Advanced tab, there's a box called Root Folder Path.  What I did was change that to "Inbox", which moved everything under my Inbox folder.  Then I went in and changed it back to a blank field.  This created a duplicate Gmail path that now has my sent folder.  It's still a little screwy, but at least I have quick access to my past sent emails so I can work with it.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and/or reply

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »

Thanks, that's the strange part to me.  Since I couldn't find the Sent folder (sub folder of Gmail) after pulling my Gmail over folder back from the Junk Mail folder, I thought I could just re-add as well.  That's how I ended up with 2 Sent folders in Gmail, and one in Outlook. 

I'd think you'd need to totally remove the account from Outlook and add it as a new one, to force outlook to redownload everything.

Glad your fix worked though.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.