Author Topic: Can a cobbler do this?  (Read 2295 times)

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
Can a cobbler do this?
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
I've had a great pair of boots for about a year that I love and that fit me perfectly. I found them at a thrift store and when I tried them on, I guess I was on carpeting, because there's no way I would have missed the clack-clack-clack sound the heels make when walking on a hard surface. The heel is less than an inch and kind of clunky, and I think it must be hollow.

Could a shoe repair person help with this & if so, what would you expect the cost might be?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Can a cobbler do this?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
Should be a pretty simple change out.  My guy would probably charge around $30-40, but shoe repair prices can vary a lot.  I think he is a little high, but he is the only game in town.

Louis the Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
It might be as simple as a different heel tap (instead of the whole heel) which is super cheap. A lot of shoes are made with plastic heel taps which are quite clacky. A rubber heel tap will be much quieter but be aware that it will likely wear down faster.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
A little duct tape on the bottom where it won't show will both muffle the sound and give you better traction if they boots have slick bottoms. You can go all out and get a color that matches fairly closely if you want to be fancy.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »
Thanks, guys! I actually thought about duct tape - I think I'll try it and then move on from there. Good to know I can save these pretty boots.