Author Topic: Camry Upgrade? $3k worth 160k less miles?  (Read 5641 times)

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
Camry Upgrade? $3k worth 160k less miles?
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
So I drive a 96 Camry LX that I love but has started having maintenance issues.   I’ve dumped about $2k into over the last 18 months.  I have no car ego, just need something reliable while I finish out the last few years of commuting.  I am FI but not RE.     I’d just plug along except for my 92 year old Grandma is ready to stop driving and her car has always been my back up plan/potential for last car ever.  I’m just not sure now if since I’ve already made the investments into keeping mine running if I’m evaluating the options clearly.  I know the 90s Toyotas are work horses but I’ve never had a car with less than 100k miles on it let alone 50k.
Goal: Cost conscious reliable transportation
I have 2 hesitations:
1) Is the cost which nets out at ~$3k. I’d pay her probably 1k up front then a monthly payment of say $200 until paid off/I retire.  No interest.
2) Losing the V6; I like the extra power and weight on the slippery hills of Seattle.

1996 Camry
190k miles
V6
Timing belt replaced ~10 years ago
New: Radiator, Alternator, and Battery

2000 Camry
30k Miles
4 Cylinder
New Timing Belt

Thoughts?  Besides biking :) 

sandandsun

• Stubble
Re: Camry Upgrade? $3k worth 160k less miles?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »
I'd probably do it.  130k miles is a big difference- and, honestly, you can just about make your money back if/when you sell one of these... They hold value, as you know... You would presumably get a little better gas mile able with the 2000?  And you know the vehicles history, which is worth a lot when buying a used car... I recently upgraded from a 99 to a 06 corolla in a similar situation- it'll be my last commuter vehicle and no regrets : )

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
I'd probably do it.  That's a lot of gain for not too many dollars.  Bob Werner can tell you about how great those era Camry's are too (he has one with 385,000 miles).  Better gas mileage too compared to the V6. 

My dad did something similar.  My grandpa gave him a meticulously-maintained 1994 Buick LeSabre with 42k on it in 2003.  He's been driving it ever since (currently around 150-160k).

There's no reason you couldn't ride it out in the '96 longer, but that 2000 could last you 10-15 years easy.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »
I reckon it's worth it, although don't assume an older, low mile car is going to be near perfect, some things still need replacement due to age.

Wait, so the 1996 has had ten years without a timing belt change? Wow.

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »
I would go for it.  Sell the older one when you get a decent offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »
Timing belt in your one is 10 years old? If that goes, the engine goes, eh? Yeah, do the changeover.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Nope, the 3VZ-FE v6 in the older Camry is non-interference...  it snaps, and the engine simply dies, no piston-on-valve crunch.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »
A camry with only 30k miles for $3k(net)?  Yeah, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
That thing is practically new. Plus you're getting airbags, which makes a big difference in a crash

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »
3K for that!   I'm in!  That is practically a new car and will last you the rest of your life only to sell it to your grandson for 3K.

For reference,  I have an 01 Camry with 385K on it.   Best car ever. 

Do it! 

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
So I drive a 96 Camry LX that I love but has started having maintenance issues.   I’ve dumped about $2k into over the last 18 months.  I have no car ego, just need something reliable while I finish out the last few years of commuting.  I am FI but not RE.     I’d just plug along except for my 92 year old Grandma is ready to stop driving and her car has always been my back up plan/potential for last car ever.  I’m just not sure now if since I’ve already made the investments into keeping mine running if I’m evaluating the options clearly.  I know the 90s Toyotas are work horses but I’ve never had a car with less than 100k miles on it let alone 50k.
Goal: Cost conscious reliable transportation
I have 2 hesitations:
1) Is the cost which nets out at ~$3k. I’d pay her probably 1k up front then a monthly payment of say $200 until paid off/I retire.  No interest.
2) Losing the V6; I like the extra power and weight on the slippery hills of Seattle.

1996 Camry
190k miles
V6
Timing belt replaced ~10 years ago
New: Radiator, Alternator, and Battery

2000 Camry
30k Miles
4 Cylinder
New Timing Belt

Thoughts?  Besides biking :)

If you have the capital available, I'd bump up your search to a newer model, even if mileage is higher. A 14-yr old car will have some things just start to break down or need repairs/replacement just because of age and exposure. Don't assume that other people maintain a car as well as you do.

The best bang for your buck, in a reliable Camry, would be ~10-15k price point where you can get a fairly new model (maybe late 2000s).

Advancements in engines/suspension/etc will provide great power and much better fuel efficiency.

Anyway, just my opinion. A car that requires more than regular maintenance is already on its way out for me. I don't have time to take off half-days from work to deal with repairs... but your situation may be different.

cartechguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
Non interference engine on that car!!  Believe it or not you haven't SPENT that much money on the car in the last 18 months.  Over my years the V6 requires LESS wear and tear on the car and the gas mileage ISN'T that much worse.

But, for a car with 30k on it and if you can afford it go for it!!  1996 is getting up to the 20 year mark and things can start to go wrong like the transmission and steering issues!!  That can be expensive to fix!!

Enjoy your newer car!!

Please feel free to ask any questions!!

See if you can get your hands on the service records and make sure the trans has been serviced and the oil has been changed on a regular basis!!

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
The odds are you'll end up saving money over the long-term with the upgrade, that's a huge mileage difference. I say go for it.