Author Topic: Camping Long Johns?  (Read 2448 times)

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
Camping Long Johns?
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »
Slightly odd question for the group.  I am doing a month-long camping trip across New Zealand in December. 

It has been recommended to me to get a nice pair of long underwear to keep warm through the nights in a tent.  I have seen some suggestions surrounding polypropylene pants versus the typical thermal polyester pants and I have limited experience with long-term camping apparel for colder weather.  Do any fellow mustachians have advice for what might be a good pair of quality thermal attire that can be used to keep warm throughout the night while also being light enough for ease of travel? 

Thanks in advance!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Camping Long Johns?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 09:16:20 PM »
For me for other cold weather sports, merino wool is my go to base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camping Long Johns?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
I like Avalanche brand but I'm a petite lady so YMMV.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
I've liked my Under Armor Base 2.0. they keep me warm in the tent at night and hunting during the day, also light weight.

The negitive is after 10-12 hours wearing the shirt, it fatigues the hair on my arms. It is a weird feeling, and generally I'll take it off for a few hours/rest of the day. The pants don't affect me as much.

They are lightweight and I've used them many, many times since I bought them in 2013. I recommend them, but I think there are other products out there that work as well.

Have fun on your trip!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »
I like wool for this, because synthetic will smell strongly enough to scare wildlife from two miles after two days, compared to only 0.6 miles for wool. The NZ wildlife will appreciate your use of the metric system. All the standard wool or 85% wool brands apply. You might also get good results with silk, but that is hard to find and I have not tried.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
(is it that cold in NZ in the summer?)

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 11:25:13 PM »
I recall reading that is is considerably warmer than most popular US trails, and someone accustomed to those would usually come overprepared for cold.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
Slightly odd question for the group.  I am doing a month-long camping trip across New Zealand in December. 

It has been recommended to me to get a nice pair of long underwear to keep warm through the nights in a tent.  I have seen some suggestions surrounding polypropylene pants versus the typical thermal polyester pants and I have limited experience with long-term camping apparel for colder weather.  Do any fellow mustachians have advice for what might be a good pair of quality thermal attire that can be used to keep warm throughout the night while also being light enough for ease of travel? 

Thanks in advance!

I use polypropylene pants for camping/outdoor stuff because it's still warm if wet. As other posters have mentioned wool is great too but is $$$$ vs on sale polypro.  If you're in the US check out Sierra Trading post online. I just got some for my kid for this winter for $7.

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »

When you get to the southern island it is supposed to get colder at night than on the north island and with all the mountainous terrain to hike in, I'm assuming the temperature can change relatively quickly.  I'm guessing it can't hurt to have one warm layer but I am ignorant as can be on this one so your question might be the best one in the thread. 

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »

I use polypropylene pants for camping/outdoor stuff because it's still warm if wet. As other posters have mentioned wool is great too but is $$$$ vs on sale polypro.  If you're in the US check out Sierra Trading post online. I just got some for my kid for this winter for $7.

Thanks Kimmarg! That was exactly what I was hoping to learn. 

adventurestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Adventure Field Guide
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 07:04:39 PM »
I agree with the merino wool sentiment. I've had synthetic long underwear and they just aren't the same. Merino wool breathes well but also keeps you warm, and takes quite a lot of wearing to get stinky.

I also agree that it gets pricey, but if you're able to hunt sales the extra dollars are worth it. Especially if you plan on using them a lot in the future. I got 100% merino wool long underwear from LLbean last year for around $45, and got some for my wife from REI this year for about the same. They'll probably last for many years, so I'm ok with playing the premium. We use them backpacking, winter biking, and just walking around the city and they are amazing.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
Another vote for merino base layers. I have smart wool but bet you could fit some less expensive recommendations on the hiking subreddits then double up with some REI/backcountry/moosejaw black friday sales.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »
I can't wear wool, since I'm allergic. Some merino items I can wear, but very very few. Most I still react to. I wear polypro for hunting. I've done it as a baselayer and one layer above it and been just fine as low as ~6F, and I'm slender. The 32 degrees stuff costco sells seems pretty solid, they're on sale right now. I don't have that brand though- bought mine years ago when a local sporting goods store was going out of business. Not sure what brand I have, but it has lasted for a lot of years and a lot of miles.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
I've liked my Under Armor Base 2.0. they keep me warm in the tent at night and hunting during the day, also light weight.

I like under armor stuff for short periods of time, but find that the material has a tendency to really stink and gets itchy if you spend too long in it.  I wouldn't want to spend two days straight in the stuff.  For whatever reason, wool doesn't suffer from this problem.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »

I like under armor stuff for short periods of time, but find that the material has a tendency to really stink and gets itchy if you spend too long in it.  I wouldn't want to spend two days straight in the stuff.  For whatever reason, wool doesn't suffer from this problem.

Under armor is one of the companies that uses a lot of  fabrics you have to be super careful what type of laundry soap and deodorant you use with it, otherwise it can get some major stank going.