Author Topic: Calling from abroad using WiFi  (Read 2472 times)

Trirod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Calling from abroad using WiFi
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »
I'm going to Chile for a two week trip starting next week.  I have a prepaid Virgin Mobile cellphone (Android system), which apparently does not work abroad.  I expect to have plenty of access to WiFi so was planning on making any calls back to the US through WiFi.  I know I can use Skype to make calls to regular landlines or cell phones, but I wasn't sure what other options there were.  Any recommendations?  I prize simplicity over everything!

Thanks

Rod

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
Re: Calling from abroad using WiFi
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »
You can combine the Talkatone app with a Google Voice account to make free calls to US numbers from anywhere in the world.  Did this a lot this year, and it works great.

On_a_slow_boat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
I use a program called Avaya one-x communicator... its my primary way of calling home. It's linked by wifi to a US telephone.

Intermaggio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »
You can combine the Talkatone app with a Google Voice account to make free calls to US numbers from anywhere in the world.  Did this a lot this year, and it works great.

Seconding this. I've been doing the same. Groove IP is similar to Talkatone and has crystal clear voice quality on a solid connection, but Talkatone is king most of the time, since you'll rarely have a solid connection on the road.